Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Surgeons performance: Anybody know how to check how good they are?
  • grtdkad

I’ll be going in to hospital in a week or two for a Neck Dissection.

This means the surgeon will be removing flesh from pretty close to my jugular vein and carotid artery.

I’m pretty keen to wake up again after the procedure, how do you go about checking how well the surgeon performs in similar circumstances?

Mantastic
    Free Member

If you wake up dead, it hasn’t gone well

rockhopperbike

go and see how many peeps are in the morgue, compared to wards

Tom-B
    Free Member

Why would you want to know?!! No matter how well he performs, it probably wont be well enough to ease your concerns!

It’ll be reet. Good luck.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Theyr’e on bonuses so you’ll be ok. Still won’t make as much as a crap footballer though.

R.I.P. (Just in case)

grtdkad

Methinks asking at 11:30 on a Saturday night may not have been the best timing ever… 🙄

meehaja
    Free Member

in fairness, they’d have to be blind and wearing boxing gloves to hit JV or CA!

scaredypants

you could always ask your surgeon how many they’ve done and how their outcomes compare to peer group (mind, league tables etc don’t necessarily tell the full story – the good ones may get all the difficult jobs and so their outcomes may not look brilliant even if they’re great)

or ask around if you know any docs from that hospital

endurogangster
    Free Member

http://www.vsqip.org.uk/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/NVR-2013-Report-on-Surgical-Outcomes-Consultant-Level-Statistics.pdf

Data was published earlier this year for all vascular surgeons in the uk, not completely sure if neck dissection is covered in this document.

The alternative would be to have a good look on your local nhs hospital trust website as they may publish there own data from internal audits. This information may also be presented in poster form on the walls outside/within the surgical department you go to.

Hope this helps

ratherbeintobago

Data was published earlier this year for all vascular surgeons in the uk, not completely sure if neck dissection is covered in this document.

Neck dissection isn’t a vascular procedure so it won’t be in those stats – sorry.

FWIW league tables aren’t all that helpful for the reasons Scaredypants suggests.

anagallis_arvensis

In short as far as I can tell you cannot find out.

Junkyard
    Free Member

You cannot find out as the information is not that usefull

As noted if you do all the easy cases you look brilliant. Its like me noting I crash fewer times than a DH world champ and you concluding I am the best rider because of this

CaptJon
    Free Member

Ask what car they drive and where they went on holiday.

grtdkad

Thanks all. I have found him on here : NHS Stats n stuff

crazy-legs

I did a couple of weeks work experience in the cardio surgery at Kings College Hospital when I was about 16-17. Probably something that no-one in their right mind would consider authorising nowadays!

Was quite eye-opening and also very entertaining. They had CCTV between the theatres so surgeons could ask advice, check up on other operations etc but they mainly used it for discussing their next foreign holiday or the size of the loft extension that was being fitted to their 5-bedroom detached house. While operating.

“Yeah so the builders are a right bunch of bastards – scalpel! – trying to rip us off and saying the job – forceps! – would take three months and we were like – nurse, hold that bit there – three months, but we go to the Bahamas in 2, you’d best be finished by then – 2cc of adrenaline – so we’ll see.”

Meanwhile the patient would be lying their with the chest wide open… It was a good job none of them got to hear some of the things that were said. I did ask once if he’d ever had anyone die on the operating table and he quite casually said “oh, yeah, couple a week usually”.

But don’t worry, you’ll be fine. Probably.

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

Have you tried Drip Advisor?

Houns

Bagsy your bike/s

br
    Free Member

What you going to do if they’re crap?

Jamie
    Free Member

Bagsy your bike/s

Dammit! 11 minutes too slow 😡

glupton1976
    Free Member

“Yeah so the builders are a right bunch of bastards – scalpel! – trying to rip us off and saying the job – forceps! – would take three months and we were like – nurse, hold that bit there – three months, but we go to the Bahamas in 2, you’d best be finished by then – 2cc of adrenaline – so we’ll see.”

It’s probably because they are very good at what they do and are completely relaxed in that environment rather than anything else.

scaredypants

Have you tried Drip Advisor?

preferable to lastminutes.com !

grtdkad

proper LOL at Scaredypants…

They were actually playing Stairway to Heaven as I was inserted in to the scanner the other day 😕

grtdkad

…well I’m about to find out!

I hope that’s his Aston in the hospital car park …

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Surgeons performance: Anybody know how to check how good they are?’ is closed to new replies.