Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Surf’s up, dudes! Some fantastic photos from Nazare tow surf championships.
  • matt_outandabout

By ‘eck.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

When it looks that big from the cliffs it is immense from sea level. Amazing. Thanks for the link.

eddiebaby
    Free Member
    Merak

zippykona

How often would the waves be like that in winter?

Mister-P
    Free Member

The thing that I found so crazy about Nazare was on one side of the point there’s monster waves but the bay the other side is family friendly.

ceepers
    DezB
    Free Member

I watched ‘Riding Giants’ again last week and did think the jet-ski riders (pilots?) take some big risks – that nasty footage above shows it.
    Superb photos in that link.

winston
    Free Member

Hmm that semi-unedited clip posted by @eddiebaby shows what a circus any big wave spot is these days when its properly firing. Ski’s everywhere, riders going left and right on the same wave, risky late takeoffs etc. A friend who used to do this kind of thing says he won’t ride peahi (jaws) any more as its just too crowded to be safe

Big wave surfing has always been dangerous but with new safety gear and more powerful equipment the limits are just being constantly pushed upwards and the pressure to get content is so much higher these days as if you don’t ride you can guarentee someone else will.

I’m not sure eddie would go any more……

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I’m not sure eddie would go any more……

Well this Eddie sure as heck wouldn’t. I’ve sat above Jaws on a big day with the original tow in crew and Laird Hamilton who I’d been sent to interview talked me though it. I felt brave sat on the cliff but when I went out in the heli later and got close enough to it to really feel the power and the noise I just couldn’t understand why anyone would risk it.
    I think there were only half a dozen riders out there and even with the skis to get them back out there were fantastic waves were rolling in unridden. As you say, these days every wave is packed.

winston
    Free Member

@eddiebaby – wow that must have been 30 years ago! Now that was really the birth of what we have today. What I would have given to have met Laird in the 90’s!

I was at Naz only in 2013 and there was a tenth of the crew out that there is today….though it was BIG

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Yup, it was fun business back then. Only did one Maui trip but did most of the rest of the world and knew most of the pros.

toemul
    Free Member

Yep they surly were the days, big wave days, remember being out in some big stuff that if I’m honest was beyond me charging down one monster that broke on top of me nearly snapped my arm off damaging my shoulder which never quite fully recoverd, must been a solid 4 with occasional 5footers yep epic day’s on longsands.😁

winston
    Free Member

LOL to be clear I was on the rock at Naz not in the water.

A solid 5ft face is actually a lot bigger than most people think and pretty much my limit!

scuttler

with new safety gear and more powerful equipment the limits are just being constantly pushed upwards and the pressure to get content is so much higher these days as if you don’t ride you can guarentee someone else will.

Plus ca change. Pretty much universal to any sport/pastime. No doubt wearable cameras, drones and social media are a catalyst though.

ferrals
    Free Member

Meanwhile, on the the other side of the world… properly insane. I think i’d rather drown than be brained by an unforgiving rock shelf!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Surf’s up, dudes! Some fantastic photos from Nazare tow surf championships.’ is closed to new replies.