Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Suunto Ambit3 (or other gps watch)
  • ampthill

Having been round the houses on different options for a gps I’m thinking of getting a watch based one

Is the trail of bread crumbs helpful for navigation. I’m hoping to reduce the need to stop and look at the map or phone. I might be on the road, on an MTB or walking

As these can be had for about £150 they seem a good deal at the moment

mogrim

They’re not brilliant for navigating – OK if on road, not so good off. I use them for trail running and it’s fairly usual to have to turn back after heading 100m in the wrong direction… They’d be OK for hiking, though.

gigawhat
    Free Member

As these can be had for about £150 they seem a good deal at the moment

Haven’t seen them that cheap, have you got a link?

jimification
    Free Member

I use mine quite a bit for this. As said, you are just following a line, so it can get tricky if there are multiple options or a fork in the trail with routes close together. If I’m feeling keen I put a make a small stub in the gpx track i make so I can see “not that one” when I’m on the trail.

A garmin 1000/800 or whatever with an actual map display is, of course, better for navigation, but I like using the watch and you do get used to using it like that.

Spin
    Free Member

As already said the navigate rout option is pish. Everything else is very good though.

ampthill

Thanks folks

Suunto have the runner without heart rate belt for £150

http://www.suunto.com/en-GB/Products/sports-watches/Suunto-Ambit3-Run/Suunto-Ambit3-Run-Lime/

The Edge Touring would be perfect if it was bike only. But I also walk and in the summer do a bit of casual open water swimming. I could live without the swimming but I donn’t see going for a walk with garmin Edge Touring in my pocket much better than my phone. I’m also hoping for better accuracy than my phone or logging

In the end of course its all a compromise.Sounds like the bread crumbs would about what I expected. last I weekend I got to a road and turned left not right and didn’t notice for 2km until I hit an A road. My phone was in a pocket so its a pain to stop and check it. The bread crumbs would probably got a 2 option T junction fine or at least I’d have known to stop 1.9km earlier

Any more thoughts

mogrim

In the end of course its all a compromise.Sounds like the bread crumbs would about what I expected. last I weekend I got to a road and turned left not right and didn’t notice for 2km until I hit an A road

Yeah, that’s about it. To be fair the only reason I got rid of my Suunto was battery life, and I got a Garmin Fenix 3 as it was on offer. Same problem: a small screen necessarily limits navigation. But both the Suunto and the Garmin are fine for swimming, and while they’re not great at navigation they’re good enough – assuming you’re OK with having to stop and backtrack every now and then.

ampthill

😳 Didn’t notice Suunto were out off stock

😳 😳 Did notice the wiggle but thought I’d keep quiet until I’d made my mind up 😳 😳

philb88
    Free Member

Keep a look out on wiggle and signup for a new account to get £10 off.

I got the sport model with HR strap included for £140 on Black Friday.
    Sport model has the multi disciples in the activity selection, unlike the run. Rest seems to be identical.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Suunto Ambit3 (or other gps watch)’ is closed to new replies.