Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • surrey hills options – which of these two routes is 'best'?
  • singletrackstinker
    Free Member

heading up for a ride tomorrow and have two route options to choose from, an MBR route and another random one i found after some random googling.

I’ve never ridden up that way before so tbh, it’s all rather academic but I want to feel like i’m not missing out on anything/doing something really crap.

Option 1 is – http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=xzzgdekqtnijglyl
    It’s in the MBR top 20 rides

Option 2 is – http://www.outdoorsgps.com/route/show/315728_surrey-hills-30-miles-mtb-loop-everytrail
    This is the random one i found.

Can’t decide which to do, I suspect option 1 is better but for some stupid reason I like a loop to look like a loop 😳

Can any locals or people in the knnow shed any light on my dilemma?

I can’t be bothered to sort my own route out, hence why I’ve not used the suggestions from other recent threads. I know it’s lazy but it’s last minute and in this instance i’m happy to rely on other people’s wisdom 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

There was a thread yesterday with 3 routes linked – just download as GPX from Strava. IMO neither of those are all that. The first would be best, hard to see exactly where it goes, the second one looks to prioritise boring miles over riding any of the decent trails.

Grace
    Free Member

Ride 1 will be OK.. You’ll miss some good stuff but you’ll get a good ride… If you have time throw a Pitch Hill loop on as well… Ask anyone hanging around Peaslake for directions… I’d offer to show you round but I’m 2 weeks into a broken collar bone.

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

njee20 – Member
    There was a thread yesterday with 3 routes linked – just download as GPX from Strava. IMO neither of those are all that. The first would be best, hard to see exactly where it goes, the second one looks to prioritise boring miles over riding any of the decent trails.

Missed that. Feel like a plonker now.

If anyone has a strava premium account and would be kind enough to dl the route and send it to me i’ll be very grateful? Linky – http://www.strava.com/activities/191182323 – email is singletrackstinker at gmail

Grace – Member
    If you have time throw a Pitch Hill loop on as well… Ask any of the chaps around Peaslake for directions… I’d offer to show you round but I’m 2 weeks into a broken bone

Will bear peaslake in mind if I can’t get hold of the other gpx. Here’s to a speedy recovery 🙂

smatkins1
    Free Member

If anyone has a strava premium account and would be kind enough to dl the route and send it to me i’ll be very grateful? Linky – http://www.strava.com/activities/191182323 – email is singletrackstinker at gmail

That’s one fast paced ride bearing in mind the trails covered!

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Don’t know how to export that gpx, but sent you a decent 30 miler instead.

hora
    Free Member

Hi. What type of bike will you be using? That has a bearing on routes. Optimum would be a new carbon Santa Cruz.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Optimum would be a new carbon Santa Cruz.

with what head angle ?

br
    Free Member

Optimum would be a new carbon Santa Cruz.

Would that be the one on the back of the Audi you arrived in?

hora
    Free Member

Well yes. A 64 plate Audi a6 allroad dsg s-line 170 Why would anyone buy a 5k bike and drive an old car?!

mashiehood
    Free Member

drop me an email, I have a very similar route to njee if you want a gox

jambalaya
    Free Member

Peaslake will be rammed tomorrow as its the MTBO event, park elsewhere OP

If you see an old fella puffing around on a blue Cotic say hi !

njee20
    Free Member

That’s one fast paced ride bearing in mind the trails covered!

Why thank you!

Didn’t think you needed Strava Premium to download GPX these days. OP email in profile if you want me to ping you the GPX in the morning.

mashiehood
    Free Member

Lovely ride today, the MTBO did make it busy but in a nice way, great to see people out enjoying the trails. 😀

offthebrakes
    Free Member

There was another event going on as well, I was doing the MTBO and saw quite a few riders coming towards me with number boards on – MTB, not a road sportive. Anyone know what the event was?

Anyway, cracking day for it, even though it did have that melancholy feel of the last day of summer!

jambalaya
    Free Member

It was indeed a spectacular day, had good fun showing a couple of relative off road novices around via the MTBO. They wanted to film me attempting an 8 foot gap, I declined 😯

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Think I may have parked next to you in my battered red Berlingo, was someone with a blue Cotic anyway.

The best thing about the MTBO for me was screwing up the navigation near the end and accidentally rediscovering some sweet singletrack I hadn’t ridden in many years. Not rediscovering any gap jumps was also a highlight 😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

@offthebrakes – yes indeed, a belated hello !

We took a bit of detour due to yours truely saying “no need to look at the map, it’s definitely this way”. However Endomondo track doesn’t lie ! In fairness we knew we couldn’t do all three hills so we made a point of doing some extra singletrack rather than direct bridleways. We where very pleasantly surprised to find we where not last (quite how slow/lost others must have been I don’t know) 8/22 teams and 38/83 overall – we did get overtaken by a young kid and his mum riding in pink sweatshirt and chords 😳

Endomondo

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Will have to take a look at the link later, can’t see it at work.

quite how slow/lost others must have been I don’t know

Very, very lost is always possible, I’ve certainly done it 🙂

Haven’t got a track of my route, so I’ll bore you with a description. Headed out north to the two points towards Albury before coming back up and clearing Pitch. Fluffed the crossing over to Holmbury a bit but did the stuff at the southern end before crossing over to Leith via Joldwnyds and the steep climb up through Burnthouse Copse. Then down the eastern side of Leith before heading west and getting the remaining CPs on the way in.

Got the whole lot in the end, but not nearly fast enough to win, which was my optimistic aim. John Seaston knows the place like the back of his hand whereas I don’t ride there enough any more to navigate in a hurry, so five wins in a row it is – chapeau sir! Smashed everyone again!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Chapeau to you for getting them all ! One or two cheeky ones down the steep Southern side of hill too. I would guess that’s a 5-6hr ride for me assuming I don’t need one big rest/lunchstop. Yes Mr Seaston has a decent track record doesn’t he, likewise the Ladies champion and runner up.

EDIT: If you got the whole lot you don’t want to be wasting time looking at us mincers ! (poor nav after bonus objective on Pitch and likewise on Holmbury took wrong option after objective, together this cost us time to perhaps do 1 max 2 more points so wouldn’t have changed much)

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Not at all, interesting to see other people’s route choices, there’s always a chance to learn, and you probably know some bits that I don’t anyway!

My two biggest problems were on two of the singletrack sections where the start and the checkpoint are marked on the map, but not the exit back onto the fireroad or BW. Screwed it up on Holmbury and again on Leith, both avoidable mistakes but it’s rare to do an event without one – very satisfying when it happens!

Have you ever done the Gorrick Trailtrax events? Same idea but using a 1:50000 map rather than 1:25000. The last one of this year is this Sunday from Hambledon just south of Godalming. Venue is always a pub 🙂

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘surrey hills options – which of these two routes is 'best'?’ is closed to new replies.