Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Surrey Hills walker rant
  • lockrobnkel
    Free Member

Just got back from surrey hills and for the first time ever encountered walkers / ramblers what ever you call them on the lower end of telegraph. I always thought that trail was a bike one not a walking one but I could be wrong, anyway for those that know it we were finishing up at the lower car park 9 so telegraph is always our ride home.
    So picture the scene barrelling down telegraph slow down where if crosses the fire track then back on it, just before you get to that little steep drop there they were at least 10 of them adults and kids and one with a baby in those carriers on her back. Shouted out to them bikes coming through and they barely moved just glared at us, I couldn’t believe how oblivious some people are as to me the way this one narrows common sense would tell you it’s not a walking trail.
    Bit of a pointless post but felt like a rant 😀

joolsburger
    Free Member

They have right of way. You should have stopped and let them through really.

glenp
    Free Member

Here’s a radical idea. Why not just stop and let them get out of harm’s way?

So they made a mistake. Big deal. There are no signs, so it’s bound to happen every now and then.

lockrobnkel
    Free Member

jules they were walking down it, just at the where the track really narrows, now i’m a parent and there is no way I would walk down any of those those trails with my kids

Woody
    Free Member

common sense would tell you it’s not a walking trail.

I find I can walk quite happily in places I would struggle with a bike and as for barreling past a mixed age group including a baby 😯

Well done on being a total pillock.

lockrobnkel
    Free Member

Woody I see its the usual stw comment! I didn’t see them until I had exited the corner hence the speed as YOU do not expect to see people on this point of the trail

br
    Free Member

Its a ‘trail’, while I’ve never seen walkers there, they’ve as much right as we do.

Slow down?

lockrobnkel
    Free Member

Yes I agree I would be a pillock or even worse if I had barrelled through / past them but when you don’t see them what can you do other than hit hte brakes and shout

aP
    Free Member

Hurtwood Control is access for all land. At no point are any of the trails bike only – how about learning some manners before you spoil it any more for the rest of us.

bobbyspangles

buy a bell?

joolsburger
    Free Member

I appreciate that it’s main use is by bikes never the less I stick by letting walkers have right of way. I am not 100% on the status of Telegraph but I think it’s a footpath. I know that it’s a fast trail and people on it does spoil the run a bit but you are just better off stopping letting them past and pointing out that bikers do use the trail often at speed so they may need to be careful. Better solution all round I’d say.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Yes I agree I would be a pillock or even worse if I had barrelled through / past them but when you don’t see them what can you do other than hit hte brakes and shout

The main thing you could have done is not have a moan on the internet.

Woody
    Free Member

Just a thought but if you can’t see would you just run over a rider in front who has fallen?

When it’s not a closed area you should be able to stop within the distance you can see – same thing happens with walkers/dogs etc. at Hamsterley and I’m sure plenty other ‘biking’ haunts. It would be your fault if you injured someone.

lockrobnkel
    Free Member

Well jules if it is a footpath then i’m in the wrong and I accept that but I wouldn’t walk down some of it as you know the last portion is narrow and not really a footpath. Oh well time to fit a bell then

lockrobnkel
    Free Member

why can’t I have a moan on here or is it only a select few that can?

Woody
    Free Member

Anyone can have a moan – doesn’t mean anyone will agree with it though 😉

lockrobnkel
    Free Member

Woody I understand that but I was honestly shocked that people would walk down that even more so with kids, yes I may of been irresponsible in the majority eyes but equally walking that section is just as irresponsible. One thing I will not make assumptions that walkers will not be on that section anymore

lockrobnkel
    Free Member

very true mate as is usual on here ha ha

smell_it
    Free Member

lockrobnkel
    Free Member

just like my riding smell 😀

5thElefant
    Free Member

why can’t I have a moan on here or is it only a select few that can?

They’re not to be admired or emulated.

lockrobnkel
    Free Member

point taken Elefant, I will quietly take the abuse.. 😉

Woody
    Free Member

You’re lucky in a way lockrob, I’m about to go out and the ‘walkers’ I meet are more likely to lob cider bottles or empty packets of glue. 😀

lockrobnkel
    Free Member

Woody jut do not report back or you’ll be standing in the corner with me 😀

joolsburger
    Free Member

Of course you can have a moan no worries but it’s just that over there walkers do pop up all over the place and it’s just polite to give them right of way. We have a nice little number in the Surrey hills so best not to piss people off, last week it was cheeky trail building or riding the footpaths that was a problem. There’s more people going there on bikes than ever so I suppose we have to make an effort to be nice eh?.

Woody
    Free Member

I’m getting pics as evidence for my defence – think yourself lucky most of the STW police are out at the moment 😉

lockrobnkel
    Free Member

Jules I know that mate, but as I said I have never seen walkers on that section ever before. We always ride early saturday or during the week as it’s so much quieter then, I just didn’t realise telegraph was a footpath,

lockrobnkel
    Free Member

too true woody TJ would want me publicly flogged

glenp
    Free Member

Telegraph isn’t a footpath. The footpath runs parallel, under the trees.

Even if it were a bridleway (which I don’t think it is either) you would still have to travel at a speed that you can control, and stop when needed, and give way to people on foot. Same even if it is dedicated cycle track.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I did almost the same last year on the pots TBH bottom of the biggest dip three old ladies out mushrooming. They didn’t seemed thrilled.

philfive
    Free Member

i met quite a few walkers up Darwen moor this morning, they where polite, i said morning to all of them and they even held open a gate for me. so there not all bad.

glenp
    Free Member

Don’t think these ones were “bad”.

lockrobnkel
    Free Member

Jules that must of been a shock to find them in there 😯

lockrobnkel
    Free Member

No they weren’t bad or nasty Glen, so in conclusion I was in the wrong which I can accept and honestly i’m just happy that no accidents occurred.

lockrobnkel
    Free Member

Glen it’s defo not a bridleway unless you were taking a my little pony with you

j_me
    Free Member

Buy some decent lights.

glenp
    Free Member

No big deal really, despite my strongly worded posting! You and they got a surprise, and a reminder. We move on. Something very similar happened to me a few years back, and I had to take myself to one side for a talking to about not going faster than I can see!

Rahter a classic one is that there are lots of blackberries on the top part of Yogurt Pots – so guess what… people like to pick blackberries. Ditto mushrooms, as jools mentioned.

nuke

Thought walkers were perfectly in their rights to walk along any of the trails…BKB, Yogurt Pots, Telegraph etc Its why I tend to avoid them as much as possible on busy weekends.

I remember last year coming down BKB and was met by a women pushing a baby in a buggy up the trail with a dog and toddler in tow as well. Slowed down and let them pass mentioning politely there might be bikers coming down and there was a path that ran parallel but I just got a mouthful. Fortunately it was mid-week so there were few bikers around.

lockrobnkel
    Free Member

Hey Nuke a cold early saturday morning is always nice and quiet which is why the surprise, for sure I will be more vigilant in the future

atlaz
    Free Member

There are places *I* wouldn’t walk but it doesn’t mean others wouldn’t. I’ve met walkers coming up BKB in SH and a cyclist riding UP deerstalker in Swinley. Seems a bit stupid to me given there’s obviously a lot of bikes going the opposite way but that’s the thing with multi-use forest, you have to have a bit in hand to stop in time.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Surrey Hills walker rant’ is closed to new replies.