Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • suspension seatpost
  • elaineanne
    Free Member

would you recomend a sus seatpost for my hardtail bike or not ? i know they are not meant to replace full suspension or anything but surely it would help me alittle over the more rocky terrain on my local trails….
    cheers for any advice…

hora
    Free Member

Hi Elaine, they’re good for riding along/low level climbing? Descending you stand up anyway and for steep climbs you have yo get out of the saddle? I had one, loathed it- it felt like I had a slow rear puncture. Awful and its ugly, heavy and ungainly looking- the Thudbuster.

Brainflex

I have a USE suspension post on both my hardtails. They are a real back saver. They let you sit and spin for longer as the bounce helps keep the traction.

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

I have a Thudbuster ST on one of my bikes* and I love it. It allows you to remain sitting over bumpy stuff, reduces fatigue (great on all-day rides) and allows for the odd “Oomph!” moments when you were not as far off the saddle as you thought.

Down side is weight (less than a regular seatpost + really expensive rear air shock….let alone pivots / swingarms!) and odd looks. Oh and cost but again its much less than a full sus frame (or even a shock!)

Over all 10/10. I might even get the longer trave version for the other bike.

SSP

* a fixed gear MTB where standing up on the pedals is not the same option on downhills as a bike with a freewheel!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Thudbusters are great. they just work.

Hora – it ain’t a fashion contest – a MTB is a machine to do stuff on. You don’t get points for looks. If you are a rider rather than a poser they are fantastic Steep climbs are best done seated anyway – far more efficient.

We have a thudbuster on the back of the tandem – because of the way it moves you don’t get bob and the pedal / seat distance hardly changes. 3 – 4 inches of well damped travel. I used it on my hardtail when I did a 24 hr solo – at the beginning folk laughed – but I had no sore botty and by the morning folk were very jealous.

If you want a comfy ride then they can’t be beat. Not cheap but good – very good. Not heavy either – weight penalty is a couple of hundred grammes only.

hora
    Free Member

tj that was just a comment. I couldnt live with the wierd undampened bounce. It felt like primeval suspension squish squish. With hindsight I would have bought a carbon or ti post along with a ti-railed comfier saddle.

andym
    Free Member

Another Thudbuster fan here.

elaineanne
    Free Member

how about this……
    will this do… abit better looking than thudbusters

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=8476

avdave2

The difference with the thudbuster is that the distance between the saddle and the pedals remains constant. That won’t be the case with any telescopic design. I’ve never used either design but the thudbuster gets a very high proportion of favourable reviews from users whenever you do a search. The short travel version may be all you need and it is a little less ugly.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘suspension seatpost’ is closed to new replies.