• This topic has 72 replies, 48 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by ton.
Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Surly love
  • Muke
    Free Member

Summer Monkey

Been on the lookout for a Krampus for months, no ones seems to be selling, not second hand complete versions anyway.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Love my Wednesday. Perfect tool for winter riding

Wednesday in the Cairngorms

Pickers

Love my Ogre…
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/285vb1e]Untitled[/url] by Richard Picton, on Flickr

Mrs Pickers loves her 42cm Pacer…
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/rsp7Tb]P1020157[/url] by Richard Picton, on Flickr

coomber
    Free Member

Normal Man

For those that have sold a KM and regret it, what is it that you miss the most?

Well for me that bike was simple (single speed), ran faultlessley and the geometry just planted you nicely. Not too stretched, just like a modern old school bike. Or for us oldies, like a modern rigid kona from the 90s.

Also had a tonne of clearance so even 2.5 up front and 2.4 rear, could ride it all winter in slop. It weighed a lot and it didn’t really feel springy but it got up to speed fairly effortlessly and stayed there if you had the skills to ride it out.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

I seem to have a bit of a thing going for an ECR. I like the look of it, I like the idea of the kind of riding it would seem to excel at. What I can’t seem to do is reconcile the price as an N+1 that i might grow to love. I worry that it will be too heavy and numb and therefore fall into the naughty corner of the shed with the other good ideas that didn’t work out.

ajantom

I seem to have a bit of a thing going for an ECR

Do it! 29+ is ace 😎
    My Krampus is no lightweight, but the ride belies the weight.

Bear mind that the new Krampus has all the bike packing mounts now (old model didn’t). So personally I’d be inclined toward that rather than the ECR, but only because I like a bit of fast singletrack too, and the ECR is geared towards more sedate big days out.

Either way, don’t delay!

confused58

Moonlit Swamp Green Krampus, the only bike I regret selling 🙁

RustySpanner

As much as I love Surly, I’d have bought a couple more frames if the UK pricing was a little more sensible.

My Trucker was a complete build from Spa, just before the latest increase and came in just at the top end of what I was prepared to pay.

However, I can buy a full Pinnacle Ramin for not that much more than the current price of an equivalent Surly frame. The full build prices are simply crazy.

I can’t help thinking that we’d see a lot more Surlys out and about if the pricing was more realistic.

Clink

What Rusty Spanner said. They are almost priced as a high-end brand over here, presumably because of the exchange rates.

martymac

Coomber, that’s exactly how my KM feels like a 90s kona/marin.
    For me this is a positive.

big_scot_nanny

Talk to me @big_scot_nanny 🙂

One of the reasons for putting my ICT frame up for sale was the limited options for fitting a 150mm dropper. So, I’d be interested to hear how you routed yours.

Also:

What is clearance like for 29+ on the rear?

Where did you get your wheels and what rims are you using?

With my usual fantastic timing I’ve just sold my Bluto, but I guess there are better options for a 29+ fork anyway.

I’ve been 29+ curious for a while but wasn’t sure it would really work with the ICT. I don’t need masses of grip at the back. I’m happy running JJs on the rear even in winter, as long as I have something nice and sticky up front (currently a Bud).

NP
    I drilled a ‘slot’, just a little wider than a cable outer and about 15mm long, about 10cm above the bottom bracket, just like this piccy (not my bike), and routed the cable up under the downtube. Not pretty, but it works, and a 170mm dropper just makes the bike even more fabulous. The trails come alive, man 😂

https://goo.gl/images/jgwPgx

Gobs of clearance for 29+, also on Bluto, even with DHF on which is truly mahoosive

My local LBS built them, Hope fat on the back, spare 150mm Salsa on teh front. Stand Hugo rims for piss easy tubeless.

I think 29+ works superbly on ICT. With 120mm blutos the seat angle feels a bit too slack, but the front end and general ride is fantastic.Bombproof, but faster than full fat.

NormalMan

@ martymac and coomber – thanks for the feedback.

pennine
    Free Member

Speaking of Surly bikes: This one arrived home today after completing its Round-The-World travels
    A few of us joined him on his final leg home

epicyclo

They’re well proven as a round the world mount.

roverpig

Thanks b_s_n. I guess they are stick-on cable guides on the downtube. Hadn’t thought of that option. I had a set of Blutos sitting in the shed for a year. Just this week sold them to another forum member. Typical 😩

andyha
    Free Member

ECR and 1×1 here great bikes, bombproof and lots of fun

bish

Current bike is a disc trucker and I can’t see me ever getting rid of it. I’ve bought and sold a fair few bikes over the years and of all of them I’ve only ever regretted the surlys a karate monkey, a krampus and a straggler (had a cross check for a while but never really got on with it). Just wish they were a bit more sensibly priced over here, from what I gather they’re quite a cheap and cheerful bike in the states.

chrisrhayes

Third Cross Check has a crack. Now looking for a new partner.

Better to have loved and lost than never loved at all…

moorsey72
    Free Member

I’d had the surly itch for some time and finally scratched It this last month when I built my pug. Serious surly love now going on, it just feels so right!
    Roverpig – I would have taken your ICT if I wasn’t such a short arse!

At the risk of becoming ‘spam like’ here’s yet another pic of the aforementioned pug.
    2018-12-09_06-34-56

NormalMan

I was out on my Pugs today. Although my Surly’s are different sizes so I get all Goldilocks at times 😄

Still, the Pug just rides so nicely. Just looking forward to a new saddle to arrive as I tore a chunk out of the current one on GFBD.

johnnystorm

Love my Moonie, bought it after I saw how much better it handled soft stuff compared to my OO Fatty.

Sold my Krampus as it was an N+1 too far.

My Big Dummy is excellent for the school run and picnic rides with wee nipper.

Currently borrowing a Bridge Club. It’s a size too small really, but it rides really nicely.

fatbikedog
    Free Member

This thread seems to be running on so I,ll add my bit. Built up a Wednesday fat bike earlier in the year using a second hand frame. I love it! Have done many miles so far- mendips,exmoor, quantocks, peak district. I live on the Welsh border so black mountains , brecon beacons and forest of dean. Not to forget Battle on the Beach.It’s one to keep.

officerfriendly
    Free Member

I couldn’t agree more with regards to the UK pricing. It used to be a fair bit less and has recently seen a significant jump in the last few years.

I adore my Moonlander a tad too much! Here it is on some cliffs – probably really shouldn’t ride there, nor take pictures at the same time:

Also, selling my Small Krampus and will be going up in the classifieds soon if anyone’s interested. Hope rear hub and brakes, Thomson and Salsa bits, XTR and XT, and an SP Dynamo upfront.

jaminb
    Free Member

Sorry late to the surly orgy

Some big dummy love – just delivering xmas beer to the boys at the LBS

Surly Love

I bought her from Del from here and can honestly say that if I had to give up all other forms of transport this would be the bike I would keep.

winston
    Free Member

You see, after a day listening to the horrible politicians and dealing with the public that kind of pic just makes me smile and not fear for the human race so much

ajantom

Proof (if proof were needed) that Surly’s make you smile.

NormalMan

Took my KM Ops out yesterday to try out some new muckynutz ‘guards I had fitted.

It was a fun ride and I smiled loads so mine worked 😎

Mowgli
    Free Member

I’d like a small (5’8) Steamroller if anyone happens to know of one for sale!

kaiser
    Free Member

I seem to have a bit of a thing going for an ECR. I like the look of it, I like the idea of the kind of riding it would seem to excel at. What I can’t seem to do is reconcile the price as an N+1 that i might grow to love. I worry that it will be too heavy and numb and therefore fall into the naughty corner of the shed with the other good ideas that didn’t work out.

If you’re a big bloke speak to Ton on here ..he was pondering selling his new one at a very good price not long ago . Things may have changed.
    If anyone is interested I have an XL white Pugsley that needs a new home as I have another!
    The wheels are drilled Large Marges which is a common mod on these overbuilt wheels. Mail is in my profile and price is £500 + post or collection in Devon.

flashes
    Free Member

And I’m after a small non disc 1×1 frame or even better a Rat Ride, now they really don’t come up for sale very often……

Muke
    Free Member

And another one….

Only ridden it about 10 miles so far but love it.

Planned upgrades…Stooge Moto bars on order, SS MDS dropouts (Anyone cheaper than Charlie for these ?) and some hydraulic brakes (any cheap suggestions)

ton

nice that Muke

my big bmx……….. ;o)

[url=https://flic.kr/p/24gsRMi]2019-02-22_04-29-48[/url] by 20ston, on Flickr

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Surly love’ is closed to new replies.