Viewing 31 posts - 81 through 111 (of 111 total)
  • Supporting LBS – How much more to pay over and above internet prices?
  • ricky1
    Free Member

Went to Stuart’s today,not open.

whitestone
    Free Member

Went to Stuart’s today,not open.

Might be ill, worth giving him a ring Mon to Fri.

ricky1
    Free Member

Yes I thought he might be ill,the guys in the next unit said he wasn’t there yesterday either,yes I’ll ring him next week,very helpfull Stuart,you know your bike is in good hands.

hora
    Free Member

I carried 15 days holiday from the previous year into 2014. Sometimes asking mere customers to stomach paying prices is hard to ask. I worked 3yrs on woolies shop floor regularly giving really good customer service on £1.00 products so to hear or question time wasting customers on 50quid-5k products rankles. Some people need to sort out their misplaced arrogance about customers. Reality check.

cloudnine
    Free Member

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Nice one cloud 9 🙂

Had one in Oz that was
    Want it done quick? Bring a 6 pack,
    Want to watch? Bring 2
    Want it explained? Bring 3
    Want me to teach you? Bring a case 🙂

bencooper
    Free Member

That’s funny 😉

Though I don’t mind in the slightest if people want to watch – i’ve got an open-plan workshop. Though some more nervous owners prefer to step outside when I get out the BFH.

Trekster

bencooper – Member
    That’s funny

Though I don’t mind in the slightest if people want to watch – i’ve got an open-plan workshop. Though some more nervous owners prefer to step outside when I get out the BFH.

Same with cars. Many yrs ago we were fitting a tow bar to a New Capri, can’t remember now but we had to “adjust” something with a BFH. Salesman brought customer in just at that moment. Instant loss of sale 🙄
    That’s one reason for the “no customers/unauthorised” person beyond this point sign!
    At least one of my lbs is flourishing, best stock arrived for years. Along with some good road frames for builds they mostly survive on servicing, kids and low end priced bikes. This year they have stepped up with a good stock of Ridley road bikes and top end Saracen fs bikes, having already sold a DH Saracen to a local.

onandon
    Free Member

The only bike shop I enjoy visiting is pedalon in Tadley.

They’re probably 25 miles away but they have a good range of stuff – bikes – components – coffee – clothing – etc
    They’re helpful, really helpful. If they say they’ll call you back, they’ll call you back.

They have a discount card so you get online prices in store & you get loyalty points.

hora
    Free Member

Thinking about it- I can’t think of one that stands out.

iamtheresurrection

I struggle to find the time to get into my LBS, but obviously I can order what I need from the Internet whenever I want. Price is important to me, but actually just getting what I want, when I need it is more important.

The last time I went to an LBS was a few months ago. I needed a carbon fork expander plug, and a new Park carbon cutting blade. I didn’t expect them to necessarily have the blade, but I tried EVERY shop in Newcastle and not one had a carbon expander in stock, not even a cheap and nasty M Parts one or similar.

Ironically, got some great advice from one shop about a 3T part, where you epoxy in an aluminium sleeve and fit a fairly regular SFN. Sounds great I said, I’ll have one of those instead: we don’t stock them, he said.

I get that the LBS can’t afford to stock items with a poor ROI, but ultimately the convenience and reliability of supply of the Internet is taking most of my money away from my LBS, not the price.

And without wanting to tar every shop with the same brush, when I do order parts in invariably they often forget to order it, almost never remember to call me when it arrives (and wait for me to call back) and are more emotional when dealing with returns. I like LBSs, a lot, but I think most have to decide exactly what they need to do to compete. And again, I’ve said it a few times now, for me it’s not about the price…

Edit: sorry OP, I forgot to comment on your post. I’d buy online, but still see your LBS for the bottom bracket. They should appreciate the chance to take some money off you through the workshop…

weeksy

I was a little disappointed with my LBS. It’s not one I’ve used regularly, but it’s now only a 5 mins walk from my door.

Went in for a new headset for the Charge Cooker.

“what headset make etc are you after? ” Asks the LBS

“A top of the range, no rubbish, the rest is up to you”. Replies me.

So he gets a lovely Acros Ceramic headset which he highly recommends. It currently has a 20% reduction in price, probably because it’s white lol. But that doesn’t bother me at all as I only care about functionality. So I tell him i’ll have it..

He quotes me the price and then £20 to fit it…

I thought the benefit of the LBS was the fact that if you buy the parts there they’re generally fitted FoC ? Or is that me being overly optimistic ?

That said… it was fitted, fitted well and he rang me to tell me it was done..

So was only a minor gripe.

iamtheresurrection

Weeksy: you want them to spend the margin they make on employing someone (and buying/renewing their tools) to fit bought items for free? I’m not sure I understand that model…

weeksy

iamtheresurrection – Member

Weeksy: you want them to spend the margin they make on employing someone (and buying/renewing their tools) to fit bought items for free? I’m not sure I understand that model…
    After reading threads on here mate, I honestly thought it was normal.

barffy
    Free Member

For the little things, I often find my LBS cheaper. For the big stuff he isn’t a muppet and actually recommends you buy your stuff from Chain Reaction and he will fit it. That may be something to do with the location of the shop. I don’t live in a…shall we say…affluent area and the business model revolves around fixing supermarket specials and selling CBR’s mainly. I can tell they would like to sell high end stuff, but the customers don’t exist in this town and little man has no chance of competing with the online retailers. The owner has told me that CRC sell parts cheaper to the general public than he can buy at trade price.

I don’t tend to feel too guilty about buying my parts from online retailers though, money is tight for all of us, not just LBS owners.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I was a little disappointed with my LBS. It’s not one I’ve used regularly, but it’s now only a 5 mins walk from my door.

“A top of the range, no rubbish, the rest is up to you”. Replies me.

So he gets a lovely Acros Ceramic headset which he highly recommends. It currently has a 20% reduction in price, probably because it’s white lol. But that doesn’t bother me at all as I only care about functionality. So I tell him i’ll have it..
    So not a regular, already getting 20% off an want free fitting?

robj20
    Free Member

Usually is if you spend a bit more. Ie frame and headset at the same time will come fitted.

weeksy

So not a regular, already getting 20% off an want free fitting?

the 20% was limited to that particular item… which was inordinately expensive as it was lol. Apparently he gets a stock list each day through on the computer with any discounts etc (multiple shops )

It wasn’t that I wanted, or needed free fitting… but I just thought it was normal.

iamtheresurrection

I guess it might be: if it is, I think its nuts…

bencooper
    Free Member

Some restaurants give you free bread rolls, others don’t. They’re not really free, of course, you’re just paying for them with the rest of your meal. There’s no restaurant-industry-wide policy about free rolls. You probably won’t get free rolls if you go in for the lunchtime special, you might be more likely to get free rolls if you’re a regular.

I need coffee.

weeksy

Is the coffee free ?

bencooper
    Free Member

It is in my shop. But you might have to go buy some milk.

hora
    Free Member

Maybe not the best comparison:

I guess visiting a (LBS) bike shop is the same as visiting (any) car showroom (for me) – its dull. I’d rather be out driving or riding. I find no joy in sitting in cars, looking at even exotic motors. Same with riding.

So a LBS- really, the only thing I’d get from a LBS is immediate supply but with next day delivery- really. Theres no need for one (for me).

dab

Went through some less well off times and used CRC / Merlin a bit
    With the new build I’ve done a bit online , used the LBS for wheel build & facing and some parts too

To be fair it’s been worth it as
    they sorted a potential issue with the BB threads as they weren’t cut properly fixed it there and then

The wheel build is better than my efforts and includes truing for life

And I like the range of outdoor / mountain stuff they do

Yes I’ll still buy tubes / chains / pads online
    But the lbs get a crack at all the rest

vincienup
    Free Member

I’m a bit in both camps. I like having a decent LBS, and they do offer to match Internet prices. Sometimes I’ll hold them to that, sometimes I let it slip and sometimes I just thank them and buy online. Generally if I price match something they get the difference and some in uncontested prices. I understand that it’s a ‘play the game’ scenario, and that’s fine.

I’m a little concerned actually about LBS’s. I’ve got a move coming up, and I’ve scoped out and selected my new LBS to be of choice, but it looks like I’m going to be faced with moving away from Juice Lubes products, which I like or buying them exclusively online… Maybe I should keep a closer eye on cans and bottles, but I always seem to notice just when they’ve run out. Damn Fenwicks and their clearly superior clout. 😉

hora
    Free Member

Merlin had it for a while. I’m guessing someone there jumped ship and went somewhere new. Theyve lost their way.

scotroutes

I do all my shopping here now..

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

All Terrain just opened new shop in Wetherby, about twenty miles away. Went in, got cracking service so don’t mind paying a few quid over the odds. Bought from CRC before but I’m not the most technically gifted of folk and CRC, as cheap as they can be, aren’t exactly known for their Customer Service and answering the phone! As far as I’m concerned, support your LBS and local jobs – so what if you called in and they were shut, they were probably out riding, wouldn’t you?

rockstar101
    Free Member

Just had 105 5800groupset supplied and fitted by my LBS for £380 (I provided my own bar tape) which by the time I paid a bit extra for cranks lengths ect I wanted and White cables only cost me about £35 more than ordering online.

I wouldn’t normally go to a LBS as from past experiences I was less than impressed. so far this lot have restored my confidence in them. Will still do 99% of the work myself but providing all go’s well picking it up tomorrow I’ll throw the bikes there way every now and again when I’m short on time or only costs a couple of quid extra.

winston
    Free Member

I was going to write a massive load of waffle about how wrong most people are on this thread and how I’m totally right but I can’t be arsed so I’m going to go and shag the missus instead

mikewsmith
    Free Member

make sure you tell her how lucky she is winston

Viewing 31 posts - 81 through 111 (of 111 total)

The topic ‘Supporting LBS – How much more to pay over and above internet prices?’ is closed to new replies.