Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 257 total)
  • Surprised the new “Shed Fire” frame isn’t being ooh-ed and aah-ed over
  • RustySpanner

In all honesty, and as a bit of a newbie to this site, I can’t see why this bloke and his products seem to attract such a mixed range of opinions.

You don’t see people getting all frothy and shouty over Cotic/Charge/Dialled Bikes and their designers.

I have no opinion either way, but as per Hora’s post, seems only sensible to give someone the benefit of the doubt, until they prove otherwise.

Hairychested
    Free Member

RS, with time you’ll learn 😉 Enjoy your innocence!

molgrips
    Free Member

Molgrips you drink too much coffee.

Dunno what that means.

“Sorry if I sound a cock a times” – useful phrase to know, RB.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    RudeBoy
    Free Member

I’m sure it is, molgrips.

One, I’m sure, you use quite a lot… 😉

The door was left wide open…

molgrips
    Free Member

One, I’m sure, you use quite a lot…

I do, frequently. I always try to apologise whenever I think I may have upset people. I’ve done so on this thread I think – if it wasn’t clear I’ll say again:

Sorry for being overly annoyed – RB did say some positive things and I’d overlooked that. I was still a bit annoyed tho which is fair.

infidel
    Free Member

Sorry if this is a silly question but I don’t really understand bike geometry in relation to bike use; for example this bike being a steep uphill and steep downhill bike – can someone please explain? Also, what does Calderdale new school mean?!

Bike looks nice. I actually like the seat stay and chain stay thingies!

Ta

matt_outandabout

infidel – come to Calderdale (and many other gritstone edged areas) and find out quite how unbelievably steep some of the trails can be!

rs
    Free Member

calderdale new school means what the other guys have already done the past year, slack steering for descending and steep seat angle for climbing, 😀 where’s my handbag?

infidel
    Free Member

gottit. So not a south downs bike then?!!! So how do the frame angles relate to trail steepness (is steepness a real word?)

P.S. EDIT for handbag content re: above:
    I think Harry the Spider has them – he can post if you like?!
    If out of stock, please contact an alternative supplier such as RudeBoy or Molgrips.

Tongue firmly in cheek.

CountZero

Been reading this thread on and off for a while, and I thought I’d chuck in a couple of observations. First, I really like the overall look of the frame. Aesthetics are important; I’m not an engineer, but generally when something looks right it generally is, Bauhaus School of design, fitness for purpose and all that. The drop-outs are particularly neat, and putting the brake caliper inside the seat/chainstay triangle. The chainstay/BB junction I’m in two minds about, it’s very similar to Evil’s Sovereign, which I like, but that extra brace looks like a horrendous mud-trap. The plate chainstay brace I’m afraid I don’t like, personally, something like the X-shaped brace someone posted up early on is much nicer looking, or a slightly curved version thereof. Take a look at the wonderful curved stone butresses under the tower of Wells Cathedral, to see what I mean. The screw-in cable guides I really don’t see a problem with, TBH. If running as a SS, then a couple of stainless bolts will neatly keep water out, while maintaining a nice clean looking stay, but allowing the easy replacement if going back to geared. RB’s comment about them getting lost out on a ride is frankly ludicrous, because the cable would have to be removed totally from the guide to enable the guide to unscrew itsself, which I just cannot ever see happening. I happen to like Brant’s frame designs, which is good as I have two of them, but that came about due to other frames not looking quite the way I wanted, which brings us back to aesthetics again. I wouldn’t have bought a Cotic, because I don’t like normal wishbone stays, but I do like De Kerf stays. When I bought my first one I wanted a dedicated SS frame, and I would have prefered a Dialled, but Mike doesn’t do singlespeeds, so they’re out as well, which meant an 853 tubed SS for £250 suited me just fine. The fact that a great many people had bought On-Ones and seemed to be happy gave me confidence. As it turned out the bike fitted me perfectly and is an absolute delight to ride. Brant has done cycling a great service by creating a brand of bike that has a hugely enthusiastic following due to neat design, good construction, and great ride qualities, all from his shed, which must have encouraged the other ‘cottage industry’ brands like Cotic, Dialled, Singular, etc, which is good for everyone on here not wanting to be stuck with what a designer in Marin County thinks British mountain bikers want. I love my two ‘Breds, and will enthuse about them to anyone who’ll listen, and if RB wants to interpret that as arse-kissing sycophancy, well, it’s still, nominally, a free country with something that passes for free speech, so he’s quite within his rights to. Perhaps, though, he’d like to sit down and design a product, put it into production then open it up to the public jury that’s the STW massive and suffer the same sort of critism.

brant
    Free Member

Thanks for that CZ.

Can you find me a link to the Wells Cathedral buttresses. I remember seeing (ironically) Fred Dibnah do a TV programme on them but can’t see them right now. There was a similarly fascinating bit on a repeat of COAST last night where they were speaking about the guy who designed the first lighthouse down Cornwall way, who used the shape of an oak tree as the profile, for strength.

Bauhaus eh? Crikey.

Can’t wait for the steel and alloy ones to appear – they’re more representative of what I’m intending doing – it’s only the fact that I kick Lynskey so hard, and they’re so great at prototyping that this appeared first – but as I say – common features in all the models.

nukeproof
    Free Member

CountZero – Well put…good post

I remember seeing (ironically) Fred Dibnah do a TV programme on them

😆

matt_outandabout

MrNutt
    Free Member

how has no one noticed his:

………………………………………………………………………………………
    brant – Member

Out of curiosity, any singlespeeds on the horizon?

Not from us.
    ………………………………………………………………………………………

Calderdale Nu-skool is all about the gears innt! 😉

FB-ATB

Aesthetics & Bauhaus aside (never liked them after they murdered Ziggy), did Mike’s question in the original post get answered?

Harry_the_Spider

Crikey, they’re impressive.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Does it matter if it didn’t?

Brant, get your act together and give us a singlespeed. Or at least a tandem.

molgrips
    Free Member

Singlespeed schminglespeed.

And that is truly beautiful irony brant indeed.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I have a geared frame by Brant – 456SE, so will want a schminglespeed too. And a tandem one day 😈

PJay
    Free Member

I rather like the look of the frame although I’d be after something in steel. However, 140mm forks is rather too long for me, I’m still running 100s and am wondering whether there might be something in the pipeline (more at the standard Inbred end of the scale) that’d work with shorter travel forks.

brant
    Free Member

Is it shedfire, Shed Fire or Shedfire?

Non of the above.

MrNutt
    Free Member

It’s sausagefire isnt it?

Ed-O
    Free Member

So far so good! But what do you think of that frame with those bars?

aracer
    Free Member

The screw-in cable guides I really don’t see a problem with, TBH. If running as a SS, then a couple of stainless bolts will neatly keep water out, while maintaining a nice clean looking stay, but allowing the easy replacement if going back to geared. RB’s comment about them getting lost out on a ride is frankly ludicrous, because the cable would have to be removed totally from the guide to enable the guide to unscrew itsself, which I just cannot ever see happening.

Are you planning on not running a rear brake if you SS? I think you’ve also misunderstood how the cable guides attach (hint, they’re designed so you can fit them without having to thread the cable through).

stumpy01

Looks OK to me, but I am not really one to pick things to bits and look at every bit of the aesthetic this that and the other. (Which is probably why i ride a battered 8yr old Stumpjumper).

Seatstay bridge – looks OK to me. A little cut-out in it of a shed on fire (or a naked woman) would be nice, but obviously cost more. Whatever, it’s a little bit of metal.

Chainstay thingummy….it does it’s job and looks a bit different. My concern with it would be in places like Thetford where the mud is mixed with long piney tree bits it forms a goopy mesh (like a composite) that sits on things like that chainstay prongy assembly and quickly builds up. Thing is, the only bike I have seen that doesn’t this kind of problem to the same extent as most bikes is an Orange 5.

As for the cable guide bits….so long as they are put in carefully when first built I don’t see the problem. When the bike is contructed, they won’t really show as the cables will virtually cover them, the won’t come out as the guide won’t be able to rotate about the cable and when purple anodising comes back you can buy some nice purple cable guides to go with your purple bars, brake levers, pedals, hubs, cranks etc.

miketually
    Free Member

Chainstay thingummy….it does it’s job and looks a bit different. My concern with it would be in places like Thetford where the mud is mixed with long piney tree bits it forms a goopy mesh (like a composite) that sits on things like that chainstay prongy assembly and quickly builds up. Thing is, the only bike I have seen that doesn’t this kind of problem to the same extent as most bikes is an Orange 5.

I don’t think it would collect debris any more than any other chainstay bridge design. It’s more about the clearance, which is big.

kiwijohn

So can I get one in Oz?

kelvin

I don’t think it would collect debris any more than any other chainstay bridge design.

I think stumpy01 acknowledged that.

Of course, not all bikes have a chainstay bridge.

cp

my two penny’s worth – I’ve no idea what the guides actually look like, but tbh, there’s other bolts on the bike I’d be WAY more worried about coming loose mid ride. Like stem bolts. And brake caliper bolts…. none of those have come loose on a ride before (and don’t bother me), so the a bolt holding a hose/cable on really wouldn’t bother me in the slightest.

In fact, I really like the idea

Woody
    Free Member

Those bars struck a chord ! I have a pair in my garage which were a prototype from either PX or O-O and they are a very similar shape except on mine the tubes are continued to make a clamping area + a top brace.

Strongest and definitely the heaviest bars I have ever owned and would certainly live up to the sales tag of “would be good in a fight” 😯

molgrips
    Free Member

Brant, can you have the option of having something laser cut into that seatstay bridge plate? Own design supplied (subject to engineering requirements) or a logo or something.

Or maybe just something etched in there if removing material would be a problem.

brant
    Free Member

Brant, can you have the option of having something laser cut into that seatstay bridge plate?

Of course. But I’m not sure what, if anything.

richc
    Free Member

cup of tea?

mavisto
    Free Member

Just been having a look at those bars on Twitpic.

Why???????????????????????

Does that design make them stiffer, cheaper to make (weld vs bend), lighter?

Not sure I get it. Afraid I don’t like the look either, makes them appear unfinished.

kelvin

There’s a news story on the front page of this site mavisto.

brant
    Free Member

There’s a news story on the front page of this site mavisto.

God help us if this went off topic 😉

mavisto
    Free Member

Cheers Kelvin.

Unfortunately there’s not much more info.

Built by Lynskey usually means they’re made well and will be super light, just don’t like the look. Reminds me of my motocross bars with the bottom cut off.

juan
    Free Member

just a question though why is the top tube not bent?
    IIRC you said for the 456 titanium frame that it was better lighter stronger?

brant
    Free Member

IIRC you said for the 456 titanium frame that it was better lighter stronger?

you don’t recall correctly then 🙂

wors

where will i be able to buy a hebden bridge from?

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 257 total)

The topic ‘Surprised the new “Shed Fire” frame isn’t being ooh-ed and aah-ed over’ is closed to new replies.