Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Surrey hills shore?
  • dylan
    Free Member

I’ve just heard from a very reliable source, that the Hurtwood Control Trust (the guys that manage Holmbury and Pitch Hill etc) have been seriously hit by the credit crunch and they need to raise some funds if the area is to remain open. Apparently they’re seriously looking at building some shore or similar at the old quarry on Pitch Hill as a way to raise revenue. Gets my vote.

Anyone in the know with more info?

P.s money earner I guess? rangers blog[u]

mikey74
    Free Member

That is great news, if it happens, but I sincerely doubt it will: The trouble they’ve had at other locations with building this sort of stuff, mainly with H&S and insurance, put people off.

Fingers crossed though.

glenp
    Free Member

Hmm – not sure where that story comes from. You’d have to make the quarry itself safe before you even started. Sounds like Chinese whispers to me.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

They must be interested in bringing more bikers into the area, the re do of the peaslake bus shelter area is incoperating 20 bike stands. They used my bike as a guide for where they are going to position the stands, they also measured my bike dimensions and asked me lots of questions.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

They must be interested in bringing more bikers into the area

Not sure this is a good idea. I’ve pretty much given up riding there as it’s totally overrun and the whole place can’t really cope.

Also, shore isn’t necessarily the right approach to bring more riders in, IMO. As mentioned above, it’s a liability nightmare on private land and also it’s not really inclusive for all the tuypes of riders who use the Surrey Lumps.

mikey74
    Free Member

also it’s not really inclusive for all the tuypes of riders who use the Surrey Lumps.

I kinda disagree as it depends on how it is done.

I’ve ridden there alot and although there are usually people gathered in Peaslake, I rarely see them out on the trails so I also disagree that it’s overrun.

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

Agreed on the weekends it tottaly over run, i work shifts so ride during the week days. Most days i dont even see another mtb its so much more peaceful.

glenp
    Free Member

Totally over-run is putting it a bit strongly! Not as if there’s a queue at the top of Barry’s or whatever. Its all good for the local economy.

Not sure who’s paying for the bus shelter improvements, but don’t expect its Hurtwood Control?

richc
    Free Member

may’be there have seen the amount of freeride bikes that are around the Surrey hills and have decided that people need something to ride worthy of 8″ of travel and triple clamps other than BKB 😉

mikey74
    Free Member

may’be there have seen the amount of freeride bikes that are around the Surrey hills and have decided that people need something to ride worthy of 8″ of travel and triple clamps other than BKB

I’ve often wondered where they go.

I very much doubt this will happen anyway. Perhaps they would be better off improving trail maintenence and maybe incorporating north shore stuff into the existing trails and properly marking and advertising the trials, essentially making it a trail centre.

richc
    Free Member

There used to be some shore on Pitch Hill wasn’t there? I remember stumbling across it 3 or 4 years ago.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

I seem to recall a wind-up like this doing the rounds just the other year, although it involved ‘a mate at Guildford planning department, land owned by the crazy South African and chairlifts being put in. Lasted about a week that one did.

mikey74
    Free Member

There used to be some shore on Pitch Hill wasn’t there? I remember stumbling across it 3 or 4 years ago.

Yes there was and it was very impressive too, but the local ranger took it down because it was built without their consent. The remnants of the trail still exist though.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Yep the guys at Freeborn built it but it got taken down because of H&S.

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

Yeah part of the old shore is still there in bits.

momentum
    Free Member

I was out on Holbury and Leith Hills on Saturday, the nicest weekend day for quite some time. Saw a few riders at the tops of the hills but most of the trails were pretty quiet and we were able to ride at our own speed on every trail we rode.

theotherjonv

Having just got back from a ride around the hills today, I think money would be better spent of some maintenance of the existing trail network. Not knocking what the Redlands or Friends of Hurtwood do on a budget, but some of the better known tracks in particular are starting to get a bit ‘old and worn’ imho; and although in today’s dry conditions that made BKB for example a bit more exciting and technical for an ‘experienced’ (albeit crap) rider, some of the exposed roots in the wet are almost as much of a liability as NS stuff. Particularly for novice riders that wouldn’t attempt NS stuff but are more likely to have a go at a mapped or waymarked trail only to find lateral off-camber roots. As a result new lines are forming around them and the whole thing is suffering as a result.

I know armouring / repair is very double edged, but if there continues to be the influx of riders that SH is continuing to get, it’s only going to get worse.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Well me and HackneyRider developed some Rude Shore by the reservoir on Sunday, and everyone is welcome to have a go.

theotherjonv

haha, what, a couple of planks and some logs? I passed by but tbh, and I don’t like to knock your aspirations, Vancouver it was not.

dylan
    Free Member

I think the reason why trail maintenance won’t be in the cards is that they need to raise money, and in an enclosed area like the quarry it would be simple.

I quite liked the planks up at the reservoir!

RudeBoy
    Free Member

haha, what, a couple of planks and some logs?

From small acorns…

We had fun! It was a tricky little bit, and no-one else who passed and had a go, cleared the sea-saw and the planks. After a good few goes, we were clearing it on every run. So, next time, something a bit more challenging.

Don’t knock Rude Shore; it may look small and innocuous, but it could actually be fendishly tricky, and catch you out.

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

hahaha i think everyone on there way to BKB has a go on the Seesaw and Jump! We sessioned who could get the furthest jump a while back.

nukeproof
    Free Member

The anticipation to see what fresh challenge awaits as I cycle up to the reservoir is almost unbearable 😉

Mid-morning yesterday it looked like this…

Its probably changed again by now

richc
    Free Member

rad

mikey74
    Free Member

I hate to be a party pooper, but building stuff like that is only going to do more harm than good to the reputation of mountain bikers. The rangers are already sick of people building new stuff.

Ewan
    Free Member

Was at the quarry earlier, there was a bloke with a tractor there, I asked him about this. Apparently the quarry has been surveyed, and work starts tomorrow! Money is coming from the council development fund – who’d of thought it. The bit from the carpark to the quarry up to the foot path is going to be fenced off, and chargeable (about a fiver apparently) – body armour and full face also required for insurance purposes, also over 18s only.

They’re going to start quite small, with a skills area, and some low level shore (with a see saw). Also putting a line in down the face of the steep bit of the quarry, and a six pack. Some of the trees around the quarry are going to be cleared and reused in the shore.

Fence etc, should be completed at the very begining of next month.

mikey74
    Free Member

Cool **eats his words, with some ketchup to make them taste better**

I wonder who’s designing it.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Look at that! We built that! 😀

Gnarly…

pk-ripper
    Free Member

you were clearly the child that ate your lego

Hwulex
    Free Member

I’m a “friend of the Hurtwood” and in their recent newsletter date 04/03/09 nothing of this nature was mentioned. In fact the only mention of bikes (which normally get a decent slot with talk of permits and the like) was that the new entrance to the Pots is holding out well and prevented further damage to the fort.

Verbatim:

You will read elsewhere of the progress we have been making with the mountain bike trails. So far our efforts to prevent any further damage to the Hill fort have been very successful, with the vast majority of the diversion work being achieved by a dedicated group of biker friends.

I’m not averse to the idea though if it means an income for the trust. It’s a bit too far for me to be really bothered though seeing as I already have to pay train fare to get there.

nukeproof
    Free Member

The bit from the carpark to the quarry up to the foot path is going to be fenced off, and chargeable (about a fiver apparently) – body armour and full face also required for insurance purposes, also over 18s only.

Suggests they are going to have to employ someone to monitor the site and collect the fees?

Not really tried much shore but, if it is built, it would be rude not to try it: a whole new world of painful ways to injury myself 🙁

brakes
    Free Member

seems a bit of a daft idea to me

mikey74
    Free Member

why?

brakes
    Free Member

it just doesn’t fit with what people go to Leith, Pitch and Holmbury to ride – cross country
    I can’t see them building stuff which is going to be anything but basic and sanitised, not worth paying money for

I’ve no basis for this though and am prepared to be proved wrong

mikey74
    Free Member

What it does do is maybe stop people building bigger, illegal stuff and give them something different to ride.

jedi

pitch hill shore was/is the best i have ridden in the uk.
    i was lucky enough to be taken there 2weeks before thefish cut it down as agreed.

it inspired me to build herts shore

forge197
    Free Member

It’s a good idea to generate revenue maybe a permit scheme like Swinley would work. If it was me I would speak with Gorrick whom manage the Swinley set-up so that as little reinventing the wheel is done and see if it’s feasible.

Appreciate that that there is a friends of Hurtwood site Hurtwood Friends but wonder how many of those that ride the trails have donated or give regularly?

That should be in addition to the North Shore as that is good idea for those that like North Shore.

chakaping
    Free Member

a couple of planks

There’s no need for personal abuse.

southernstaffy
    Free Member

i can confirm as a MTBing trustee of the Hurtwood and facilitator of the trail maintenance on The Hurtwood that this is all utter shite… but of course you all knew that didn’t you! Not one point stated as fact has any truth in it. just another troll….

Rumours may have started from the fact that I have submitted an application for a grant to Surrey Hills AONB to pay for a new .5km sustainable end to BKB to be built by some guys from Coed y Brenin with help from Ian Warby of the CTC and the Hurtwood volunteers/Redlands. 2009 budgets haven’t been allocated yet so we are still waiting to hear.

theotherjonv – we are only currently allowed to maintain BKB and Yoghurt Pots. Once we have proved that we have the skills and manpower to do those in a sustainable way then we should then be allowed to move on to the other officially recognised ‘legacy’ trails (there will be no new trails). Essentially we are in a ‘proof of concept’ stage with the Hurtwood.

mikey74
    Free Member

Thanks Staffy for the clarification. I knew it was too good to be true. I do think that using the quarry somehow would be a good idea as, as far I am aware, it is unused at the moment.

I, for one, would not be adverse to paying a few quid to ride around there, on a similar basis to the day-permit scheme at Swinley, if it assisted in the maintenence of the trails and perhaps the construction of new ones.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Surrey hills shore?’ is closed to new replies.