• This topic has 30 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by P20.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Superstar XCR chain guide – does this look right?
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

i think it should be further forwards but having no instructions leaves me a little blind!

any help gratefully received

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Needs more cephalopod.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Looks about right? From memory, the one I had on my 456 I just tried to put it in the same sort of location as a front mech would be.

Move it further forward if you feel the need, but surely it’ll narrow the up/down gap the chain can go through at the extremes of the rear sprockets. If that makes any sense?

What gear ratios you running? I was just contemplating going 1×9 on my FTM.

Post some pics of the full build!

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I rotated mine so that when in the smallest cog – the bottom of the guide wasnt rubbing on the chain. Then moved it up/ down so that it didnt rub in the biggest cog. Plus some final tweaking.

What cog are you in there?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

pissing me right off – in the 36t at teh back it forces the chain off the front ring and i cannot see/understand how to remedy it!
    in the pic it was in the 11t at the back

jam-bo

Buy an e13 xcx. Perfect remedy. Took five minutes to fit and been flawless since.

Some things are worth paying a little extra for…

rob-jackson
    Free Member

how would it make any difference jam bo or are you just being your usual provocative and pious self?

scaredypants

surely if it’s not holding the chain properly move it further back, not forwards – you have to stop the chain “derailing” and it can only do that before it locates on the chainring teeth ?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

11t! Oh. You have some tweaking to do!

On mine – in the 11t the chain should be almost touching the lower “bolt”.

I’ll try and get some photos of mine tomorrow.

In the meantime – rotate it forward a good bit. It’ll start to rub the ring – so move it up as required. Leave it in 11t.

PrinceJohn

pissing me right off – in the 36t at teh back it forces the chain off the front ring and i cannot see/understand how to remedy it!
    in the pic it was in the 11t at the back

Would probably help if you ran a ss specific front ring, longer teeth hold the chain better. Myself & a friend both swapped to 1×9 using the superstar device I’ve not dropped a chain & he’s had all sorts of dropping & jamming issues. The only difference is I use a ss chain ring.

jam-bo

Well it would work for a start and you wouldn’t be getting all pissy.

I’d say that was worth about £15 extra…

singlespeedstu

Propper ring at the front would sort your problem.

Well at least until the guide block breaks.

Then you could replace it with an E13 and have no more problems. 🙂

rob-jackson
    Free Member

sss – new unramped ring comes this week

tomtomthepipersson

I ended up with mine quite a bit higher and rotated further back – less chain rub – works a treat – haven’t dropped a chain since using it (with a Blackspire mono Veloce 34t ring)

Not a great pic but you might be able to see:

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

I run a 36 x 36-11, no problamo.

rockhopperbike

have had one of these for a month or two, but gone back to triple as got fed up of chain jamming and general faffing around, was using a standard 34t ring, is the general opinion that a specific single speed ring(longer teeth) would solve the problems of chain loss?

shinsplints

Got one myself & use Hope SS chainring. No probs, but I do ride like pure gheylord. 🙂

Neil-F
    Free Member

Do you have a spacer in beside the chainguide bracket at the BB? Put 2 spacers on the non-drive side if you do?

mboy
    Free Member

What jam bo and SSStu said… Only don’t replace it with an E13 top only guide, replace it with an E13 or MRP full guide, top and bottom…

The Superstar XCR is the shittest, least reliable chain guide on the market bar none… Read some of the threads on it on here… Anyway… You are also running a ramped front ring, that is designed for it to be easy to shift from it to another in a multi ring setup. This is not helping in any way, so get yourself a proper unramped ring and that will also help no end.

For the record, MRP Lopes chain device, unramped Gussett chainring, 11-36 1×10 setup and it all works flawlessly, no matter where. When I had a Superstar XCR, I’d drop the chain at least once or twice every ride (the guide would bend, and the chain would jam in it), which defeats the whole object of going 1×10 for simplicity and reliability.

takisawa2

1×10 here with XCR guide. Working perfectly. Never loses the chain. Take a bit if time to set it up right & you’ll be fine.

Of course, you could splash out on overpriced E13 kit.
    I mean, it costs loads so it must be better right…surely…

jam-bo

Of course, you could splash out on overpriced E13 kit.
    I mean, it costs loads so it must be better right…surely…

In this case, I’d say yes.

kiwijohn

Seconded.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Anyone know if this is (definitively) unramped:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=28192

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I’ve had no problems with my XCR guide. Takes a bit of time to line up but its a chunk of plastic on shaped piece of metal. Not really anything to go wrong.

There are some poor reports of the seat tube mounted one, but the bb one has had reasonble write ups I thought.

I also had no problems using a ramped chainring.

zippykona

I was thinking of going single on the front. Only use the middle,but it seems like a lot of aggro and I can’t be bothered!

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Rob, just get something like a Blackspire mono veloce chainring – it whatever size.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

bought a truvativ dh ring – unramped

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

that’ll do the job

TheSwede
    Free Member

shinsplints – Member

Got one myself & use Hope SS chainring. No probs, but I do ride like pure gheylord.
    Especially around back garden!

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Truvativ DH chainring and 2 washers – all works spot on on the workstand now 🙂

P20

I’ve got the superstar running 1×9 with a rental 32t ring. Works spot on, I run the guide quite low, just clear of the chainring arms from memory

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Superstar XCR chain guide – does this look right?’ is closed to new replies.