Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Surrey Road Rage – I think its getting worse
  • mcboo
    Free Member

A new low for the angry car people of the Surrey Hills…..somewhere between the descent after Box and Headley we got buzzed by a nun.

Seem to be more and more people who’s reaction to the presence of cyclists is to lean on the horn and rev the engine. Doesnt matter what you are doing, single file, two up they just dont seem to think we are allowed on the road.

Is it getting worse? One too many angry articles in the Telegraph and maybe some people not happy that roads are now being closed for sportives……I kind of have some sympathy for that view tbh….

Jamie
    Free Member

…..somewhere between the descent after Box and Headley we got buzzed by a nun.

Hopefully you warned her about her bad habit.

I’ll get my wimple…

wwaswas

get their numbers and use this to report them;

http://www.operationcrackdown.org/

(not sure if this is nationwide or just Sussex Police but other forces may have similar sites)

Police don;t seem to prosecute much from what I’ve seen but a letter through the post is going to (maybe) make people think before they do it again.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jambalaya
    Free Member

Some of the grumpiest and lest tolerant people I’ve met have been those “committed to the church”

xcgb
    Free Member

Yeah my missus suffered quite a few beatings and humilitaions at school from nuns
    Bit off topic I know though!

Cheezpleez

Yes, I find the Surrey hills are alive with the sound of beeping.

njee20
    Free Member

Not something I’ve noticed.

D0NK

I think there’s arseholes who will purposely buzz you and there’s idiots who genuinely have no idea how much room cyclists need – almost left hooked by a lady recently, seemingly no ill intent, she knew I was there, innocent smile on her face, calmly turned left at a reasonable speed, just passed wayyyy too close to me (top of a hill too so I was going pretty slow). I presume the nun was part of the latter – or are my nun-ist prejudices showing and actually she leaned on the horn and shouted expletive filled abuse at you?

Unfortunately shouting (always first resort when you’ve been scared shitless) at either group won’t help. Calmly explaining the situation to the latter may help if given the chance – dunno.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

maybe some people not happy that roads are now being closed for sportives……I kind of have some sympathy for that view tbh….

Why? You can’t do without your car for a few days a year when given lots of warning?

On the other hand, no need for any sort of road rage.

slugwash
    Free Member

Sounds like you got off lightly with a nun buzzing your back wheel. Could’ve been much worse. You could have had a Christian Brother up yer arse!

martinhutch

She clearly wanted you to climb every mountain, not just Box Hill again…

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Sounds like you got off lightly with a nun buzzing your back wheel. Could’ve been much worse. You could have had a Christian Brother up yer arse!

Genuine 😆

loddrik
    Free Member

Don’t mess with the people of surrey, its a tough place to live…

Pigface
    Free Member

Do you look like this?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Even if everyone is single file they can be difficult to pass if they are strung out.

For their own good I think roadies need to make sure they ride in as safely passable formations as possible, otherwise road rage increases and it does no one any favors, particularly if it does lead to road rage and resistance against cyclists and any organised events that might involve road closures, even rolling ones.

So maybe there could be some form of recommended riding formations devised, maybe 2 abreast at most and 2 or three long, all the depending on how social the ride is and if trying to ride as a peleton.

From times I have been behind groups I find that peleton riding is more palatable if they are clearly training/putting some effort in, but when riding socially and cruising along it is annoying.

Maybe social road cyclists could stick to clusters of 4 with car sized gaps in between the clusters, so they can go to 2×2 in areas where passing is either dangerous or the road is clear and wide, or move to 4 x 1 for narrower roads.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I also think there should be a compulsory proficiency test and maybe licensing/insurance.

The proficiency test would be no hassle to do, and the insurance/licensing might be cheap as well (BC/CTC).

And it would kill that area of argument for car drivers, so they would only be left with the road tax one.

brooess
    Free Member

Sorry TurnerGuy but I think you’re misunderstanding where the anger comes from – it’s not rational – it’s to do with change and power and frustration.
    Change – the UK and Western World in general are going through massive change and a lot of people are scared about what it means for them.
    Change – some people just can’t cope with the fact they have to change the way they drive now there are more people cycling
    Power – more people cycling changes the power balance on the roads and some people driving can’t cope with having less power to drive how they like
    Frustration – driving in the South East is a rotten experience – not the ‘open roads’ dream we were sold – congestion, slow, polluting

I get hassled when riding singlefile with the club, riding 2 abreast with the club, AND when I’m on my own… how we ride will make no bit of difference whatsoever

njee20
    Free Member

Maybe social road cyclists could stick to clusters of 4 with car sized gaps in between the clusters

Yay, lets encourage dangerous overtaking!

What’s the difference between social and training pace? What if my social pace is quicker than someone else’s training pace?

sugdenr
    Free Member

From times I have been behind groups I find that peleton riding is more palatable if they are clearly training/putting some effort in, but when riding socially and cruising along it is annoying.

Classic – ‘I dont mind you being on my road as long as you are “trying” damn it!

What about sunday drivers then TG?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Sorry TurnerGuy but I think you’re misunderstanding where the anger comes from – it’s not rational – it’s to do with change and power and frustration.

no, most of the frustration is that you can’t overtake…

Yay, lets encourage dangerous overtaking!

read the post again – I suggested moving the formation around as appropriate and going to 2 abreast in areas where it is dangerous to overtake.

What’s the difference between social and training pace? What if my social pace is quicker than someone else’s training pace?

someone freewheeling a lot of the time is a good indicator.

Classic – ‘I dont mind you being on my road as long as you are “trying” damn it!

It is the same idea as if I were driving a slow tractor round the lanes I might pull in every now and again to let the cars past, versus I could be bloody minded and driving in a manner that no-one can pass me for extended periods.

i.e. some consideration for other people on the road, the same consideration cyclists want from car drivers but we’re giving them none.

or let’s do nothing and let the levels of road rage increase and have a few more road rage induced deaths…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

What about sunday drivers then TG?

and there’s another problem – is there something special about Sundays that drivers of low competence are allowed out?

joolsburger
    Free Member

I ride around Surrey all the time both on and off road and I never get any grief. The worst I’ve had is someone overtaking in a puff of deisel smoke right in my face otherwise no screaming or shouting. It’s a non problem as far as I can tell. Central London however is a nightmare of stressed out loonies.

warton
    Free Member

.somewhere between the descent after Box and Headley we got buzzed by a nun.

I once watched a nun buzzing herself, In a basement in Prague….

njee20
    Free Member

someone freewheeling a lot of the time is a good indicator.

But what if I’m riding with a friend who’s not as quick, how does that meet the criteria!?

read the post again – I suggested moving the formation around as appropriate and going to 2 abreast in areas where it is dangerous to overtake.

I did, IMO ‘car sized gaps’ = encourages cars to barge through.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

It’s a non problem as far as I can tell.

you riding on your own or in a group ?

not seen a problem when riding on the road on my own, apart from some close passes in tight lanes.

jam-bo

Two nuns, Sister Mary Agnes and Sister Mary Vincent, are
    traveling through Europe in their car, sightseeing in
    Transylvania. As they are stopped at a traffic light, out
    of nowhere, a small vampire jumps onto the hood of the car
    and hisses at them through the windshield.

Quick, quick! shouts Sister Mary Agnes, What should we
    do?

Turn the windshield wipers on. That will get rid of the
    abomination, says Sister Mary Vincent.

Sister Mary Agnes switches on the wipers, which knock the
    mini-Dracula around. But, he hangs on and continues hissing
    at the nuns. What shall I do now? she shouts.

Try the windshield washer. I filled it with holy water
    before we left the Vatican, replies Sister Mary Vincent.

Sister Mary Agnes turns on the windshield washer. The
    vampire screams as the water burns his skin, but he hangs on
    and continues hissing at the nuns.

Now what? shouts Sister Mary Agnes.

Show him your cross, says Sister Mary Vincent.

Now you’re talking, says Sister Mary Agnes. She then
    opens the window and shouts, Get the **** off our car!

ahwiles
    Free Member

TurnerGuy – Member

I also think there should be a compulsory proficiency test and maybe licensing/insurance.

for cyclists? why? how will that stop drivers being impatient? and driving dangerously?

IanMunro
    Free Member

True story.
    Two nuns were driving along a road spot the Devil riding a bicycle ahead of them.
    Sister Mary, who’s driving, whispers across to sister Bernadette – “Quick sister, show him your cross.”
    “GET OFF THE FEKING ROAD AND USE THE CYCLE PATH YOU EEJIT!” screams Sister Bernadette.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

for cyclists? why? how will that stop drivers being impatient? and driving dangerously?

read my post FFS

they might have more realisation that cyclists have a right to use the roads

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Nun arrives back at the convent on her bike, smiling broadly.

Mother Superior says, “Which way did you come?”

Nun grins a satisfied grin and says, “Across the cobbles”.

edlong
    Free Member

Is that for all non-motorised road users? Presumably including pedestrians, horse riders, children crossing the road wearing those “heelies” (shoes with a wheel built in)?

While you’re happily giving away your basic rights (i.e. the right to use the highway (non-motorised) without a load of conditionality) are there any others you think we should do?

GCSE Politics grade C or above before you can vote in an election?

Pass a test on the libel / slander / contempt of court laws before you can access social media?

How about state regulation of the press (oh, hang on a minute…)

DezB
    Free Member

Most of the time they can’t overtake because there is traffic coming the other way, not because there is a cyclist going the same way as them. It’s the traffic coming the other way that should get off the road. Isn’t it?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Most of the time they can’t overtake because there is traffic coming the other way, not because there is a cyclist going the same way as them. It’s the traffic coming the other way that should get off the road. Isn’t it?

not around a lot of Surrey, a lot of time if is because of visibility issues.

If the cyclists are strung out in a long unbroken line then you might not have long enough to overtake and pull in before the next corner, whereas if they road in clusters of riders then you would have spaces into which to hop without causing any danger for anyone.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Is that for all non-motorised road users? Presumably including pedestrians, horse riders, children crossing the road wearing those “heelies” (shoes with a wheel built in)?

While you’re happily giving away your basic rights (i.e. the right to use the highway (non-motorised) without a load of conditionality) are there any others you think we should do?

GCSE Politics grade C or above before you can vote in an election?

Pass a test on the libel / slander / contempt of court laws before you can access social media?

How about state regulation of the press (oh, hang on a minute…)

Again, let’s do nothing and see the situation getting worse.

Those are two areas that car users regularly bring up, so why don’t we do them and leave them without to complain about?

DezB
    Free Member

If the cyclists are strung out in a long unbroken line then you might not have long enough to overtake and pull in before the next corner

Then it’s the road’s fault. Get that road off the road.

crazy-legs

If the cyclists are strung out in a long unbroken line then you might not have long enough to overtake and pull in before the next corner, whereas if they road in clusters of riders then you would have spaces into which to hop without causing any danger for anyone.

Leaving “car-sized spaces” is the worst possible thing that any club can do. Car overtakes, slots into gap and it’s now sandwiched between two groups unable to overtake further. Runs the risk of cyclists behind increasing speed (descent for example) and trying to re-overtake the car or being dangerously close to it, usually through no fault of their own.

The problem is that drivers don’t usually understand the dynamics of a club run – why riders are 2-abreast, why/when riders might choose to single out or take primary or why a group might stretch out or bunch up briefly (on descents and climbs).

Having cyclists pass a test is just another one of those false reasoning arguments that some motorists use. That combined with “road tax”.

crazy-legs

Those are two areas that car users regularly bring up, so why don’t we do them and leave them without to complain about?

Cos they’ll find something else to complain about. It’s not the actual complaint. It’s simply a convenient stick to beat people with and it’s through lack of understanding.

How are you going to enforce a Cycling Test? Licence? Number plate? Tax disc? What about the change of law needed to accommodate this (given that in law, cyclists (and horse riders) have an absolute right to use the highway).
    What’s the cost of this scheme please? And will it apply to a 5-year old playing in the park or just to adults wanting to us the road? The police can’t even enforce existing traffic law – why bring in a requirement to treble the admin?

D0NK

and what is the usual response?
    “actually I’ve passed my cycle proficiency, I don’t run redlights, I have 3rd party insurance and did you know that road tax was actually abolished in….”
    “Look just **** off out of my way will you”

Some motorists hate cyclists, doesn’t matter what hoops we jump through, you just risk putting off other cyclists.

(but cycle proficiency courses in all schools is something I’d like to see, would probably help swell the ranks)

DezB
    Free Member

TurnerGuy – how about we prioritise this?
    1. Get drivers behaving more safely and accepting of cyclists on the road.
    2. Help cyclists be more considerate of drivers.

Or do you actually think 2 is more important?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Leaving “car-sized spaces” is the worst possible thing that any club can do. Car overtakes, slots into gap and it’s now sandwiched between two groups unable to overtake further. Runs the risk of cyclists behind increasing speed (descent for example) and trying to re-overtake the car or being dangerously close to it, usually through no fault of their own.

and how many times does that happen ?

the car has overtaken one group and is now traveling at the speed of the group in front.

so if they are going downhill and the bike behind want to overtake, then this implies that the front group are going slower for some reason, causing the car to go slower.

so therefore the clusters can be arranged so this situation doesn’t happen, the faster riders are always in the front clusters.

And now you are saying that the cyclists behind the car can’t control their bikes on the descents, but it is no fault of their own???

we are talking give-and-take here – the roads are not the private race track for the cyclist group, the roads are being ‘shared’ with cars.

Having cyclists pass a test is just another one of those false reasoning arguments that some motorists use. That combined with “road tax”.

make some suggestions about how to improve things then – go on – I dare you…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Surrey Road Rage – I think its getting worse’ is closed to new replies.