Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Surely it's a STW question: what pipe?
  • nicko74

Reminded by the manly threads, I have to confess I’ve always had a hankering for a pipe. Not quite sure why, apart from the whole rigmarole of filling, tamping, gently smoking it, all accompanied with an irresistible sense of calm. I’ve never been a big smoker, but do enjoy an occasional cigar, when I can find a spare hour or three that the wife’s away.

Soo… since I’m not getting any younger, can any stwers recommend where to start? What should I look for in a pipe (I’m a big fan of “steel is real”, but obviously that’s not helpful)?

Who knows, I might find I hate it or, more realistically, the wife tells me to stop being so ridiculous. But at least I can say I tried it 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Do you enjoy a rough shag?

jimdubleyou

perchypanther
    Free Member

This is STW.

There’ll be somone along in a minute to tell you how they’ve “smoked” a half-pipe. GNAAAAARRR!

*recycled comment from about a year ago when SaxonRider asked the exact same question. Started typing it and got deja-vu.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/anyone-on-here-smoke-a-pipe

SaxonRider

A good beginner’s set will get you started. I actually started with a corncob pipe, which was great (and still is), but I eventually moved on to a lovely reader’s pipe, which is like a small churchwarden.

I would probably get myself a nice aromatic tobacco as well (like Peterson’s Gold Blend).

All in all, it is not a very expensive leisure activity, and just as ‘zen’ as you are imagining it. I probably have a pipe once a week or so.

nicko74

haaa – I knew someone had to have asked it before (this is stw!), but didn’t look very hard.

CaptainFlashheart – Member

Do you enjoy a rough shag?
    Why yes, thank you. Why do you ask?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Why yes, thank you. Why do you ask?

It’s polite.

perchypanther
    Free Member

This guys looking a bit rough. Enjoy!

natrix
    Free Member

Reasonable guide here:
    http://www.eacarey.co.uk/2010/10/beginners-guide-to-smoking-pipes/

You can get sample packs of tobacco so that you can find out what you like (and what you don’t 😯 )

SaxonRider

That is a good link, natrix. It is similar to some of the info I found last year, but well written. nicko74, if you try it and like it, I’m game to start a STW pipe smokers’ sub-group if you are! 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

I started smoking with a pipe when I was 13.
    I gave up smoking completely when I was 28.
    I have promised myself I may take up smoking a pipe again when I am 70
    (assuming all tobacco isnt outlawed in the next 30yrs)

It’s a lovely, tactile, aromatic, manly way of killing yourself slowly. Highly recommended.

chewkw
    Free Member

I bought few of my pipe from Blakemar Briars and Invicta Briars

I have this and it’s very nice.

Banker/Brandy

Both are very nice people to deal with and you shall not be disappointed.

I heard good things about this too.
    Northern Briars

I stop now but I might start again in future … 😛

I also have few of the Peterson pipes … 😛

p/s: I was planning to get a Churchwarden but I stop smoking for a while … smoking Churchwarden will make you look like Gandalf. 😛

cbike
    Free Member

I had a pal who dresses well and had a pipe for a while, but something wasn’t quite right.

He’s never been a smoker, and pipe just made him look like a Pretentious ****. Thankfully he’s quietly given it up.

My lifestyle and health tip is…Don’t do it. Or at least check with pals you don’t look like a ****.

SaxonRider

That’s fine, cbike, but why does a pipe make one look more pretentious than, say, drinking a nice glass of whisky? Indeed, if a person smokes say, a pipe per week, is it even that damaging to health?

I don’t really get the whole “pipe = pretentious & smoking one = deadly” thing.

It seems quite possible to enjoy a bowl of tobacco in the same way one enjoys a fine drink. In appropriate measure, it’s neither pretentious nor especially poisonous.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Surely it's a STW question: what pipe?’ is closed to new replies.