Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Swapping a van door – Will it work?
  • bikesandboats
    Free Member

I’ve posted this same question on a Fiat Doblo forum but not had any replies yet so I thought I would try the collective wisdom of the STW forum instead.

I have a Fiat Doblo lwb panel van that I am converting into a mini campervan, I want to put windows in the back, ideally ones that open for ventilation. I also want to install handles on the inside so that I can open the doors when I’m in the van (at the moment there is only one handle on the back door and I worry that if it broke I would be stuck in my van in some Welsh layby for weeks).

I have found a set of sliding doors with openable windows and handles that have come off the 5 seater people-carrier version of the doblo.

My question is will these doors fit on my van?

My van looks like this
    Doblo Van
    and the van with the doors I want looks like this.
    Doblo people carrier

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I don’t see how they won’t fit?

For ventilation, get some wind deflectors, they allow you to have window open an inch without rain dripping in.

If you remove the bulkhead and replace with a curtain, you’ll have access to the front windows and doors.

Kahurangi

Leave the metal bulkhead on and stash and emergency can opener in case you get stuck in the back, HTH.

Re. the door swap you’d certainly hope would work – they look similar shape and economics suggests that they would keep components identical unless there is a need for them to be different. The inside opening handle should be entirely covered by what’s going on inside the door – wouldn’t expect a problem there. Would central locking still work on a different door mechanism?

bikesandboats
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies – The central locking was my main concern but having looked at pictures of the electrical connections for the two types of door they look identical, I assume that the extra door handle wouldn’t effect the way the door locks anyway

willard

Swapping doors is the way that I was advised to go when I turned my T5 into a day van. You can keep the original one as an actual door and swap it over if you ever need to sell it.

Or, you pay someone to install windows like I did.

trail_rat
    Free Member

They will fit but given the glass profile differences at the front end between the two vehicles itll look like you have fitted doors off a car onto a van.

unless they are the same colour it’ll be easier to cut the holes in the original doors than to try and paint the new doors to match.

Windows in sliding doors are honestly a caker to fit infact physically fitting them in many cases will be less labourious than changing out the door.

*Edit folk honestly store a door “incase” they need to sell a vehicle ?

fettlin

The color change between the back edge of the front door and the black style piece at the front edge of the sliding door (IYSWIM) will look odd but could easily be rectified by a bit of vinyl wrap to match the two.

@trail_rat
    still doesn’t get around the door handle problem.

trail_rat
    Free Member

@trail_rat still doesn’t get around the door handle problem.

This is a good point. Pull the trim off the inside of the existing sliding door….you may find that the mounts are there and you can fit up the handle inside no bother. I’d be surprised if they weren’t inface the pressing will be the same

ceept

It looks like it’ll work, but as others have said, the paint won’t match & the trim won’t look right.
    It’s probably easier to measure twice, cut once and fit your own windows than try to get the replacement sliding door aligned properly.

Plus, is their ever a good reason not to buy a tool called a nibbler (thats what I used for the same job) 🙂

bikesandboats
    Free Member

They will fit but given the glass profile differences at the front end between the two vehicles itll look like you have fitted doors off a car onto a van.

I think you’re right although I thought I could get some black vinyl to give the same effect, either way it doesn’t look much different than if I got windows fitted like below.

van glass

you may find that the mounts are there and you can fit up the handle inside no bother

I’ve taken the trim off my doors and it looks like the place to put a handle is there, although how I would connect it up to the latch is beyond me. I’ve had a look online for a replacement handle that I could fit and haven’t found anything anyway.

bikesandboats
    Free Member

The doors I’m looking at buying are both silver and looks like the same shade of silver as my van, surely there can only be one shade of silver for 2010-2018 Doblo vans?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Swapping a van door – Will it work?’ is closed to new replies.