Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Suunto watches – X-Lander or Core?
  • willard

Given how often people on here talk about watches (and how people have helped me in the past with FTTC routers, etc) I thought I would throw _another_ question out to the masses… Suunto watches.

I currently sport a 16 quid Timex Iroman digital and, whilst it is a perfectly acceptable watch I fancy something a little bit more professional when I am trotting round moors and hills. However, in a lot of situations, wearing a GPS watch is frowned on and likely to get me shouted at and then don’t typically have batter life more than a day.

The Suunto X-Lander and Core both seem to be aimed pretty much at the market I am in, so I was wondering if anyone here had much experience with them as both watches and as a means of quick bearing checking/mountain weather/gucci kit. Basically, if it doesn’t keep decent time or give advance warning of rubbish weather, that sort of thing, then it’s not really worth it.

Any feedback appreciated.

rob2
    Free Member

I have a suunto vector and it’s been very to robust. If I were you I’d probably get an ambit3. Not much more £ than a core but does a load more.

I’ve just got fenix 3 mind and impressed so far

willard

The GPS is the thing that will piss people off. I have a Garmin 310XT and wearing that is frowned on in some situations. Also, the battery life is 20 hours or less and needs USB to charge, so when out for three days, it’s going to be of limited use. Same with the Ambit I guess.

I can’t believe how Singletrack this has become… Spending time thinking about niche-ish watches.

geoffj

Why is gps frowned upon?

willard

It’s seen as cheating. Map and compass is where it’s at apparently. They never run out of batteries.

wrecker
    Free Member

Cheating? It’s not a competition. Some people need to get a bloody life.

RRD
    Free Member

I have a 12 year old Vector and it’s been faultless. Still going very strong. It has been in a variety of climates (desert, tropical, high mountain and of course typical UK temperate) and I really rate it. The altimeter is a great navigation aid.

mrmoofo

I have a vector.
    The quality is a bit rubbish … casio is way better!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

It depends how much you value your street cred really. If you have none at the moment, then by all means; go ahead and buy a Suunto watch.

youngrob

I’ve got an Ambit2 and I’m really happy with it. The battery will last approx 30 days if I just use it as a watch but that drops down to 24-36hrs if I have the GPS on constantly, which only happens during 24hr races. At that you can alter the GPS poll timings to extend that anyway. Can’t fault mine and I think it looks pretty good too.

chowsh
    Free Member

I have a Core, good thing their warranty works well as I’m actually on the 3rd one. A couple decided to chew through battery a great rate 3rd seems to be fine. Not sure I’d rely on it but it looks nice in the all black. Have a Timex that has lived on a buoyancy aid for a few years and has been in fresh water, salt water, left to freeze overnight etc. and has only had one battery change.

geoffj

willard – Member
    It’s seen as cheating. Map and compass is where it’s at apparently.

Come on then, give us a clue? Some sort of Mountain leader?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Suunto watches – X-Lander or Core?’ is closed to new replies.