• This topic has 84 replies, 50 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by LoCo.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)
  • Surfing
  • ampthill

I enjoyed walking on water by Andy Martin

story of a Cambridge based academic learning to surf the hawian north shore

alwillis

Thanks for all the advice and general sarcasm guys!

I definitely see it as a non-regular hobby as by September I will be living near Swindon 🙁
    Looks like surfing will have to take its place behind biking and skiing for now!

jam-bo

As if by magic.

Point Break is on at 11.50pm, best surf film ever…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Point Break is on at 11.50pm, best surf film ever…

FTFY. 😉

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Surfed and windsurfed a lot in my teens and early 20s all around Devon, Cornwall and S Wales.

As everyone has said, you spend a lot of time not surfing/sailing, spend daft amounts of cash on petrol and vehicles. (if you hang around the beach and load wet boards on your roof whatever you are driving will dissolve!) To improve you need a lot of water time on a regular basis and the comparison with snowboarding is unrealistic – you fall over on a snowboard anbd you can just get up, the hill is still there and you can start sliding immediately, in the sea if you fall then the wave has gone and you are padding out back again – it is tiring when you are learning.

I swapped to SUP when I moved up country from Cornwall, they are great if you DON’T take them in the line up and steal all the waves – they can and this will really piss people off, they are also the size of an oil tanker when compared to a shortboard so need skill to handle in the bigger waves. Because they will pick up almost any swell you are able to head off and catch waves that the rest can’t when starting prone so why fight for their waves?

But the best bit is you get maximum water time whatever the weather. If it’s millpond then you can go explore the coast, anchored boats, etc if it’s windy mine has two mast positions so I can stick a 6m rig on it and sail. And, if it’s working and there’s a good swell, I go fetch my Stewart. 😀

verticalclimber
    Free Member

agree with all of previous surfing great but unless on doorstep sort of fighting losing battle with travel etc. nearest decent surf for me north devon so from london 4 hours in van realistically and costs money prefer cornwall but another 50 miles on top. tried bournemouth once was very underwhelmed but when heard about reef was over the moon to think could have good surf 2 hours away and then oh dear what a disaster the reef dont work or if it does you have to be a lot better then me to use it and now they might get rid of it. so riding it is 30 min to north downs or out of front door on road bike no brainer really but still go to south west for a week a year in autumn or spring to get wet

agent007
    Free Member

Be careful though, saw some guy who’s sail seemed to have snapped off, it was about 50 feet in the air on a big lanyard dragging him along at a hell of a rate!

You mean a Kitesurfer?

ski
    Free Member

Off to Croyde this weekend, which is the next bay down from Woolacombe. I agree about checking out second hand kit, I try and go about 8-10 weekends a year, started with just another family, this weekend there will be 12 of us messing in 2-3 feet swells 😉

agent007
    Free Member

I’d seriously recommend to anyone buying a board, even if only planning 2-3 trips per year. I spent years messing around on crummy hire boards and never really progressing. Last year took the plunge and spent £600 on a custom Magic Carpet from these guys:

Gulfstream

What a difference it’s made to my surfing – like night and day compared to the inconsistency of heavy and battered hire boards. Yes £600 is a lot of money, but I’ll probably keep the board for the next 10-15 years so it will more than pay for itself in the long run.

It also means that I’m not limited to beaches or hours when the hire shops are operating opening up a wealth of possibility – as proved at Whitesands last year when the waves were ridiculously clean, but my mate had to wait a whole frustrating hour on the beach watching everyone else until a hire board became available.

Could have spent half of that and gone for a generic moulded board from the Far East, but I like the idea of having something unique, hand shaped and personal, plus supporting the British shapers and local surf industry.

Do it – it will make a huge difference to the way you ride and progress.

teenrat

As someone i know said – ‘the most frustrating, poorest return for limited time thing i have ever done’. I totally agree. I have surfed for over 12 years and live 15 mins from the nearest beach, but have only been in once this year. I have lost the bug because the waves and conditions are just so inconsistant in the UK, and i want to make the most of my free time.

jam-bo

Last year took the plunge and spent £600 on a custom Magic Carpet from these guys:

Do it – it will make a huge difference to the way you ride and progress.

or you could buy one s/h. my magic carpet is great and cost £100 from gumtree…

dmorts

I have been into surfing on and off for a while, have a couple of boards a 7’2″ mini-mal and a 6’7″ shortboard. Never been able to use the shortboard successfully in the UK! I bought it back from NZ where I spent several months doing nothing much else other than surfing. It was great out there but after returning to the UK and surfing much much less, the mini-mal is my preferred choice.

I’m looking at getting into kite-surfing, due to UK conditions seeming to favour it more than surfing.

Still, nothing beats dropping into a sweet wave

jimster
    Free Member

I have lost the bug because the waves and conditions are just so inconsistant in the UK, and i want to make the most of my free time.

Can understand where you are coming from on that, last year we had two weeks in Cornwall, most of it was horrible westerly windslop, the one morning when it was off-shore was more than worth it though. 😀

I’m looking at getting into kite-surfing, due to UK conditions seeming to favour it more than surfing.

Can’t be doing with all the faff of pumping the kite up, sorting ropes out etc etc – may as well go sailing.

dmorts

Can’t be doing with all the faff of pumping the kite up, sorting ropes out etc etc – may as well go sailing.

But that’s all the faff there is, pump up kite, unwind lines and off you go. With sailing the faff never stops, but that’s the point isn’t it?

moonboy
    Free Member

One the great things about living in Brissle and having both bikes and a board.

Check eyeball and magic seaweed on a Friday. Looks good, load up the board, looks flat get the bike over to the Brecons/quantocks/ fod etc … Or just mince round Ashton court, coffee in Clifton and watch the girls go by.

It’s a simple life really!

Another one of the ‘love surfing but not really a surfer’ gang. It’s bloody difficult… but that’s part of the appeal.

Off to see if anything is brewing for this weekend.. .

jam-bo

Still, nothing beats dropping into a sweet wave

yeah it does..

dropping into a warping, pitching beast of wave and making it out in one piece…

agent007
    Free Member

Go for it – kitesurfing is easily as much fun as surfing, probably more fun and less frustrating 90% of the time (I do both). Plus you can kitesurf in waves – the best of both worlds. Not too much faff either – arrive at beach, choose kite size, pump up, unwind and attach lines and then out, 10-15mins maximum. What’s not to like?

bluebird
    Free Member

Mal = 29er
    mini-mal = 26er
    shortboard = BMX
    SUP = CX bikes (rubbish if it’s lumpy )

😯

pedroball
    Free Member

ditto the comment on your first green face – beat my first barrel for me, if I’m honest.

Some of the best experiences of my life so far have been down to surfing, the travelling and the people you meet through it…

Living in swindon needn’t stop you if you choose the right kit and have the time – enjoy!! Its worth looking into South Wales, Porthcawl area, as that’s probably easier to get to and even doable in the evenings after work.

zippykona

My parents live near Saunton and the kite surfers look like they get a lot more action.
    I’m there quite a bit and I can’t say I’ve seen waves that look like the ones in Byron Bay.
    I will add that I know nothing about surfing except that the waves that curl over look good.

Creg

I have lost the bug because the waves and conditions are just so inconsistant in the UK, and i want to make the most of my free time.

+1

Been surfing for years but recently the inconsistent conditions here in the North East have resulted in virtually no water time for me over the last couple of years. Even when there is swell it hasn’t been anything spectacular. Shame really as I have a super heavy reefbreak 30 seconds from my front door.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

+2

I’m finding that good conditions on the sarf coast are pretty infrequent, certainly over the summer.

I knew that anyway when we moved here, but it still hurts when I’m away and it’s 4ft and clean. 🙁

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Had all sorts of boards over the last 20 years but the one Ive had the best times with is this hybrid (I have the 7’6″ tufflite version).

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZu_BAj4tlA[/video]

Goes alright in small sloppy waves but comes alive at waist to shoulder height, awesome when its pumping and can be used in quite big waves. Paddles well for if there are strong currents.. duck dives no problem… under 8′ so most airlines take it and easy to travel with…

With one of these, a MTB and a road bike there’s never a dull day 💡

dmorts

ditto the comment on your first green face

My first green face was in Scarborough, in December, when it was snowing. Also our car got nicked while we were in the water (driver fail on hiding keys). Still couldn’t wipe the smile from my face!

Go for it – kitesurfing is easily as much fun as surfing, probably more fun and less frustrating 90% of the time (I do both). Plus you can kitesurf in waves – the best of both worlds. Not too much faff either – arrive at beach, choose kite size, pump up, unwind and attach lines and then out, 10-15mins maximum. What’s not to like?

I’m wondering if I’ll get good enough to use my shortboard with a kite… definitely best of both then!

innit_gareth
    Free Member

Kite surf and surf here. A great surf session wins hands down to a great kitesurf session.

Its just a great surf session is rarer than a good kitesurf session.

By a great surf session I mean a decent reef with just a couple of mates out – doesn’t happen many times a year…..

themilo
    Free Member

There are NO utterly magnificent, draw droppingly beautiful, soul purifyingly spectacular surf spots anywhere near south west/west Wales.

Don’t bother looking.

Nothing to see here.

Go home and ride your bike.

Honestly.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Mal = 29er
    mini-mal = 26er
    shortboard = BMX
    SUP = CX bikes (rubbish if it’s lumpy )

So what do my 2 ten foot 25lb 1960’s Bilbo’s equal?
    Anyone want to buy?

bigblackshed

mattsccm – Member

So what do my 2 ten foot 25lb 1960’s Bilbo’s equal?
    Anyone want to buy?

Are they original 60’s or repros? Condition? Price? Location? Might be interested, I NEED a bigger board. 😉

martinxyz
    Free Member

With weather forecasts and surf forecasts you can head up to Thurso (2hrs 20 mins) and have amazing waves. Only problem is.. I’m too scared to go out in Thurso East when it’s going off so I take pics of the waves and head around to Melvich or Strathy as it’s just too good/dangerous when I get there!

If it’s crap you can always drive back home and stop off at Golspie at the half way point.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I’m too scared to go out in Thurso East when it’s going off…

I can appreciate that. 😯

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

‘I understood how it worked’

well done, bet you bought a t-shirt too!

i’ve been surfing for over 30 years, my whole life has been shaped by surfing, and i still don’t get the entirety of it. on my best day i maybe just glimpse it.

lets face it, you can either ride a board or surf a wave. 99% of the idiots these days who litter the line ups are the former.

tinybits
    Free Member

Get orf my waves!

Locals rule right?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

lets face it, you can either ride a board or surf a wave. 99% of the idiots these days who litter the line ups are the former.

That’s a bit like

lets face it, you can either ride a bike or flow down a trail. 99% of the idiots these days who litter the car parks at trail centers are the former.

Obviously everyone thinks they’re just good enough to avoid bing in the below average category.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Been doing it on and off for 20 years. And that’s me in the 99% above.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

The difference between bellyboarding and bodyboarding: great advice from Bodyboard HQ.

http://www.bodyboardhq.co.uk/buyingadvice/advicebodyboards.html

jam-bo

your only in that 1% if you can ‘reo til your hips ache’

Pigface
    Free Member

Wondering which part of the SSB jam bo is 😕

jam-bo

A not very active one but who could forget a phrase like that…

Whatever happened to the SSB?

Pigface
    Free Member

I am thinking Jacques La Cointe??? We are still there compact and bijou.

The originator of the phrase has left but still lurks.

jam-bo

Sounds lame but I actually can’t remember. I stopped visiting about the time of that delusional nutter. Ed?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Surfing’ is closed to new replies.