• This topic has 68 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by sbob.
Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Survey shows British public wrong about everything
  • sbob
    Free Member

Junkyard – lazarus

god loves a trier and you really are trying to get a reaction

Actually I’m trying to get an answer, which was why I posed a question.

I know! It seems so simple now, doesn’t it? 🙂

Why don’t you do your usual routine of stating that anyone who has a difference of opinion to you is an idiot and we’ll call it a day?

Alternatively you could send me a bike. 😀

(I promise if I receive a bike from both footflaps and Junkers I’ll pass one on to someone else who is needy 😉 )

I’m off to discuss the pros and cons of the Nordic model with my suitably Nordic other half, probably over some skorpor and salmon.
    Sweet dreams everyone, please send me a bike.

kimbers

that survey basically describes the views of either or both of my parents my mum in particular started reading the daily mail a few years back and its shocking how right wing her views have become

the sad thing is in the 80s my parents raised me on ben elton and spitting image now they vote for nigel (%*!*% farage

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

You sound inebriated sbob. Are you ?

footflaps

My soon to be FIL gets the Express and it’s truly scary what they put in that: you’d think they were rounding up white people and forcibly converting them to Islam whilst being raped by immigrants who then dance naked on Diana’s grave.

* or possibly that’s just a dream I had last night and I’m getting two confused….

Stoner
    Free Member

now, now, Ernie.

The accepted phrase to preserve the dignity of our parliament forum is to say “incapable”. At least according to the inestimable Clare Short 😀

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

😐 And there was me thinking I was being proper posh by not saying pissed.

kimbers

everytime sbob posts I have to prevent myself from calling him spongebrain, cant remember who on here first called him that but it sums up his posts quite well

Im sure in real life hes a perfectly articulate and rational person

Junkyard
    Free Member

Yes but does he find himself as funny in the real world as on here?

sbob
    Free Member

kimbers – Member

that survey basically describes the views of either or both of my parents my mum in particular started reading the daily mail a few years back and its shocking how right wing her views have become

the sad thing is in the 80s my parents raised me on ben elton and spitting image now they vote for nigel (%*!*% farage

You are my brother and I claim my *five pounds!

*Alternatively please send bike.

sbob
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

You sound inebriated sbob. Are you ?

To be honest it’s almost completely worn off.

sbob
    Free Member

kimbers – Member

everytime sbob posts I have to prevent myself from calling him spongebrain, cant remember who on here first called him that but it sums up his posts quite well

Im sure in real life hes a perfectly articulate and rational person

I’m sure in real life you wouldn’t exchange a reasonable response with a petty insult… 💡
    😉

PJM1974
    Free Member

Everyone loves cuddly Labour…but I can never forgive them for the lies and the warmongering that have left hundreds of thousands dead.

I’m a child of the 1980s though, which means that I can never, will never vote Tory.

I’m screwed.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Lib dem then what could possibly go wrong 😉

It me next …gets excited for witty response from sbob

kimbers

I’m sure in real life you wouldn’t exchange a reasonable response with a petty insult…

ok genuine serious voice.. I know I feel bad having typed it and its mean of me really, it stems from 2 things 1) your views can be so opposed to mine that I find them hard to accept 2) your grammatical style can be discombobulating

Junkyard
    Free Member

Kimbers are you expecting a grown up response? and you bit as well?

He has his views which is fine but I am sure he is fully ware of his presentational style and it is no accident

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’m sure in real life you wouldn’t exchange a reasonable response with a petty insult…

He says after accusing “lefties” of being bitter and jealous, and hypocrisy.

All virtues no doubt and not considered to be “petty insults” by sbob

sbob
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

He says after accusing “lefties” of being bitter and jealous, and hypocrisy.

All virtues no doubt and not considered to be “petty insults” by sbob

I hardly think an obviously tongue in cheek general quip made in an entirely relevent context compares with a direct personal insult, but if you want to jump up onto that bandwagon you go for it. 😀

3/10 for discreditation.

Actually, 2/10 as I didn’t accuse “lefties” of “being hypocrisy”.
    A point only made as your predeliction for deliberately misconstruing people’s posts to score points has been noted. 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The bigger problem and more worrying factor is that I have very little faith in the general public to understand percentages. If you asked people how many out of 100 you might have got different ansewers

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

an obviously tongue in cheek general quip

Ah, you were only joking – in reality you wouldn’t dream of making derogatory remarks about lefties. Obviously !

I didn’t accuse “lefties” of “being hypocrisy”.

This is very true, you reserved the petty insult of hypocrisy for “middle class Guardian readers”.

I should have made that clear distinction between “lefties” and “middle class Guardian readers” which you made. I was wrong not to, but then as you note in a further petty insult I “deliberately misconstruing people’s posts to score points”

Although of course you deliberately misquoted me to make my comment appear grammatically incorrect. Presumably to score points ?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

From OP link: Bobby Duffy, the managing director of Ipsos Mori Social Research Institute, said….

I think the interesting irony from the original article was the choice to quote Mori SRI. In addition, to people “being wrong” about things there is a large body of academic material that contrasts what people say they do and what they actually do. Attitudes/belief v actual behaviour. So why do we bother with institutions like Mori since there results are (more than?) likely to bear no/little relation to what happens.

One of my favourite examples from the fmcg world was the finding that something like 70% of those who voted Flora their favourite margarine in the 1990s actually admitted that they had never bought/tasted it!!

Makes life a little interesting if you are in fmcg marketing!!

Northwind

Stats are great… My personal favourite is from the last census. The leading question used led to 53% of people saying they were christians.

But the exact same question followed with “Do you believe in god” found that 52% of these christians did not.

Excellent work, maths, take the rest of the day off.

However… This isn’t a saying/doing survey, it’s a “what do you think” survey, so sure you can’t assume that the answers are accurate, but it does remove the biggest disconnect- you wouldn’t want to work with the exact numbers but the gist of it is probably still informative.

aracer
    Free Member

Junkyard – lazarus
    dont listen to him think only of yourself oh and of course slag off labour…the kindly lady would be proud of you

There is no such thing as society.

Junkyard
    Free Member

So why do we bother with institutions like Mori since there results are (more than?) likely to bear no/little relation to what happens.

Yes we need more economic bodies – that sort of thing can anyone doubt their ability to predict future behaviour….oh the ironing

Do the stats bear this up – see what I did there
    I thought they were pretty robust in terms of elections and that sort of thing where they can be tested against the real world.
    I once got a driving survey that asked me what % of drivers were below average – I guessed at 50% on that one.

it’s a “what do you think” survey

Its a question no one can get wrong as it is what they think
    the point was to show that , on average, what people think has only a passing flirtation with reality. As STW ers I am sure we will all agree on that point if nothing else 😉

Northwind

Junkyard – lazarus

Its a question no one can get wrong as it is what they think

But they can give a false answer. Why they would do so, is complicated, mostly it’s because we’re all dicks.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

JY – any point in that?

brooess
    Free Member

Since when has the electorate being mis-informed been news?

Seeing the number of people reading the Metro in the morning tells me people are quite complicit in being mis-informed as well…

Junkyard
    Free Member

But they can give a false answer.

Well they could and I am sure there are some demand characteristics that affect it – iirc less people admit to voting Tory when asked as even they know this makes them look like **** 😉 { for clarity I just made that up but it sounds plausible]

Why they would do so, is complicated, mostly it’s because we’re all dicks.

Indeed folk often give a perception of how they want to be seen rather than a reality but I would assume there is less scope for this in what % of the population is immigrant – ie guess a fact

More broadly yes we are all more likely to lie when surveyed so yes we can all be dicks

JY – any point in that?

Would some emboldening help?
    I doubt it needs to be made explicit for you to get it so the better question would be what is your point?

thomthumb
    Free Member

that I have very little faith in the general public to understand percentages.

my bil is a Dr. Told a patient in surgery she had a “half a percent chance” of being left infertile after treatment. Response “that’s one in a million though” 😯

sbob
    Free Member

Sadly, no bicycle was couriered to me this morning.
    I can only conclude that this forum is actually populated by nasty tories.

Sad times. 😥

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Survey shows British public wrong about everything’ is closed to new replies.