Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Surly Cross Check Sizing
  • IanW
    Free Member

Any experience of sizing these?

Im 180cm and usually ride 56 road bikes but medium MTB’s.

Cross Checks look an unusual size with a 58cm ett on the 56 bike and a 56cm ett on the 54 suggesting the 54 may be better for my disproportionally long in the torso and short of leg body.

Nearest dealer is 80 miles away so advance views to support my on the spot decision required.

noteeth
    Free Member

I’m 5’10” & ride a 54cm Cross-Check (albeit with a stack of spacers). Fits me perfectly.

PJ266
    Free Member

I have been looking into this too, I’m 5’10 and I think I will be going for a 54 due to the long top tube.

Del

size it on the ETT. incidentally i’m also 5-10 and ride a 52. 😀
    nice bikes. don’t fancy a straggler?

IanW
    Free Member

For me I’m not convinced the advantages of discs brakes outweigh the compatibility benefits of having rim brakes when I have other rim brake bikes. Also as I get older my problem is increasingly making a bike move not making it stop and tbh I find discs a bit jarring aesthetically.
    More aggressive riders may priorities absolute performance and require the discs of a straggler/Cdf type bike.

No teeth- that’s my concern I would like the extra head tube on the 56, can’t imagine a bike so popular can be so difficult to fit

gazc
    Free Member

i’m 6ft and had a 56cm (just sold it) fitted and rode great 🙂

sodadr
    Free Member

Surly have an unconventional way of measuring the seat tube if I recall correctly (centre of bb to centre of top tube where it meets the seatube, or something like that). Probably worth having a good look at their website.

birdage

5 11 with a 54cm Cross Check. Fits great with a 90mm stem. Would probably be ok with a 56 but don’t think it would be as flickable if that makes any sense?

waller
    Free Member

I’m 6ft and ride a 56cm. Fits perfectly. Probably my favourite bike that I’ve ever had. My inseam is 33cm and the frame fits perfectly.

Really comfy do it all bike.

I ride with a 90cm stem also if it makes any odds.

noteeth
    Free Member

I would like the extra head tube on the 56

I did ride a 56cm for a little while (although a mtber, I guess 56 is my ‘road’ size), and found it just a little bit too big. But that might just be me. Headtube: there’s a fair number of stacked-up CCs, IME. I run a 100mm stem on my 54cm, and reachwise it’s fine.

Anyway, I absolutely love it – gets daily use/abuse as a commuter, pub bike, occasional rough-stuff, etc. It’s something of a tank compared to ‘proper’ CX bikes, but it’s very comfy. Can’t say I would fancy discs, tbh – it would just over-complicate things… 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Surly Cross Check Sizing’ is closed to new replies.