Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Surrey Hills – Conditions
  • mashiehood
    Free Member

Afternoon,

I have not ridden off road for a few weeks in the Surrey Hills, partly due to work, home and also because I am enjoying the road riding.

But planning to head out tomo to Surrey Hill. Ranmore, Westcott, Holmbury etc. Any updates on conditions appreciated so I can kit myself accordingly.

Thanks

njee20
    Free Member

Horrific ought to cover it!

mattjg
    Free Member

Hi Mashie, sunny now, but we’ve had lots of rain the last few days and even some snow yesterday AM. It’s going to be very wet under-tyre.

Gotama
    Free Member

And part frozen when i went out last night which was interesting as the ruts supported the wheel slightly and then mushed out to nothing. Looking forward to the cold weather next week to hopefully harden everything up.

mattjg
    Free Member

yeah, the roads were treacherous this morning too. The next few days’ forecast are sunny and cold, let’s hope that holds.

joolsburger
    Free Member

There has been a lot of work on the worst trails to make them a little less muddy in the last few weeks but if it’s anything like last weekend it’ll be pretty bad, especially along the lower parts of pitch.

njee20
    Free Member

yeah, the roads were treacherous this morning too

I thought they seemed ok this morning actually.

mattjg
    Free Member

off the main roads was plenty of black ice, last night’s rain frozen, footpaths too

just been out to the garage, that’s an ‘effing cold wind!

heihei

Was out for 1.5 hours round Holmbury and Pitch this afternoon, and it was probably the worst / most depressing ride of the year, and bearing in mind how bad it’s been this year, that’s saying something. Having a hangover from the office Christmas dinner last night didn’t help, but even so, trails were just awful. Even the stuff that holds up well was pretty grim. I resorted to riding the big sandy tracks.
    Not sure even a hard frost will help, because there are so many deep puddles on most of the trails. If these freeze over, it will be entertaining to say the least!

mashiehood
    Free Member

heihei – that has sealed it. leave the trails alone if the conditions are that bad.

allthepies
    Free Member

It will be full of South Africans or fat IT managers off here.

Avoid.

br
    Free Member

so I can kit myself accordingly.

You’ll need a 150mm AM bike at least 😉

mashiehood
    Free Member

pies, br – im neither in IT, South African or Fat. But have friends who is all three! Lovely chap.

Br – I dont have 150mm either but I did have 140mm 6 months ago and loved it around Surrey Hills. now riding a 29er.

mattjg
    Free Member

Some rain last night. Clear skies to the east, hopefully coming this way. Mashie, you have a new baby I think? I’d say if you have a pass, take it.

bigad40
    Free Member

I’m working today so that’s one less South African.
    Enjoy.

muddyground
    Free Member

For the main good but slow going. Hit the muddy bits and it’s like thick porridge that saps all energy. Nice and sunny though, so good for the Vit D production. Go for it.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Cold and bright morning, but I imagine like last weekend it will be pretty mushy up there. Tennis instead for me this morning. Might go for a quick spin later though depends ng on reports and mud nearby.

Generally shirty year for riding on the whole. Just glad I held off buying a new bike. Let’s hope 2013 is better.

njee20
    Free Member

Road ride for me!

mashiehood
    Free Member

Road ride for me too.

freeridenick
    Free Member

dog walk here

mattjg
    Free Member

Beautiful day out there, I’m aiming for a sundown ride and a pint.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Hangover today. Run later.

I know the conditions are gonna be lame but this weather is nice. The lure of the trails will be too strong to resist tomorrow.

mattjg
    Free Member

Beautiful day out there, I’m aiming for a sundown ride and a pint.

J-R

Just back from Leith Hill. Plenty of puddles in the usual places, but some lovely sections on the sandy tracks. Much more fun than the road today.

kilo

Lovely up there today, bit damp in places, we were over Holmbury side, but not bad. mrs kilo got to use her new bike as well

mattjg
    Free Member

I don’t recall Surrey Hills ever being so grim that a road ride would be better! (I’m not anti-road and it has been known for me to bat for the other team too).

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Whatever you do, usual plea: Stay off Parklife until the spring…

kilo

Mr Woppit – Member

Is parklife aka yogurt pots?

allthepies
    Free Member

yup

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Kilo – that was this year!?!? 😉

loum
    Free Member

yogurt pots wouldn’t be the same without the yogurt

FieldMarshall

Why?

No signs today suggesting that you shouldnt ride it.

mattjg
    Free Member

just in from a Dorking -> Holmbury loop, it’s not so bad on the main trails, didn’t do any of the “gnarr” Pitch stuff.

the sky is clear and temps dropping fast, it’s going to be facebitingly cold tonight and a great tomorrow for anyone OK with a bit of frost nip.

bloody nice pint of ‘Wandle’ in the Hatch. (The proper Hatch).

pfffff.

heihei

Actually the work done on Parklife / Yog Pots has made it one of the better trails in the grim conditions. Credit to the trail pixies who have done a tremendous job.

I went exploring over St Marthas today and have to say the sandy soil and much lower traffic made for some cracking riding. The odd patch churned by horses but had soooo much more fun today than yesterday. There’s some upside to grim trails – forces you to get the map out and explore and you inevitably turn up a few hidden gems of trails.

JCL
    Free Member

Get out there and lock you back brake down all the descents. If you seen anyone doing trail work, try to kick them in the face as you go past.

LoveTubs
    Free Member

Now, I’m really missing my Headley to Headley, Dorking circum-navigation route via Leith Hill.

Best wishes.

LT

FieldMarshall

Was exceptionally quiet out on the trails today, despite the car park and shop bring really busy.

Only saw 2 other bikes in over an hour on Pitch/winterfold at one stage.

Conditions really variable. Found some lesser ridden stuff that was bone dry, but popular sections were a mud fest.

mashiehood
    Free Member

My road ride was chilly! Rode past some well known trails and didn’t see a single mountain biker. In my opinion that’s a good thing as trails will get time to recover. Lovely say today, felt awful on the bike, just one of those days.

spacemonkey

forces you to get the map out and explore[/u] and you inevitably turn up a few hidden gems of trails.[/u]

Regardless of conditions or company, this is sometimes exactly what you need to do. Just head off the beaten track and keep those wheels turning … 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Saw 3 guys riding down from Holmbury St Mary who were filthy. Was nice on the road – dry, no ice! A pleasant 50 miles.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Surrey Hills – Conditions’ is closed to new replies.