Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • SW Ireland hols
  • NZCol

Mindhive-I’m racing Itera later this year which is based in Killarney. Interested to have a holiday afterwards with the family – cottage/sc type deal and before I start Googling thought I would see if anyone has factoids or previous experience to share.

kilo

Blackstones cottage in Glencar. Used to stay there, lovely area nice people running it. They also have a large b and b there. Let me know if you need any good road bike routes

jambalaya
    Free Member

Been golfing there a few times, its good for that as courses and scenery are very nice, pubs in the evening. We travelled around Killarney, Dingle and Tralee, all where great in their own way. If you can get out on a boat in Dingle Bay that would be worth it imo. For a family holiday I’m not sure other than to say many of the towns are quite basic with cheap 70’s housing and getting around takes time as the roads are narrow. One of our trips was organised by the regional dairy products trade body, think lots of green grass and cows 🙂

As an aside I think the Island used in latest Star Wars is off the coast there, I suspect its now a tourist spot

kilo

The roads are narrow but nobody is in a hurry down there, things tend to run a bit later and most village shops are closed before 10.00.

The towns are small, not big on superstores etc but most of the villages will have a supermarket with a cashpoint and probably a pub or two (Caherciveen which is basically one street had at one time 52 pubs)and the people are very welcoming and helpful.

I’m not sure the Darth Vader bump has had an effect on the Ivergh peninsula yet but there is a lot of holiday accomodation down by Ballinaskelligs which is one of the villages / hamlets near to the Star Wars islands.

The Itera sounds hardcore, Kerry will be a great place, there ar some great mountain walks and big hills for the bikes.

I think I am taking on the role of the S.W Kerry tourist boad here, so let me know if you have any questions.

nickjb
    Free Member

The ring of kerry is a nice drive. Can get a bit busy with tourists buses but it’s worth it. Dingle peninsula is nice too. Bit quieter (not that anywhere round there is hectic) I’ve stayed in Tralee a couple of times and would happily go back. There’s some good animal watching opportunities and some great castles and forts if you like that sort of thing.

donncha

Top tips:
    Try to get night kayaking to check out the bioluminescence – magical
    Ring of Kerry or West Cork Costal route is a great day’s drive
    Took the trip to Skellig Michael a few years ago – well worth it
    Plenty of good beaches, mountain walks, cliffs, castles, etc.
    Check out sites like groupon, pigsback, etc for discounted accommodation.

Depending how long you had I would travel about to check out West Cork, ring of Kerry, Skelligs Islands, then head North to visit the Burren, Doolin, Galway City, Don Aonghasa on the Aran island, Leenane, Kylemore abbey, Achill Island, Slieve League and Glenveagh.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘SW Ireland hols’ is closed to new replies.