Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Supplementary car heater/demister
  • johndoh
    Free Member

I have a very short drive to the train station each morning (which I do cycle when time/parenting responsibilities allow) which means the car doesn’t heat up enough to clear the screen. I have had a look on Amazon and every single one I have seen gets dreadful reviews – can anyone recommend one that works? Ta.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Surely you mean you have to wait for a while before moving rather than the screen doesn’t get clear by the time you get to the station or are you a letterbox driver?

Anyway the two methods that work –at opposite ends are chuck a fan heater in on an extension cord for 20 minutes prior to leaving

Fit an eberspacher /webasto standalone  unit on a timer/remote.

If it plugs into the cigarette lighter then it doesn’t work.

IHN

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jam-bo

taxi?

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Hot water bottle.

Take it to work and fill it up before your leave…assuming your train commute isn’t 3hrs long it should still be hot enough when you get home and the car is less cold, generally.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Buy a Mondeo*. Problem solved.

* other non-Audi cars with heated windscreens are available.

IHN

A kettle of hot water poured steadily over the outside of the windscreen/windows.

And no, the windows won’t crack, unless it’s like -20.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

I used a hot water bottle last winter its better than nothing but not much faster than sitting in the car with the engine running until the car warms up 5-10 minutes in my Peugeot 107. I’ve just switched to using a 1 litre Sigg type drinks bottle filled with boiling water, I put this on the dashboard with the blower on max and it warms the air enough to demist the inside of the glass in a couple of minutes.

FuzzyWuzzy

I looked into this a couple of years back and couldn’t find anything that got good reviews either. I ended up just getting one of the big reusable desiccant sachets from Tesco. Seems to work well enough to the inside of the windscreen doesn’t get much condensation (or ice) and clears after a couple of minutes (before you set off driving obviously…). You do need to remember to stick them in the microwave to recharge them regularly though (I did it every night during the last winter cold spell).

johndoh
    Free Member

Surely you mean you have to wait for a while before moving rather than the screen doesn’t get clear by the time you get to the station or are you a letterbox driver?

Yes this. Generally :-O

Buy a Mondeo

Yeah our other car (Volvo) has a quick clear screen and I love it. Definitely on my list of must haves when we eventually get rid of the knackered old second car that I use.

johndoh
    Free Member

FuzzyWuzzy – that sounds like a good solution – I’ll look into that.

matt_outandabout

Electric car with instant heater?

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

My wife and I find that Mondeo’s heated windscreen is extremely distracting when driving in the dark and into low sun, because of the way the elements cause additional glare. It’s not like it demists the windscreen any faster, when the car has aircon, an electric element in the heater so the blower is hot before the engine is warmed up anyway. When there is a frost you have t  de-ice all the side windows anyway.

johnners
    Free Member

Yeah our other car (Volvo) has a quick clear screen and I love it.

Pinch that one then and leave your wife with the cold one.

johndoh
    Free Member

Pinch that one then and leave your wife with the cold one.

Even if I could, I wouldn’t want to leave the newer car in the train station car dump. It has marginally less chance of being damaged on the school run (although someone drove into the back of it yesterday when I was dropping the girls off and left without leaving any details).

My wife and I find that Mondeo’s heated windscreen is extremely distracting when driving in the dark

I don’t find them at all distracting and never had TBH – I had a Puma with one of the earliest ones and it wasn’t an issue and on the Volvo it’s even more subtle.

mmannerr

Additional heater is common accessory in Nordic countries. They consist of wiring a small plug to bumper, optionally a battery charger, wiring another plug to passenger footwell and removable smallish heater unit bolted side of center console. Look for Defa or Calix brands.

Typically there is power outlet outside house for this purpose, often with timer. Junior drivers learn to disconnect the cord after paying for power outlet once.

Webasto / Eberspächer are nice too but will kill battery if the car is not driven enough.

andybrad

is it just condensation?

i use some of those dehumidifier packets.

johndoh
    Free Member

Desiccant pad ordered – I’ll see how that one works out ta.

bigyinn
    Free Member

If the car has air con, turn that on full blast at the windscreen, it dries the air and thus demists the car, its the only reason I’d use it, even in summer. (it doesn’t work in my scenic anyway).

If you dont have air con, you can get some rain x anti fog wipes. Clean the inside of the windscreen thoroughly first, wipe the inside with the wipe and then wipe it off with a clean cloth or rag and it dramatically reduces the time to demist it.

andybrad

those anti fog wipes are rubbish because as soon as you whipe the screen it does into big blobs of water that you want get off and your worse off than when you started

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

its the only reason I’d use it

remind me never to buy a used car from you…

I start the car 5 minutes or so before leaving if its proper frosted up, but I have a longer drive so I’m not exactly doubling the rate at which I’m murdering the baby robins with emissions. I’m sure I’ll be informed about premature engine wear by doing this, but I’m cool with that, on the six days a year it happens.

phiiiiil

Electric car with instant heater?

I can set our Zoe warming up before leaving the house in the morning and ten minutes before getting back to it on an evening; it’s one of the best things about it 🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

I’d get a Zoe but for the silly battery rental cost. For the same (probably less) money I could get a very nice Focus or Fiesta with a heated screen.

therealthing
    Free Member

It’s not like it demists the windscreen any faster, when the car has aircon, an electric element in the heater so the blower is hot before the engine is warmed up anyway

I find the exact opposite, they considerably speed up clearing the screen, and I don’t have any glare issues.

trail_rat
    Free Member

fitted an electric windscreen to my land rover.

great for removing the frost from the inside on a regular basis…..left to its own devices with the engine on and the blower on max it might defrost by April.

no glare.

Depends on screen angle to the sun i find.

the hire focus i had with one was sodding awful for seeing the wires/glaring

johndoh
    Free Member

when the car has aircon, an electric element in the heater

I am not aware of any cars that have this feature (I don’t know why as it seems to make sense to me). From what I understand, they get the heat from the same source as a standard car heater (ie the engine’s heat).

trail_rat
    Free Member

audi famously had one that liked to catch fire

resulted in a large recall.

stumpy01

I use a desicant pack that I got from Amazon, I think. It helps but doesn’t sort the issues completely. I have to remember to stick it on the dashboard when I get out of the car in the evening, and I should probably ‘recharge’ it more often. I might buy another one to double up on the effort.

stumpy01

Following on from the cupboard with condensation thread…..I wonder if one of those tubular heaters stuck in the car with a timer would work? Stick it on a timer, so it’s on for 30 mins before leaving the house….you’d obviously have to be able to run a mains lead into the car…..

Like this:

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p32265?r=googleshopping&rr=marin&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8LD2kd_W3gIVL7vtCh0D_gVHEAQYBCABEgJT5_D_BwE

scotroutes

I’ve heard that cat litter works. Put some in an open bag under your windscreen (apparently).

bob_summers

There’s a webasto in my van (it came with it) – impressive and would fix the OP’s problem, but totally useless for me as the van is generally parked 10 mins from home, and although it has a timer I don’t drive the van regularly.  It’s used most often when we sleep in it tbh, and it’s not designed as a cab heater.

BearBack
    Free Member

Sounds to me like you may have a damp issue in your car but with short journeys your car isn’t getting chance to dry out.

We have the same with our Mazda. Sunroof has a tiny leak when raining parked downhill. There’s mositure somewhere and if we don’t run it on a longer trip then its a bugger to deal with the condensation in the winter. End up breaking out the small fan Fan heater if we end up with ice inside or dehumidifier to try and combat.

I watched a Mythbusters type thing about demisting and something about cold air being dryer has more ability to absorb water so more effective at defogging your windshield.

cbike
    Free Member

I used to use a 300watt kitchen skirting board fan heater in a Transit to preheat in winter.

Rio

when the car has aircon, an electric element in the heater

I am not aware of any cars that have this feature (I don’t know why as it seems to make sense to me).

It’s not unusual but it rarely features in the car marketing specs for reasons known only to the manufacturers. We were talking to a dealer yesterday about a new car for Mrs R and he’d never heard of it either; yet my car has it and it’s brilliant. Not that that helps with your problem…

johndoh
    Free Member

Sounds to me like you may have a damp issue in your car but with short journeys your car isn’t getting chance to dry out.

Most probably – it is getting on a bit and rarely gets driven more than a few miles at a time (it only has 57k on the clock at nearly 12 years old and much of that was one in the first 4 or 5 years of it’s life and its now very much the second car.

I watched a Mythbusters type thing about demisting and something about cold air being dryer has more ability to absorb water so more effective at defogging your windshield.

I thought it was warm air that can capture more moisture (hence massive tropical rainstorms) but opening windows to let cold air in (being drier as it can’t hold moisture) helps as it replaces the relatively warmer / wetter air inside????

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My wife and I find that Mondeo’s heated windscreen is extremely distracting when driving in the dark

Depends on the screen, the OEM one in my focus was barely visible, the replacement from autoglass is much thicker wire (and seems to be shinier copper too, the old one was a dull red). The new screen also seems to have a bit of a lens distortion effect, can’t put my finger on it, but everything looks subtly different.

I thought it was warm air that can capture more moisture (hence massive tropical rainstorms) but opening windows to let cold air in (being drier as it can’t hold moisture) helps as it replaces the relatively warmer / wetter air inside????

Absolute Vs relative humidity.

Warm air is generally wetter as it has more capacity. So when they say 90% humidity that means the air is holding 90% of it’s capacity. But when you cool it the capacity drops but the absolute humidity remains the same so the RH goes up.

Until you get condensation, that’s how Air Con works, and dehumidifiers, blow warm air over a cold plate and all the water condenses, then blow it back over the hot plate to return it to the desired temperature.

So if you want to dry something out, put the air con and the heating on at the same time.

Same reason your skin dries out in winter, you’re sat in a room with the heating on the same temperature as it is in summer, but the absolute humidity is still the same as it is outside where it’s 0C (unless you live in a very well sealed house).

nealglover
    Free Member

Remote Eberspächer heater on my T4 multivan. So obviously you need to buy an 18 year old German Spec LHD VW T4 Multivan.

Toasty warm in 5 minutes and can set it going from my bed, or set a timer if I can be bothered (I can’t) 👍

bsims
    Free Member

I have the same problem on my 2 minute drive to drop Micro Sims at nursery. I use a dehumidifier bag, leave it on the dash over night and it keeps the car dry enough that you don’t get too much condensation. It’s not perfect just acceptable. I then put it in the airing cupboard over the week end every few weeks. I demist the car fully whilst waiting for nursery to open.

bsims
    Free Member

Just noticed your post I missed whilst reading down, I think you will find that the cheapest option and acceptable.

BearBack
    Free Member

perhaps it is that cold air has the ability to capture more moisture.. warm air is more saturated so less ability to remove mositure.
    AC too.. my Subaru and Mazda both cycle the AC compressor when the air is set to windscreen.. was really annoying when the subarus AC clutch was on the way out and I’d get an intermittent screeching. Was an easy fix but I couldn’t connect the dots without google.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Supplementary car heater/demister’ is closed to new replies.