• This topic has 17 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by escrs.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Surrey Hills
  • escrs
    Free Member

Looking to go explore Surrey Hills a little more

I know the trails on Holmbury hill well (BKB, Yougart Pots, Crack Pipe to name a few)

Also know Pitch hill well with the various trails and further over to Evain, northern Monkey, Fly Tipper R.I.P

So looking to head over Leith Hill way, i know Summer lightning well but what about other trails?

Ive seen on Ridewithgps the following trails

The Garden

Toad of toad hall

Wind in the Willows

Casper

Route 66

Are these worth an explore? are they better than Holmbury and pitch hills trails?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I went the other way at the weekend – winterfold then pitch.

Evian

N Monkey

Summer madness

C Bronson

Top of three amigos which was great

Area 51

Then back to Pitch. All were great. The steps on Evian getting bigger. 3A such fun if you avoid the fallen tree

Easier link than Holm to Leith IMO

escrs
    Free Member

Cheers but those trails i ride quite often

Looking for stuff over leith hill way for a change

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Sure. Excuse me – just loved the way they rode on Sat 😉

On Leith I just tend to explore the area N of tower and get lost in bomb holes in the rhododendrons!! Then work over towards SL

have fun

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Sorry misread 😡

deadkenny
    Free Member

Leith’s unofficial trails are a bit of a maze and a lot are just natural-ish tracks. Difficulty is stringing them together in a reasonable loop and coping with overgrowth in the summer. Fun downhilly-ish stuff is mostly near the tower though. Note, there were some crazy big jumps there. The fun police (SWT) have removed them (they were dodgy anyway).

There’s a lot more to Surrey Hills beyond, but a lot is pretty sensitive and best not advertised publicly. Best thing is to hook up with a group or shop ride.

spacemonkey

Plenty of trails immediately NW of the tower on Leith Hill.  Not much in the way of fast and flowy – that’s more for the likes of Wind in the Willows and others in that vicinity.  If you knew where you were going you could string together a tidy little 90-120 min session – you just need to familiarise yourself with the place.  Very different to Holmbury, Pitch and WF etc.

Akers

I thought  Evian and Area 51 were considered Out Of Bounds these days due to local sensitivities??

As for Leith Hill, just go explore, all the trails you mention are worth a ride at least once. When you get to the bottom of willows, head west over to Leith Hill Road. From there you can do Live at the Witch Trials, which although pedals/not very steep, is ok when dry and has some nice little features. At the end cross Abinger Common Road diagonally into Bend Sinister.  At the bottom, turn right and back north up the trail and all the way back to the tower.

escrs
    Free Member

Cheers guys thats the kind of info i was after

Evian and Area 51 are still ok to ride, once you hit the bottom of Evian there is signage saying Private land/no entry on one of the climbs out, so you just head up the main footpath straight back to the top

myti
    Free Member

Yes the trails over Leith are definitely worth a ride. There’s several nice fast flowy ones north of the rhody maze mentioned. If standing at the tower looking north head into the trees to the north  west or take a look on Strava.

snooze
    Free Member

As I understand it Evian is not OK to ride. Jim McAllister’s land starts about halfway down Evian. There were more Private Land/No Entry signs from the point where his land starts, but these have been removed.

markoc1984

Superflow on Leith Hill is one of my favourite trails in the Surrey Hills, very fast and flowy, but the start can be difficult to find if you don’t know where to look.

mahalo

yeah the area around route 66, superflow etc are the only trails worth bothering with over that side imo, some pretty flat out runs in there and some nice sendy features. all quite short tho so tend to do laps of the best ones. id carry on over to redlands or even ride hindhead instead for some steeper stuff.

escrs
    Free Member

Well i parked up in Peaslake and rode over to Leith hill

Rode summer lightening and then worked my back up to the tower, checked out the Garden, wind and willows and a few others that showed up on my Garmin

Headed back over to Peaslake and rode BKB and crackpipe (one of my favs) a few times and headed on to pitch hill to do a few of the trails on there

Forgot to head over to Evian to check out the restrictions due to new ownership of the land

Will prob not bother doing any of the other trails over leith hill again, summer lightening is ok but the rest were a bit boring (to be fair summer lightening isn’t that great either)

Enjoyed the ride over to Leith hill but will prob stick to Holmbury/pitch/winterfold for the best trails

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Agree on crack pipe. Quiet nice that it’s is not too popular.

i didn’t see a single sign on Wfold last week., I didn’t go below Evian and top part of 3A, so hope that was ok

njee20
    Free Member

Land owner on Pitch isn’t new, he’s never liked bikes!

spacemonkey

Plenty of good stuff on Leith Hill, one just needs to spend time up there getting to know it.  Only a handful of fast flowy trails, but a proper mashup of short / technical / twisty / steep / fun stuff to be found.

escrs
    Free Member

Agree on crack pipe. Quiet nice that it’s is not too popular.

Yeah its quite well hidden, also as its narrow and steep in places so it puts some people off (couple of mates walk down it)

I have to ride it every time im there

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Surrey Hills’ is closed to new replies.