Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Suspension grease?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve always used R&R superslick with no issues but recently something has gone very wrong in my Brand-X dropper, it’s ground off all the anodising on the back side since giving it a clean and grease under the main seal.

So either a bushings moved whilst I serviced it (no idea, I just lifted the collar, blew out any old crap and filled the space under it with grease like I’ve always done) or the grease has past it’s best (the tube is probably 15 years old and needs a good kneed to mix the ingredients each time I need it).

So with winter on the way, what’s the best grease for servicing forks and droppers? I’m not upset about a 2 year old £80 seatpost that will probably keep working a a long while yet anyway. But would rather not repeat the issue with forks if it’s the grease that’s gone off.

Yak

Stendec? No ‘going off’ on an old tub that I have noticed.

big_scot_nanny

FWIW, YMMV, IMHE etc etc, but my droppers have been ridiculously sensitive to the type of grease I use. Basically, anything other than SRAM butter has produced less than good results.

Again, YMMV etc etc etc, this is not scientific, but across 3 posts (one up and brand x) if I use anything else the post gets gummed up.

devash
    Free Member

I think R&R Superslick / SRAM Butter / / Slick Honey are all rebadged Slikoleum i.e. the same stuff.

From memory the stuff CRC sold as “Brand X Dropper Grease” looked more like a thicker sort of white lithium grease.

In fact, the first time I serviced a Brand X dropper, the inside was full of whitish grease. After degreasing, I just used SRAM Butter and it worked fine for the three years I owned that post so I’ve always stuck with that.

Again, YMMV etc etc etc, this is not scientific, but across 3 posts (one up and brand x) if I use anything else the post gets gummed up.

I have to regrease the collar seal / bushing every couple of weeks on my One Up post or it gets sticky. Apparently a known issue with them.

mert
    Free Member

blew out any old crap

Probably blew some in too.

singlespeedstu

I used to use Stendec Easyglide but now use this.
    Appears to be similar stuff just much cheaper.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373392526340

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Probably blew some in too.

Air from the compressor, easiest way I’ve found over the years to clean the old grease out of the seal head on droppers without completely disassembling the post. Just unscrew the head, point the air gun up the inside of the seal and give it a few squirts to blow the old grease out before giving the stanchion a wipe with fresh clean grease and screwing it back down again.

I think R&R Superslick / SRAM Butter / / Slick Honey are all rebadged Slikoleum i.e. the same stuff.

R&R is definitely different, it’s black. Think I’ll just get some slick oleum the if it’s the same stuff without the bike tax.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Slickoleum is impossible to find in the UK. If anyone knows otherwise, please let me know. Slick Honey is the same stuff, but does have the bike tax applied.

I use Super Lube. I think it’s by Loctite in the UK.

Sometimes I’ll use the original Manitou M-prep but it’s a bit too sticky in the winter

stevextc
    Free Member

There is no such thing as suspension grease but there is dynamic vs static grease.

For dynamic I use RSP slick because its cheap by the big 500ml tub and for static I use PM600 as its cheap by the long tube.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

AFAIK the top part of the suspension post runs on a plastic bushing. Bushings are self lubricating and should be dry. The internal sliding parts (brass keys and keyways) need grease. A bit of Teflon spray helps on those shiny stanchion parts!

Igus

If dirt is getting past the seal then the seal might be **** and if the post is dragging on the bush it needs replacing, they do get damaged and/or wear out. In your case dirt has probably got dragged past the seal suspended in the grease you put there!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.