Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Surrey Hills: Where For Water Refilling?
  • nuke

Seems a daft one as I’m based in the Surrey Hills but I rarely need to top up water as I’ve always taken just enough. However if I was doing a long day around the hills it would be good to know where the taps/refill stops are.

With that in mind, where do you refill between Reigate Hill and Newlands with anywhere in between (Pitch, Leith, Redlands, Blackheath, Holmbury, Norbury, Box, Headley plus any of the villages Shere, Westcott etc)? …taps and places where you don’t feel obligated to buy something preferred.

I have toilets at top of Box Hill so far 😀

njee20
    Free Member

It’s against the rules not to stop at Peaslake for some food, so I always just ask them to top up my bottle.

Leith Hill tower people are far more begrudging, as such I’m far more begrudging in buying things from them.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Find a house with pampas grass outside, and simply knock on the door to ask them. Be sure to do so with a knowing wink and a cheeky grin.

spacemonkey

It’s against the rules not to stop at Peaslake for some food, so I always just ask them to top up my bottle.

^^^^
    THIS

Can’t wait for my next lamb n mint bap and lemon drizzle cake washed down with a cuppa.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’ll either make my route a figure of eight so I go past the car part way round and top up my bottle/Camelbak or I’ll just stop by a shop in one of the villages and buy some water.

nuke

Oh dear, this isn’t going well.

I shall be contacting Jim McAllister to ask him to install a tap in Winterfold for riders 😀

njee20
    Free Member

Someone once told me very matter of factly that the owner of a certain house in HSM didn’t mind people using his tap to refill bottles.

I took this to be utter bobbins though, and wouldn’t advocate randomly using someone’s tap!

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

I also get mine done in Peaslake shop if I run out. I just miss the days of 65p warm cheese straws. Inflation has hit them hard

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Get a bigger Camelbak.

andymc06
    Free Member

The Cherry Bakewell from Peaslake stores is monumentally good. So much so that all bakewells since have been a disappointment!

andymc06
    Free Member

OT but I had to say it. 😀

Ladders
    Free Member

Leith Hill Tower apparently didn’t have any running water, hence why they were reluctant to fill bottles I should think. Might be different now. There is a pub in cold harbour that Ive filled up in before

njee20
    Free Member

They do now, they’re just a bit miserable.

I just miss the days of 65p warm cheese straws. Inflation has hit them hard

Aren’t they about 75p? Yes, you’ll need a loan now! 😕

nuke

So we have Box Hill toilet, Peaslake stores if you buy something, a house with pampas grass outside and a house in HSM although nobody knows which one (probably not the grumpy bloke who lives on the BW next to the well and duck pond (Edric’s solution maybe useful here though))…going well 😀

How about the cafes at Newlands, Polesden & Reigate Hill…any outside taps there or is into the toilets for refills?

peterfile
    Free Member

Can’t wait for my next lamb n mint bap and lemon drizzle cake washed down with a cuppa.

These two sentences help summarise my impression of the Surrey Hills 🙂

On a “where’s water on [insert random scottish mountain]?” threads, the consensus is normally anywhere there isn’t people or dead animals.

On the SH version, we get cafes, lamb n mint baps and lemon drizzle cake 🙂

gee
    Free Member

There is also a tap in the public toilets in Shere and at Newlands Corner.

GB

shortcut

If all else (shops, public toilets, restrauants, houses, hose pipe etc fail you there is always this:

njee20
    Free Member

a house in HSM although nobody knows which one

Oh but I do and actually put which one originally, but then thought the bloke may not like that!

On a “where’s water on [insert random scottish mountain]?” threads, the consensus is normally anywhere there isn’t people or dead animals.

I’d actually have no qualms filling from a stream, but there aren’t actually any that really spring to mind. I guess in Scotland you need them to break up the endless monotony of the bleak rocky doubletrack 😉

tonyd

Take the secret path half way down Barry knows best, there’s as much fresh water as you can drink. Particularly useful during the recent warm spell.

Edit: Watch out for the locals though, they’ll nick your sandwiches.

nuke

Already doing that shortcut 🙄 Taking a break on top of Pitch…

nuke

Oh but I do and actually put which one originally, but then thought the bloke may not like that!

Oh go on. Everybody loves MTBers…the more the merrier

jambalaya
    Free Member

It feels like there should be an Alex cartoon strip for this one, surely as a proper Surrey Hills rider you should be asking where you can buy Fiji mineral water ? I’m not sure you should be using tap water even to wash the precious bike with ? By the way don’t drink the lake water at the bottom of Evian, it’s not really Evian.

FWIW if I run out of water I try and find a pub with an outdoor tap, there are a few which have them, typically easy to spot as they have bowls for the dogs to drink out of. I do have a 3L camel back and a 1.5L bottle of water costs 75p.

br
    Free Member

FFS you’re in Surrey and never more than a mile or so from a shop/pub etc – stop been a tight ar5e and just buy a bottle if your Camelbak bladder isn’t big enough!

nuke

By the way don’t drink the lake water at the bottom of Evian, it’s not really Evian.

😆

FFS you’re in Surrey and never more than a mile or so from a shop/pub etc – stop been a tight ar5e and just buy a bottle if your Camelbak bladder isn’t big enough!

Blimey 😯 …pretty worked up over a simple question. It’s useful to me and hopefully others. If there aren’t any/many, then so be it and I shall pay for bottled water but it doesn’t hurt to ask 🙄

blooddonor
    Free Member

And watch out for the huge gap jump on supernova carrying all that water!

webcore
    Free Member

Talking of Supernova, what pillock put a jump in and took out the watering hole that came behind the berm every rainy day? Watered the deer and badgers for miles around. They also need to drink you know

webcore
    Free Member

Horsham Road, Holmbury, tap in private garage forecourt opposite the road down from The Mother ( trail from High Ashes / Leith Hill) Used it for years. Be discrete.

rickt
    Free Member

Just buy a bigger bladder or drink less… worst case go to a shop..

Its like in surrey you are far from anything…

njee20
    Free Member

Be discrete.

Or don’t use a randomers tap?!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Surrey Hills: Where For Water Refilling?’ is closed to new replies.