Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Surfing Magazine Advice (surfing waves not the www) and france.
  • EddieFiola
    Free Member

Okay i know there are some surfers on here could you help with 2 questions.

1. Im after subscribing to a surf magazine but a lot of them are rubbish. I used to subscribe to wavelength but it was the equivalent to reading the Beano I’m after something more Singletrack/Privateer but obviously about surfing. I do not want to be shredding or hooking of the Gnarr because I’m 41 and would drown or SHATTER if i was that rad.

2. surfing in France, i have surfed Biaritz area and Messange area for years but I’m after not a beach break that will pound me into the sand, but a nice mellow point break or similar. Who has any ideas of good locations for camping surfing in warm water below bordeaux?

Any help on these matters would be ace.

Thanks

headfirst
    Free Member

1. Best UK mag is Surfer’s Path, or Surfer from the US, which is less than £2 an issue if you subscribe.

2. Check out the Vendee coast centred around Les Sables d’Olonne. I prefer the southern bit, they’re beach breaks mainly with the occasional reef/slab break but not as full on as where you mention. Get yourself the stormrider guide, worth it’s weight in gold!

bigblackshed

+1 for Surfers Path. Have been a subscriber for about 10 years.

The Surfers Journal. Hard to find retail, PJs on The Gower used to stock it, otherwise it’s subscription only. And bonkers expensive. But very few ads. Last time I bought 1 it was about £15.

The Surfers Journal

EddieFiola
    Free Member

Thanks folks

I’ll take a look. I have the storm rider europe guide, i think there is a new french only version???

jam-bo

is surf europe still going?

Muke
    Free Member

Carve ?

camo16
    Free Member

+1 +1 for Surfers Path

Intelligent, philosophical with the occasional gnarly thrown in for balance… bears up to re-reading, too, unlike Surf Europe, Wavelength etc

Rickos
    Free Member

Surfers Path is brilliant.
    Spent several weeks at a wee place called Hourtin Plage a few miles north of Lacanau. Very nice beach, great campsite too.
    http://www.camping-cote-dargent.co.uk/

Admittedly this was more than 10 years ago now, but no doubt the surf will still be as good. Unless of course you’re going in hurricane season in which case it will pummel you wherever you go on that coast. Although I did spend 2 weeks on Hossegor one September and it was flat the whole 2 weeks. I mean, Hossegor in September? Flat? Who’d have thought it…

cloudnine
    Free Member

Australian surfing life is pretty good too

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I subscribe to Wavelength. Newbie surfer though so suspect its the same as when I ran out and started buying MBUK aged 14. But, I don’t find it a bad read. The article earlier in the year from the Icelandic trip was a very good read especially. Does seem to be a bit non-stop roadtrip type articles though…

Whilst we’re on the subject, any good surfing on the Brittany coastline? Guess that anywhere pointing westwards should be a good bet?

jam-bo

very similar to west cornwall from what I understand.

Pigface
    Free Member

Surfer is my mag of choice, but is it full of adds these days, cant stand Surfers Path but if you are into being a mystic knight of Bali then go for your life.

Any one see what I did there 😉

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

+1 for Surfers Path. Yes, it does get a bit hippy dippy sometimes but some genuinely interesting articles – not just about surfing, ads aren’t in your face, and the photography is great.

Regarding Brittany, some classic spots, and as mentioned above, quite similar conditions to Cornwall. Off the top of my head, I’ve had some good sessions at the following:

Baie Des Trepasses
    La Torche
    Quiberon peninsula (just W of Carnac)

S of Bordeaux, the area around Cap Ferret is pretty good, and a little more mellow than Lacanu further North.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

2. Check out the Vendee coast centred around Les Sables d’Olonne. I prefer the southern bit, they’re beach breaks mainly with the occasional reef/slab break but not as full on as where you mention. Get yourself the stormrider guide, worth it’s weight in gold!

I agree with this. I’m heading to this area hopefully in a couple of weeks as it’s a closer drive from the UK than Bordeaux-Biarritz, has a bit of variety and I haven’t been in the water for a few months so don’t want to spend my time pooing myself on the beach if it’s big/punchy from the first day…

EDIT: I spy some astro-turfing

Matt_SS_xc

Ive actually recently subscribed to wavelength instead of surfers path. Wavelength seems to be much improved with the path getting smaller and smaller!
    As for France I spent a month last year at lacanau it was great. Bit softer than hossegor and no where near the crowds. Still nice and hollow on bigger days though!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Surfing Magazine Advice (surfing waves not the www) and france.’ is closed to new replies.