Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Surrey hills. 1 day only!
  • cobrakai

So my other half has given me the day off from family duties on Tues and seeing as I only live 1 hr from peaselake I’m after advice.

I’ve only been once before with a work colleague last year for 2hrs. He was a regular so it was just a case of hanging off his back wheel and keep going.

He can’t make it so with the use of Strava segment explorer, I’m trying to put a route together.

I’ll be there for 4 hrs appx.

Any musts or avoids? Best place to park at.

padkinson
    Free Member

You should be able to hit most of the good stuff in the Peaslake area in 4 hours. Personally I’d warm up on Holmbury, then head over to Winterfold for the cheeky stuff, and spend the rest of the time sessioning stuff off the top of Pitch.

Walking Bottom in Peaslake for parking, can end your day with church run and it’s close to the shop.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Peaslake, head for Walking Bottom car park. Head up the path there up Pitch hill and explore. Hard to suggest stuff as it’s all over the place. Flowy trails off the sides of fireroads, and then whole pile of steep twisty and jumpy stuff off the viewpoint down to the road, if that’s your thing.

And/or, head into Peaslake and up Radnor Road to Holmbury Hill, do the classics of Yoghurt Pots, Telegraph and back via Barry’s. There’s other stuff up there if you can work out where they are and how to put them together.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

What type of riding to you like? It’s very varied

cobrakai

Teamhurtmore, good point.

I’m not an all out gnarly downhiller. I don’t mind a drop off, if i know its coming though.

Looking at Strava map and based on memory, i did these with my work mate and i didnt struggle and really enjoyed them.

Northern monkey, yoghurt pots, telegraph and Barry knows best.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Ok so the ciassic Peaslake singletrack but not too steep.

Walking Bottom CP good start and either a figure of 8 ir start one side ie Wintergold or Holmbury and wirk from one side to the other.

I often start on pitch and warm up on the various middle trails (not the ones of the summit as I hurt myself regularly over there). Then take BW down to road opposites Barry’s. Go up side of that and up to H Hill to do YP, corkscrew and TRiad. Then back up, down Barry’s. Cup of tea and then work way over towards Wintergold to do NM and summer madness then work back for supernova to finish

Others may help with gps

DK knows the area better than me

Have fun

cobrakai

Thanks, I’ll have a look!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The other option is park then ride up to HHill via road or via Bw by Barry’s and do those trails. Then after coming back down Barry’s you can go up pitch and kick about for an hour or so and then go over to N monkey

cobrakai

Looking at the map and my vague memory, that’s quite similar to What We did. Figure of eight loop. Is it worth pushing over to Leith hill?

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP the Northern Monkey side of Winterfold has quite a few trails you can take in, ride back to top via tracks or road at far end where Fly Tipper (now flattened) used to be. Tons on Pitch (try and lookup trails like Supernova, John Baptist, the variois T trails (T1, T2 etc). Worth noting that if its wet then Winterfold and Putch aren’t the best places to ride. Holmbury is always drier.

Will send you a 4hr XC plus type ride which starts at Newlands Corner and takes in a mix of natural xc and a few better known built trails. Its not a trail centre style ride but a mix of what the SH has to offer, fast natural descents, some views, quite a dry route too.

oikeith

I rode Surrey Hills last week for the first time, it was very boggy in some of the flatter stuff which made some of it annoying as I couldnt carry as much speed as I hoped.

I enjoyed the lines coming off pitch hill but didnt think the climb up warranted the downs. We then did a loop going across the road which went through some jumps and then ended up passing a big step up and finishing with a ladder drop which was fun. The little shop in the bottom is awesome too, really like the cheese sticks!

When leaving we stopped at a layby near Pirbright Camp which had an awesome step up and table top in it. The step up was great as you could just pump down the hill to get over it and then try some style or tricks! Its up there as one of the best jumps I have rode actually!

cobrakai

So my work mate is coming with a catch. I’ve to pick the route and he’ll follow, making adjustments I required. His thinking is that it’ll help me commit the area to memory, which is a good idea.

I know pirbright well from 10years ago. Spent 2 years running around it, never on 2 wheels though! Might go back for old times sake.

richardthird

Will send you a 4hr XC plus type ride which starts at Newlands Corner

Any chance I could have a copy of this please jambalaya?

cobrakai

Cracking day. Work mates wife tagged along to.

Yoghurt pots, telegraph then climbed up Leith hill for a cuppa.

Summer lightning all the way to end then back up Leith hill. Played on random single track.

Back over to holmbury hill then a play in some random single track before Barry knows best home.

I don’t mind climbing, especially if the downs are worth it.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Glad you had a good day. Was SL wet half way down?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Excellent, thats a route a few friends like

@richard will send you routes tomorrow inc the other one I mentioned which is much like the OP rode

philmccrackin
    Free Member

Interesting that they are all the ones i try to avoid!

When leaving we stopped at a layby near Pirbright Camp which had an awesome step up and table top in it. The step up was great as you could just pump down the hill to get over it and then try some style or tricks! Its up there as one of the best jumps I have rode actually!

i believe you are talking about Tunnel Hill, just east of Mytchett Place Road? its an absolutely cracking little spot for a play about! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rflU8Ta0Krs i heard its at risk of being fenced off…

oikeith

Yeah that’s the spot, I actually only rode the table top and step up. Was too lazy to go check the lines my buddies went off to ride, looks like I missed out!

cobrakai

Teamhurtmore, the bike barely needed washed when I got back. Everywhere was pretty dry.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Surrey hills. 1 day only!’ is closed to new replies.