• This topic has 29 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by hora.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Surrey Hills/Peaslake/Ranmore- conditions?
  • hora
    Free Member

Whats it like around there currently on the trails?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Which day are you going?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

ice snow and mud. quite hard work in the snow, icy ruts can grab the wheels, but the frozen bits are good.

hora
    Free Member

Saturday

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Bugger I was going to go then, I’ll go sunday instead :mrgreen:

geetee1972
    Free Member

Hora, who are you riding with?

glenp
    Free Member

Mud is minimal at the moment, cos ground frozen. Quite extensive patches of frozen, bumpy slush which is a challenge to walk on, more so to ride on. Forecast is for it to warm up a bit – less ice, more mud.

Watch the roads, they aren’t as easy as they look. But you all drive dead slow through the villages anyway…

hora
    Free Member

geetee1972 – Member
    Hora, who are you riding with?

You can’t come as your t’up north!

But you all drive dead slow through the villages anyway…

but a local in a Volvo estate almost took 3 of us out once due to his impatience..

ianpinder
    Free Member

I was thinking about heading over there tomorrow

hora
    Free Member

I expect a report on my desk Messrs Pinder.

No flowery writing or descriptions. Just cold hard facts.

Dekerf
    Free Member

Was up on the reigate end of the Northdowns this morning and there is still a bit of snow.

Its hard and compacted with deep ruts in from walkers and other cyclists. Its very ridable though.

I would expect the same further along over ranmoor and the following area. Maybe would be a bit harder (more frozen) and less disrupted due to lack of traffic.

If we have the big thaw though…. Wouldn’t have thought it would change much on the higher ground around leith hill though for a couple of weeks

glenp
    Free Member

but a local in a Volvo estate almost took 3 of us out once due to his impatience..

Hmm, don’t know who that was (amazingly, I don’t know anyone with a Volvo estate, despite living in the middle of the Surrey Hills all my life).

Very impressed that you can tell it was a local. Clever.

hora
    Free Member

Older V70 Volvo. He looked grumpy and old. Assumption is the mother of all cockups though……

glenp
    Free Member

Old and grumpy. A noble appearance.

Doesn’t surprise me though, unfortunately still a lot of unenlightened drivers everywhere, including here. Just ride out and take the road if it isn’t safe for them to pass.

heihei

Swinley was riding nicely last night and has had a lot less snow than Surrey Hills despite being only 15 miles away give or take.

Stopadoodledoo
    Free Member

hora – Member
    You can’t come as your t’up north!

You know 5 years ago when we all told you that “t’up” isn’t an abbreviation for anything, that you really shouldn’t try and write in Northern Dialect and that you are a donkey with massive cheeks? The same still applies.

If you are expecting to ride on Saturday with Pete and I, don’t you think you should have checked with us first that we are going to want to go to Peaslake, because I have made other plans.

hora
    Free Member

Nooooooooooooo…………

……………..

………oooooooooooooooooooo

You trying to keep me away from Diaryofamountainbikers most awesome Craigs garden aren’t you?

leggyblonde
    Free Member

You shouldn’t have told him Stopa 😀

hora
    Free Member

Hayfield and Peaks it is for me then.

(arse).

Stopadoodledoo
    Free Member

I was trying to wind him up, Odd Bod. He was supposed to be down the other week to ride around there with us but chickened out because he saw some frost on a blade of grass

Stopadoodledoo
    Free Member

And stop calling it “Craig’s Garden” or I promise you that I will punch you in the throat

hora
    Free Member

Well its got to have a name. 🙄

Stopadoodledoo
    Free Member

We could always call it “Hora’s a t’donkey”. That is a much better name. If it wasn’t for the swear filter, it would be called something altogether different though

hora
    Free Member

Aye be careful otherwise the hypocryipotomous will be along and ban!

Stopadoodledoo
    Free Member

In those 48 hours when you were banned, everyone posted up the exact locations of every bit of secret singletrack in the UK, every bike bargain, tips on how to get down a 2′ high banking without lowering the bike, etc., etc. Basically, stuff that you would have found infinitely useful and interesting. It all got removed 2 minutes before you were permitted to rejoin.

hora
    Free Member
    Stopadoodledoo
    Free Member

No need for that Saracen Hora, I have a spare Bullit frame that I got for free.

What’s that? You nearly got a Bullit frame for free? What a coincidence.

hora
    Free Member

😐

Stopadoodledoo
    Free Member

hora – Member
    Hayfield and Peaks it is for me then.

(arse).

What I am sure most people don’t understand is why you would want to drive for hours on end to bimble around some muddy hills when you could be at “Hayfield and Peaks” in a fraction of the time and ride PROPER hills.

If I ever get lucky enough to move back to the Lake District, do you think I would ever, EVER bother to ride on the Surrey Hills again?

hora
    Free Member

We’ve discussed this before…wide technical trails are great but you can’t beat a flowing swoopy trail. Plus there London on its doorstep for nights out. Miss it 🙁

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Surrey Hills/Peaslake/Ranmore- conditions?’ is closed to new replies.