• This topic has 55 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Sanny.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Surly Dirt Wizard 29+ Tyre
  • Paceman
    Free Member

Anyone know when the 29″ version of the Surly Dirt Wizard Tyre will be available?

bedmaker

I don’t know , but I wish did!

ssboggy

I emailed Surly a month or two ago about them but I’ve never heard anything back

Paceman
    Free Member

Details are very scant online, just that it’s coming soon 😐

Paceman
    Free Member

Due August according to Charlie the Bikemonger…

http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/surly-dirt-wizard-29-tyre-29×30-4716-p.asp

Although they were supposed to be due out last autumn originally 🙁

Sam

Yeah, I heard August as well but it has kept slipping. The Maxxis Chronicle seems a bit firmer September.

Paceman
    Free Member

Thanks Sam, they look like just the ticket… Maxxis Chronicle 29+ Tyre

I hope these arrive in time for winter 🙂

Paceman
    Free Member

Surly Dirt Wizard 29×2.75 supposed to be due in August.

Any sightings or insider knowledge?

After taking on the storm conditions this morning with my Surly Knards I think something more nobbly will be needed come autumn.

ajantom

Not a 3″ tyre, but I ran the On-one Chunky Monkeys on my Krampus last winter.
    They’re a generous 2.4 tyre, and come up massive on 50mm rims. Good grip in the wet, and they wore extremely well.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Haha, Knards + mud = rubbish 😉

Paceman
    Free Member

ajantom – Member

Not a 3″ tyre, but I ran the On-one Chunky Monkeys on my Krampus last winter.
    They’re a generous 2.4 tyre, and come up massive on 50mm rims. Good grip in the wet, and they wore extremely well.

I’ll be doing something similar if some more mud-specific 29+ tyres don’t become available soon. For now the Knards are fine.

Paceman
    Free Member

Looks like it might be soon for the new Maxxis 29+ tyre (click for link)

Just what I need for the Krampus this Winter (or today looking outside 😐 )

Paceman
    Free Member

Surly Dirt Wizard 29 tyres are hopefully arriving late October according to Charlie The Bikemonger on his Facebook feed. Fingers are crossed 😆

wwaswas

Just pray it stays dry until then 🙂

pop-larkin
    Free Member

I was told that they’d had problems with the 29er carcass and had to go back to the drawing board ( cad machine) therefore not holding my breath

Paceman
    Free Member

wwaswas – Member

Just pray it stays dry until then.

I’ll manage Wwaswas, I have some 2.35 Hans Dampfs in the shed to put on the Krampus as an alternative if no new 29+ tyres arrive; they come up huge on the Rabbit Hole rims.

john_l
    Free Member

I had a Chunky Monkey turn up yesterday – it certainly lives up to its name. Reckon it’ll mount up nicely on a Blunt 35.

rOcKeTdOg

Nobby nic is huge on a dually

Paceman
    Free Member

According to Maxxis Twitter feed their new Chronicle 29+ tyres will be hitting UK stockists in the second week of October 🙂

https://twitter.com/maxxis_tyres/status/509721901397471232

bonesetter
    Free Member

Any pics of a Chunky Monkey mounted?

Paceman
    Free Member

bonesetter – Member

Any pics of a Chunky Monkey mounted?

I think you want a very different forum for that question 😆

However, I do have an photo of a Chunky Monkey on the front of my old hardtail, sorry it’s not a close up, I don’t have the tyre or the bike anymore. They come up pretty big but not true 29+ size, very grippy and surprisingly quick rolling but also quite heavy. Very good for the money though and work well on a rigid bike…

bonesetter
    Free Member

Absolutely brilliant reply, thankyou

Perfect in every way… apart from that saddle – what happened??

Paceman
    Free Member

bonesetter – Member

Absolutely brilliant reply, thankyou

Perfect in every way… apart from that saddle – what happened??

LOL 😆

A groin/backside injury required the use of the softest saddle I could get hold of, used it for a couple of weeks in the end, it was a monster!!

bonesetter
    Free Member

Pardoned

Paceman
    Free Member

Surly Dirt Wizard is coming in a very pleasing and aggressive looking 29 x 3.0, looks perfect for winter…

http://fat-bike.com/2014/09/sov-from-surly-talks-29-and-5-knard/

Also a whopping great 26 x 5.0 Surly Knard!!

ska-49
    Free Member

Has anyone heard anything new about these?
    Dates seem to be changing all the time.
    Seems to be turning into the tyre equivalent of a Rocket.

Paceman
    Free Member

Looks like Spring 2015 👿

The tyre looks like exactly what I need… just six months too late.

Surly 29+ Blog

Hopefully the new Maxxis, Panaracer and Bonty 29+ tyres will be released in the meantime. Otherwise i’ll be sticking a pair on On-One Chunky Monkeys on my Krampus.

Paceman
    Free Member

Ok, mixed conditions today, damp woodland singletrack with lots of wet leaves and freshly soaked roots 😈
    First ride out after fitting the On-One Chunky Monkeys on the Krampus and I was seriously underwhelmed; grip was great and they roll well enough, but the bike just felt really harsh and overall like it had lost the fun factor.

I’ve put my 120tpi Knards back on now. I figure I’ll probably need to take it slower as it’ll deffo be sketchy on the roots but the grin factor will be back at least and I’ll just be sliding around with half the other guys too

Paceman
    Free Member

The Bontrager Chupacabra 29+ tyres are now on the Trek Store website, hopefully hitting these shores soon; they look like the mud-option we need 😀

Bonty 29+ Tyre

Paceman
    Free Member
    boltonjon

Been using a 26 x 2.75 Dirt Wizard recently and they are sketchy!

The rubber compound is VERY hard

Stick it on the front and i have no confidence in the front end

Fit it to the back and i’m constantly locking up when descending

Horrible tyre 🙁

ska-49
    Free Member

Not what I wanted to hear.
    Are there any other 29er+ mud tyres in the works?
    I might just settle on a Chronicle.

Clobber
    Free Member

No I didn’t want to hear that either… Hopefully the panaracer will be available soon…

I think I’m going to try a 2.35 Nobby Nic on a dually for the the front for now…

Paceman
    Free Member

From the review it sounds like Surly are looking at dual compound rubber for the 29+ version of the Dirt Wizard. The guy writing the review certainly doesn’t describe them as sketchy. I believe from the Surly blog that this is what has delayed the release of the the 29er Dirt Wizards as Surly weren’t happy with them just being a bigger version of the 26″ tyre.

Clobber
    Free Member

FIngers crossed then for a non-sketchy, available soon 29+ DW

I mentioned in the Chronicle thread that it does look like quite a gap in transition from upright to cornering angles…

gil_

Talking to the Surly guys earlier in the Year it was the manufacturer and the price point issue that was holding them all up

Not too sure about the dual compound issues, sounds a bit involved for Surly…

epicyclo

boltonjon – Member
    Been using a 26 x 2.75 Dirt Wizard recently and they are sketchy!…

Not my experience of them. I wonder if they have changed the compound?

Mine felt quite surefooted.

Maybe it has something to do with tyre pressure. I run mine low – not sure of pressure, but easily squeezed – probably 15 – 20lbs.

Paceman
    Free Member

Tyre pressure is really crucial with Surly Knards i’ve been using all summer. The sweet spot seems to be 11-12psi front and 15psi rear for me.

Paceman
    Free Member

Still no sign of the Dirt Wizards in 29 x 3.0″ flavour 🙄

A few photos of the Bontrager Chupacabra have popped up on Facebook over the last week though, maybe just in time before Spring.

Anyone seen either in the UK yet?

robinmcc
    Free Member

Keeping the hope alive…. does anyone know if there is an ETA for the 29×3 dirt wizard? or is it still ‘a’ spring sometime as per Surlys last vid?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Surly Dirt Wizard 29+ Tyre’ is closed to new replies.