Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Surly Long Haul Trucker (Disk) alternative
  • Olly
    Free Member

Ive been riding an on one inbred based hybrid for the past couple of years, for touring, but also town bike (everyone needs a hybrid in their life) and occasionally as a commuter (should be more but im fat and lazy)
    Its a 21″ frame, but i am 6ft 4″, so even with the big frame, my bars still sit silly low compared to my saddle.

I think i have realised that while it has its advantages, it isn’t ideal

LHTs come in up to 62cm! (25″ ish), an i pressume that as it isnt a mountain bike, the BB will be lower, which will bring ones body lower down in relation to the bars.

Is there anything else I should consider other than the surly?

preferably not more expensive!
    must have disk brakes. I am looking to just swap the parts off my inbred.

show me your tourers for goons!

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Karate monkey?

takisawa2

Salsa Fargo always looks quite high up front.

RustySpanner

Kona Sutra.

Think CRC have the largest size 2012 on sale at the mo.

Never seen a bad review.

MrTall
    Free Member

I’m 6’7″ and love my XXL Fargo. Such a comfortable bike. The bars are several inches higher than on my 66cm roadbike so are about level with the saddle whereas all my other bikes look more like your Inbred in the picture with the saddle way higher.

Not a particularly light bike but rides beautifully.

d45yth
    Free Member

I would say you’ll need a new fork as well…you need something with a much longer headtube than that On-One. It would make much more of a difference than the BB height.

Olly
    Free Member

oh yep, the surly is a frameset, so fork is included. I will have a look at the fargo and konas!

rootes1

ok mine is a 64cm, but yes not disc but they do disc version, BB is very low – but comfy and stable.

but you can see bars/saddle level much more even- i’m 6’6″

pic without luggage and dynamo headlight

I looked at a vaya, but the xl frame is actually quite small..

other options.. Evans have some good deal on Jamis Disc tourers and they come in garden gate sizes!

Muke
    Free Member

Have a word with Charlie the bikemonger

headfirst
    Free Member

I’ve got a surly disc trucker and I love it. Its the LHT with discs.

jameso

I always think a Gryphon would be nice for road and easy off-road touring. Not sure what fittings it has but bike-packing gear means that may not be an issue. It looks so comfy. And with most of these frames being 4.5-5.5lbs anyway, the ability to fit bigger tyres for dirt-trail use is good. There’s some fantastic trails around the Lombarde .. 🙂 If I didn’t have my current long-rides bike I’d try one out.

irc

You won’t go wrong with the Long Haul Trucker. I’m 6ft3 and ride a 60cm V brake Trucker. With an uncut steerer and an angled stem I get the bars level or a tiny bit above saddle height.

The 60cm is center to the top of the seat tube. Then there is another 3cm of seat tube above the top tube. So even on a 60cm I don’t get a huge amount of saddle post showing. I don’t think you would need more than a 62cm. The 60cm might even fit. Depends on preferred top ttube length and so on.

Flawless handling for a loaded tourer.

Colorado 2011.

freeandsingle
    Free Member

I’m 6’4″ and ride a 58cm Surly Disc Trucker (33″ inside leg). One of the deciding factors for me was chainstay length -having experienced pannier heel strike on one short tour I was keen to avoid it ever again and the Surly was longer than others I looked at..

irc

Yes. I’ve got size 12/13 feet and the LHT has no pannier heel strike or toe overlap – even with 700x42s and mudguards.

trebord
    Free Member

If you like Tange Prestige tubes, have a look at Soma Double Cross framesets. I have an older one, but they now do a disc version.

Olly
    Free Member

Charlie the bike pusher/dealer/monger isnt too far from us, so would almost certainly be a jolly down to see him in person. will have to give him a tinkle to discuss size options first. perhaps even put a fork and wheels on one and have a “stand over” i reckon a 62 would fit, but may be a bit tall even for me! cheers chaps!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Fargo is a tank and rides heavy albeit OK.

I’d ahve thought a Kaff would be a good cheap alternative for road but it may not like heavy loads.

Salsa stuff is nice but overpriced IMO.

STATO
    Free Member

2 questions

1. Do you want to switch to drop bars? if not then the disc-trucker and many of those suggested above are not really what you want.

2. Why not just get a new fork with a longer steerer? your seems very short, in steerer length and it looks short in a2c also.

rootes1

Soma Double Cross

I liked the look of the Soma Saga but current one is a horrible green colour…

Olly
    Free Member

No intention to swap to proper drops, rather something like flipped Marys (currently on fleegles) I want to keep my hydraulic disk brakes!

i could have a longer steerer, but the frame would still be small, and the head angle would pull the steerer closer in, making the bike shorter.
    also, doesnt change the fact that the frame is a bit on the small side for this kind of riding?
    Soma does look nice, but im after disks. I havent seen many in the way of alternatives (kona and salsa)

STATO
    Free Member

i could have a longer steerer, but the frame would still be small, and the head angle would pull the steerer closer in, making the bike shorter.

While a longer steerer would pull the bars in compared to where you have them, they would end up in the same place on a bike with a longer headtube and same effective tt. Effective tt is a horizontal measurements and as most bikes have parallel seat and head tubes the effective tt dosnt change with bar height or seat height. So buying a new bike with higher bars and same TT would be the same as raising bars on you current bike (in terms of comfort/fit).

Also, most of the bikes above are designed for drop bars, so their effective TT is about 30mm shorter than a bike designed for normal bars (like yours). Youd need to buy a 64cm trucker to even match the same reach if you fitted it with flat bars, but the standover would be huge!.

The reason i asked about getting a longer fork. On-one have very short steerer tubes compared to other brands and you have hardly any spacers, also your fork looks very short from the axle to the headset, perhaps you have an older style shorter fork? either way, a new fork with longer steerer would get you most of the way to what you asked for.

mugsys_m8

Looked at the Surly Ogre?
    Karate Monkey but braze ons’r’us.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Surly Long Haul Trucker (Disk) alternative’ is closed to new replies.