Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Surly or Salsa chainring for the singlespeed?
  • stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

As it says, not a biggie, but just wondered.

takisawa2

Neither, get one of Tazzy’s Wobble rings.

IMAG0335 by pten2106, on Flickr

If you are keen on a conventional round one, I had a Surly stainless steel one. Used it for a few months & was no visible wear at all when I sold it. A lot of folk recomend the Renthal ones also.

gee
    Free Member

Surly ones are steel, so are heavy but last ages. They also look a bit cheap as they are just flat pressed steel.

Salsa ones are aluminium, so won’t last as long but look a lot nicer and are lighter. They are also available in lots of colours.

Neither are ramped/pinned so all the same there.

GB

james
    Free Member

Am also interested in this, any thoughts on the on-one SS chainring vs. Salsa/Surly/Renthal/etc?

the wobble ring looks interesting

ds3000
    Free Member

My salsa 32t snapped in half whilst I was “cranking down”. Shimano ramped 32t was tough as sheet.

gee
    Free Member

Really? I’ve used their rings for 4years and never had a problem. Used on SS and 1×10.

I nearly bought a Renthal one but the Salsa ones were ever so slightly thinner so I went with those as chainsuck will be less likely. I used an MRP Podium before and suffered dreadfully.

GB

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I don’t have much choice as it is an old 5 arm XT crank. Ordered a Surly for longevity. Take it the wobbly is oval, I got knee pains using biopace back in the day so don’t think I’ll bother with that.

tazzymtb

takisawa2…shhhhhhhhh if everyone gets one my cheaty advantage diminishes. I’m all for folks riding with round rings and suffering more 😆

oh yeh have a 35t uno compatible version that’s going off to do the rounds on a trial for folks with middleburn (only works with an EBB though as it’s mahoosive and can foul the stays on a normal bb)

let me know if you want to play with it.

(35-19 on a 29er is fantastic!)

andyl
    Free Member

On One ones are fine but they are not symmetrical so you can’t flip them over like the Surly ones. Unless you mess with your chain line and are happy for the bolt heads to not quite fit as flush. Both are stainless so will last ages anyway and what is a little bit of weight when you have no gears and shifters to weigh you down?

Salsa are nice and a lot lighter but as mentioned won’t last as long. Mine seems well made.

Seen the renthal and they are nice but again aluminium alloy.

rOcKeTdOg

Renthal #win

orangeboy
    Free Member

Surly stainless ring every time for me. The little extra weight is no prob on a single speed and they
    Last years. Just add an old xtr crank all polished

qwerty
    Free Member

Check out BETD for a Goldtec DH ring, on special and available in older sizes.

http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk/items.asp?CategoryID=33&Name=Goldtec+Chainrings

I’ve used them, last well.

kritip
    Free Member

I run a Velosolo one on mine, alu but strong and symmetrical so you can flip it round. Seems to be wearing well

oxym0r0n

I don’t have much choice as it is an old 5 arm XT crank.

I have the same issue – old Race Face Turbine – Middleburn hardcotes have done me well for a while (non-ramped version) but I was wondering about the Salsa or something from Homebrewed componentsin the States…

ssboggy

The Salsa aluminium ring i had wore out really quick, i can recommend the On One stainless rings though. Hey Tazzy is that 35t wobbly ring still heading my way? 😀

tazzymtb

mr boggy, yes it is old bean, I’ll get it in the post this week for you.

ssboggy

Cheers Tazzy, i’m running a 19t on the rear of the swift so that sounds like it should work great

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Surly or Salsa chainring for the singlespeed?’ is closed to new replies.