Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • superstitious?
  • donsimon
    Free Member

Are you?
    I just found myself saying “One for sorrow, two for joy,” on seeing a magpie.
    I don’t consider myself supestitious though.
    What do you do that might be considered superstitious?

druidh
    Free Member

I always salute a magpie.

xcgb
    Free Member

Nowt

(Touch wood)

MrWoppit
    Free Member

One of my staff some years ago was discussing having seen four magpies on the way to work and wondered what it might “mean”.

I told her that it meant she had seen four magpies on the way to work…

xcgb
    Free Member

Friends of mine do this and say the same rhyme – really bizarre

Really guys? I purposely walk under ladders to prove its just hocus pocus. The looks I get sometimes is breathtaking

bikebouy
    Free Member

Nope, but used to be a teeny bit. I used to carry a StChris in my back pocket when racing “back in the day” and thought it kept me safe. Truth is I don’t think it had anything to do with safety, I still crashed and burned. Then one day I crashed and it fell out of my rear pocket and that was it..

binners

I always put clothes on before I leave the house. Every time I haven’t, its not ended well

^ lol

It doesnt bear thinking about

xcgb
    Free Member

Really guys? I purposely walk under ladders to prove its just hocus pocus. The looks I get sometimes is breathtaking

But thats just common sense! not really superstition

I worked with a woman that REALLY believed she would cause someone to die if she washed clothes on New years day I kid you not….

ohnohesback
    Free Member
    loum
    Free Member

Every four years I put a small cross in a box.
    I’ve experimented with other superstitions, and actually had more success with magpies.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I believe in Sod’s Law…

Been waiting a while for a parcel delivery… go take a dump.

joao3v16
    Free Member

I’m not superstitious but I do have specific habits/routines, especially pre-ride checks type stuff, that if aren’t “right” bug me until I stop and do it ‘properly’ …

sugdenr
    Free Member

I purposely walk under ladders to prove its just hocus pocus.

I beleive this got codified – its called health and safety – a spanner, tin of paint etc landing on your head is not suspersition its serious injury – certainly without your hard hat on.

Many things we see as voodoo or religion actually have a historic useful reason and purpose we dont realise.

xcgb
    Free Member

Many things we see as voodoo or religion actually have a historic useful reason and purpose we dont realise.

Saluting magpies!?

sugdenr
    Free Member

Saluting magpies!?

I said many things, not everything 😡 ……although you never know, suggestions on a postcard 😀

Ro5ey
    Free Member

I’ve got just one…

Never

Ever

Say…

“LAST RUN”

joao3v16
    Free Member

Never

Ever

Say…

“LAST RUN!”

Or, “I’ve not had a puncture for ages”

Guaranteed double-flat on your next ride.

Trimix
    Free Member

Superstitious people amuse me. Im too rational for it.

I too walk under ladders, run in corridors and can ride a bike without a helmet.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

and can ride a bike without a helmet.

From what I hear it’s best you pad up when walking at the minute.

Trimix
    Free Member

Good point TSY – I should be wearing that neck brace as well 🙂

Also the conversation we had before my final ride (into a tree) at the jump site is perhaps an omen 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

I’ve not had a puncture for ages”

I have not – well off road got one on road last week and I am off out riding tonight

7 years bad luck for breaking a mirror is because the lord and lady made you pay for breaking it and it took 7 years to pay it off

Is not a believer excepet where they make sense – ie ladder

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Haha… you’re right… “one last run.. I’m not superstitious” DOFF!!

D0NK

Load of cobblers innit

except bike related, then I’m superstitious, don’t mention punctures or lack thereof, don’t do a one last run, don’t say “looks like we’ve missed the worst of the weather” etc.

Don’t really believe it will tempt fate but I do feel uncomfortable doing any of the above

human beings eh? bunch of wierdos

miketually
    Free Member

I’m not superstitious, but my vicar is.

Codified – now that sir is a beautiful word!

I know it’s different but I took a girl to the cinema to watch candyman many moons ago. Whilst driving back i said candyman twice in the mirror and she proper freaked out – had to stop the car and she was getting hysterical – not superstition but stupid all the same

Gotta love the female kind, can’t live with em’ … can’t kill em’

GrahamS

Yep.

And if I see a single magpie I always try and spot a second one “for Joy”. 😀

(and yes obviously it’s cobblers – but it’s just one of those things innit?)

sugdenr
    Free Member

Gotta love the female kind, can’t live with em’ … can’t kill em’

My wife recokns I give it a good try though, constantly breaking her heart and all…….but unlike the vamprire, she maanges to to survive.

slimjim78
    Free Member

I couldnt read this as im superstitious of reading about superstition.

I did see a magpie sitting on the back of a sheep this morning on the way to work, never seen a sheep with a look of ”WTF?!” like that on its face before, ears all pricked.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

joao3v16 – Member
    Never
    Ever

Say…

“LAST RUN!”

Or, “I’ve not had a puncture for ages”

Guaranteed double-flat on your next ride.

Don’t forget those immortal words, “Watch this, everyone…”

TheFlyingOx

Superstitious about nothing except fogfish. Stupid, bastarding fogfish and the stupid, bastarding fog they portend 👿

chewkw
    Free Member

Plenty of magpies here and I see them almost everyday throughout the year, never countered them at all.

I also tend to leave leftover of food for the birds and there is always one magpie with one leg coming for the food from time to time.

brakes
    Free Member

not superstitious at all, but Magpies do freak me out a bit so I always say hello to them.
    they always seem to be knocking around wherever I live, with their spooky shrill squawks.

at the moment there is a male, a female and a fledgling magpie in my back garden all the time. at dusk they like to bang sticks on the skylights in my living room which freaks me out good and proper.

Plenty of magpies here

aren’t you in Newcastle chewkw?

D0NK

go on I’ll bite, what’s a fogfish?

MrSalmon
    Free Member

If I see a magpie in the morning I always say “Good morning Mr Magpie, how are the wife and kids?”
    Not sure where I got that from…

TheFlyingOx

go on I’ll bite, what’s a fogfish?

It’s an evil creature that serves as an omen of impending fog. The sort of fog that stops the choppers flying and me going home tomorrow after 2 weeks out at work. The wee sods are having a gay old time jumping out of the water round the legs of the platform.

chewkw
    Free Member

brakes – Member

Plenty of magpies here

aren’t you in Newcastle chewkw?

Yes, I am in the toon but am not referring to enthusiastic footie supporters or players.

🙂

Ro5ey
    Free Member

With all this talk of Magpies…

Don’t you reckon there are more magpie about these days, than when you were a kid??

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘superstitious?’ is closed to new replies.