Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Susan Boyle album launch…
  • arrpee
    Free Member

Apparently this event has been given the twitter hashtag:

#susanalbumparty

No. Just…noooo.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Keep up at the back please 😕

zilog6128

hmmm… I was blissfully unaware of said new album, now there have been three posts about it in one morning on a mountain bike forum. PR masterstroke?

arrpee
    Free Member

PR masterstroke? Possibly.

However, being aware of a new Susan Boyle album is no more likely to make me buy it than my being aware of norovirus leading to me licking toilet seats.

zilog6128

the sheer genius of it IMO is that you & the countless other thousands blogging and retweeting this to everyone you know aren’t even aware that you’ve been manipulated 😆

nickjb
    Free Member

I’ll bet it’s ‘trending’, whatever that means. Someone has earned their Christmas bonus.

jon1973
    Free Member

hmmm… I was blissfully unaware of said new album, now there have been three posts about it in one morning on a mountain bike forum. PR masterstroke?

As much as some topics on here annoy the hell out of me, it shouldn’t be any great suprise to you that ‘off topic’ subjects turn up on an off-topic forum. There aren’t too many threads on the chat forum that have anything to do with bikes.

zilog6128

The point is, it’s got thousands of people all over the net who normally wouldn’t be talking about a new Susan Boyle album, taking about a new Susan Boyle album. As nick said ^^^ someone has earned their bonus big time!!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Just who was disappointed to find out it was a music album and not something more exotic?

officialtob
    Free Member

The PR company knew what they were doing all along – they’re not stupid.

nealglover
    Free Member

However, being aware of a new Susan Boyle album is no more likely to make me buy it …..

And yet as someone who presumably would never consider buying a Susan Boyle album, you are happily helping along their marketing campaign for free.

Thats Very kind of you 😉

arrpee
    Free Member

Yes, I’m sure that STW forum members up and down the country are hammering down the doors of HMV as we speak. Damn those wily marketing types, eh?

I do wonder (very idly) how the singer in question will view her PR bods’ decision to surreptitiously link her good name with an imaginary carnival of bum fun. Hope she doesn’t end up sectioned again as a result.

jon1973
    Free Member

And yet as someone who presumably would never consider buying a Susan Boyle album, you are happily helping along their marketing campaign for free.

I’m not sure I’m convinced by this argument that by talking about someone you’re playing in to the hands of the marketers / advertising companies.

Are you really saying that previously non-fans of Susan Boyle are going to be buying her album in droves because someone has pointed out an amusing twitter hash tag?

People talking about something and translating that into profit are two very different things.

I’m not sure Freddie Starr for example has seem a massive rise in his income despite his recent appearence in the news and on forums like this one.

jfletch
    Free Member

If it wasn’t on purpose why whould they use

Susan Album Party #susanalbumparty

and not the more natural

#susansalbumparty Susan’s album party

This gives it away.

zilog6128

I’m not sure I’m convinced by this argument that by talking about someone you’re playing in to the hands of the marketers / advertising companies.

Really? This is the entire point of a marketing/ad campaign – to get people thinking/talking about a product.

Yes, I’m sure that STW forum members up and down the country are hammering down the doors of HMV as we speak. Damn those wily marketing types, eh?

Perhaps not you, because you’re clearly awesome and immune to all types of marketing, but for the hard of thinking here’s how it works: people think they’ve found an amusing slip-up so they post it on mtb/snowboarding/beekeeping forum/twitter/whatever. They have a good laugh but at the same time are made aware that Boyle has a new album out. Granted, they might not want it for themselves but they think, hang on, mum/dad/gran/whoever likes that kind of shit – BOOM – christmas pressie sorted. You did know christmas is just around the corner, right?

jon1973
    Free Member

Really? This is the entire point of a marketing/ad campaign – to get people thinking/talking about a product.

No, the point of a good marketing campaign is to get people thinking about something is a positive way which will result in them buying something.

What good is it if people talk about your product but don’t buy it?

The best advert in the world with no uplisft in sales is not a sucessful campaign.

zilog6128

The best advert in the world with no uplisft in sales is not a sucessful campaign.

Cite example please or STFU 😆

jon1973
    Free Member

You’re missing the point. I’m saying that having people talk about your product is not necessarily enough to imporve your sales.

Are you saying that sales don’t matter – it’s all about publicity?

zilog6128

I’m saying that having people talk about your product is not necessarily enough to imporve your sales.

You can say that, but you’d be wrong. Please cite examples where this is not the case.

Are you saying that sales don’t matter – it’s all about publicity?

The two are inextricably linked.

joao3v16
    Free Member

The PR company knew what they were doing all along

Bet you anything they didn’t, and now it’s too late …

Moses

jon, zilog’s right.
    We may not be interested in the product for ourselves, but possibly for grannies / aunties etc.
    And there will be other people who read about this slip-up that might buy the album.

So the uplift in sales may well happen. Time will tell.
    This is viral marketing well one.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Susan Boyle album launch…’ is closed to new replies.