Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 96 total)
  • Superstar wheels worth the punt at £160 a pair?
  • postierich
    Free Member

Hovering other the buy button need some 29er wheels for various rides like the Italy Divide instead of my 650b plus wheels with Hugo rims this look a bargin, Probably will not get use that much so they look just the job anyone have any experiences with superstar hubs and the rims they spec on them going for the I29

https://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/essential-wtb-v3-wheelset-tubeless-ready.htm?fbclid=IwAR0SWXREDPgiI-Rpl7MGxEKGrifTdnUQz-aNagMDR0rkEH1eezfHZeoZsXs

GeForceJunky

I have their V6 hubs … the end caps fall off and the front isn’t exactly 110mm wide, so the maxle ends up at a silly angle compare to all my other wheels.

damascus
    Free Member

Shows at £229 for me

Ss are doing some wheels for on one. Might be worth looking at?

JAG

I’ve got some of their road wheels – I have no complaints.

£250 and less than 1500 grams (confirmed by me). Also used the re-build service and have been very happy with the service and the product :o)

sam1988
    Free Member

Literally just about to ask this as after a new set if wheels got my voodoo bizango

postierich
    Free Member

Use code OCT19 to get an extra 30% off 🙂

plus-one

Put few thousand miles onto a set of ss road wheels never seen a spoke key and still run smooth 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

The rims are basic. Heavy and not that tough.

I’d either spend a bit more or look at secondhand options.

jkomo

Had loads of SS wheelsets. All good. Had a problem with one. Sorted out no probs.

kneed

I’ve had SS wheels in the past and would happily buy more! I changed bearings on them easily for peanuts.

On the other hand: I had WTB i 29er series rims and there was significant corrorion on the inside of the rims after just 12 months (nothing to do with Superstar). And that’s just a sample of one. Are there other rims available for this discount?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

They’re a bit hit and miss, had three sets, first fell to bits but were replaced FOC, second still mint, replacement set rear goosed but on the hardtail of a talentless, (slightly) overweight, bike killing, shitwit.

ads678

I’ve got a set of fuel hubs on mavic rims from SS. Been on my solaris for 2 years or so and have been faultless. Which is a pain in the arse as I want to replace them with something a bit more blingey…..

Had 2 other sets of  xc wheelsets that were so fine.

superjohn71
    Free Member

I’ve got SS xc wheels on my Charge plug and 26” fuel on my triggers broom hardtail. No problems with them at all

guandax
    Free Member

Went for Isotope wheels. Wanted ~30mm width and UK weather proof hub

konanige

My first set lasted years, the most recent ones not so good . Freehub went all wobbly so tried to get new bearings, but they weren’t available and SS wouldn’t tell me the sizes so ended up buying new freehub for £60. Freehub still wobbly so I reckon axle is undersized but as I didn’t check at very beginning I have no one to blame but myself.

filks

I had a pair of switch hubs on Pacenti rims – they were brilliant; free truing used once – more from checking because of age rather than any real concerns about shape. Sent back from truing within 3 days. They’re still going strong on a mates bike.

Would buy again

superstu
    Free Member

I’ve had three sets and all have been spot on, including the really cheap ones they punted out for around £100 a set a year or two back. Would definitely get some from them again.

woody2000

I’ve had 3 sets and at least 2 of them failed long before they should have done (fuel hubs).  The fuel hub was one of their bought in and re-stickered jobs I think – and they seemed shit to be quite honest.  Snapped a rear axle twice and completely trashed the freehub internals once (the bit of the freehub that holds the pawls/springs snapped).  Their in house hubs might be better though, who knows.

sam1988
    Free Member

Very tempted to get some blue v6 hubs on stans arch rims. 30 percent off is some saving!

pimpingimp
    Free Member

I recently bought a set of their V3 “essential” wheels, basically the cheapest 29er wheelset i could get from them.
    They arrived with no front adapters and a non-functioning freewheel. Not a good start.
    All sorted within a week but the rear isn’t dished properly so it sits to the right, albeit it does run straight.

I bought “pre-order” so maybe when all the parts came they threw them together as quick as they could, no idea, but pretty disappointed. That said, they were £140 and I couldn’t get a rear Hope hub for that so it’s not all bad, rear engagement isn’t great but they do a job at the cheap end of the market. Last set I bought from there were Electra hubs on 27.5 rims and to be honest they were superb, so I wish I just had new rims built on to those.

Wharfedale
    Free Member

Watching with interest, tempted by the V6/WTB combo or would I be better with a pair of Chosen/Alex rim combo from the likes or Merlin?

kayla1
    Free Member

All our SS wheels have had Switch (Novatec) hubs which are ace. I have no experience of their UK made stuff though.

wzzzz
    Free Member

A mate had a set of their first run UK made hubs in a wheelset.

He rode them 3 times and they failed ruining his ride 3 times. Freehub problems.

After the third time of sending them he had to go to his credit card company for a refund.

Their customer service is shocking, they fought him all the way.

——

I have a set of their essentials boost 29er 25mm rim on novatec hub I got for £75 in July. Faultless so far on about 10 rides.

——

The later runs of their UK made hubs might be better… but I would stick to something better known and with better customer service until they are better established.

toby

My experience was the same as @woody2000 above – freehub on a Fuel hub fell apart. As he says, that’s not something they’d made so their own stuff may be stronger.

stevextc
    Free Member

I’ve got 3 pairs if you include the kids 24″
    1st pair cost me £100, first ride I’d only put on the front and by the time i was 1/2 way round a barely single track trail was out by 1cm…
    Got home, removed all spoke tension and redid the spokes on both wheels and both were still going fine after 3yrs until the fuel freehub failed (just cracked) with <<40Nm-1

Superstar no longer sell the freehub and only offer the last XD so I’m going to end up chucking the wheel… as its not really worth rebuilding or worth £60 + buying a SRAM cassette for the bike they are used on.

Can’t really complain after 3 yrs for £100 though…

2nd £100 Pair came with novatech hubs… one rim was so badly pressed together you could see clear daylight through it. Despite this it sealed …

Kids pair came with Fuel rear hub…. this just doesn’t work with the QR endcaps… the freehub just falls off if you sneeze when the wheel is out (mate got one as well does the same). Same hub works absolutely fine with the 12mm endcaps… to be honest it seals so badly with the QR endcaps it’s a good thing it falls off as it needs cleaning and regreasing every couple of rides in winter.

Painey
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of wheels they made for me with Stans Arch mk3 rims, which ended up cracking badly around the spoke holes – a known issue with those rims. I asked SS if it was normal for a pair of their wheels to fail so badly after 2.5 years of light use and they wanted nothing to do with it = out of warranty. Said crash repair was my only option.

I emailed Stans about the rims who supplied me new ones for free, acknowledging the faults. I asked SS if I could then supply them the rims for the crash repair build and they told me to get lost. Only option was if I bought them from them instead at nearly £100 each!

Now I’m not saying they did anything especially wrong but they also did pretty much bugger all in a way of trying to help. Considering the wheels were north of £500 I expected a bit more in the way of customer support.

hot_fiat

Have you looked at the DT Swiss 1900 wheels from on-one? Or even the fulcrum versions?

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WPDTSWISSM1900/dt-swiss-m-1900-spline-29-6-bolt-wheelset—front-15mm—rear-12x142mm

essexbiker
    Free Member

or you could buy mine 😉 29″ wheels

wzzzz
    Free Member

Superstar no longer sell the freehub and only offer the last XD so I’m going to end up chucking the wheel… as its not really worth rebuilding or worth £60 + buying a SRAM cassette for the bike they are used on.

It’ll probs be a novatec or chosen hub. Cheap spares are out there. I rebuilt a superstar superleggera trizoid with parts for a Halo supadrive hub from Triton cycles as they are the same chosen hub.

woody2000

The fuel hubs were made by a French company IIRC – Aivee MT2?

superstarcomponents
    Free Member

Hello we are struggling to keep up with demand for our UK made hubs at the moment. They have evolved over the couple of thousand hubs made since launch, so now we don’t really get any issues with them. Lots of tiny refinements like changing the endcap fit tighter by 0.1mm but now we get people complaining you can’t get them off. Can’t win…

We stopped dealing with novatec for switch, kt for Tesla/electro and Aivee for the fuel several years ago. But where there’s spares holes you can get the parts from the manufacturer online usually. Where it’s not possible we do a crash rebuild discount to build on a new hub. But we aren’t going to do it for free for your 4 year old wheel which needs new everything like some people seem to think. Sorry but we are way more competitive than the other brands, we have to draw a line somewhere. We are fair and do it for basically physical manufacturing cost to keep people happy.

All our hubs are made in-house now. The essentials V3 builds are crazy value for money as they don’t have all the added nice things you might not use like crash rebuild and free Truing . Let’s face it your paying for that up front but it suits some people, others want cheap up front

With the current promo your not far off the OEM price other brands buy them from us 100s at a time…

Anyway I need to get back to the CNCs to make some medical parts. Obviously they will be rubbish if you believe the trolls!

Neil SuperstarComponents

pimpingimp
    Free Member

Funny you should say that Neil, about the end caps… when I got sent the end caps for my front hub after they didn’t come with them I forgot to put grease in it, and it squeaks, and I can’t get it off! 🙂

I thought it was just me… I’m sure I can do it with some soft grips, but it’s nice to know it’s normal!

superstarcomponents
    Free Member

They need tipping slightly and pulling to one side. Dab of grease if you must but it attracts mud. Better to run dry and the seals polish up in a ride. Whichever works for you.

Neil SuperstarComponents

martinhutch

Anyway I need to get back to the CNCs to make some medical parts.

What’s the warranty like on your hip replacements?

stevextc
    Free Member

wzzzz

It’ll probs be a novatec or chosen hub. Cheap spares are out there. I rebuilt a superstar superleggera trizoid with parts for a Halo supadrive hub from Triton cycles as they are the same chosen hub.

Its not its …
    woody2000

The fuel hubs were made by a French company IIRC – Aivee MT2?

anyway… Aivee its not clear which one or indeed if they sell that one and the cheapest would be Euro 66 on a pair of wheels that cost me £100.

stevextc
    Free Member

Sorry but we are way more competitive than the other brands, we have to draw a line somewhere.

Much as I appreciate that most of my issues have been assembly not manufacturing.
    I’m happy rebuilding a wheel myself, just don’t think I should have to after a single gentle ride.

Same with pedals (which are great) .. in fact I’ve got 3 sets but out of those 2 sets needed rebuilding after 1 ride.. well obviously before a ride as the end bolt wasn’t torqued… started clicking 1st ride, got it home cleaned and torqued up properly and its still going 3 years later.

Painey
    Free Member

Sorry but we are way more competitive than the other brands, we have to draw a line somewhere.

At customer service when warranty is up in my experience!!

superstarcomponents
    Free Member

Yes that’s how most warranties work. Then we stock a huge range of spares for sensible prices From then on. You can go spend 3 times as much and you will find the same. After 2 years it’s a maintenance issue/wear and tear not a manufacturing fault clearly.

How about this. We triple our prices and we will warranty it for 10 years. Pop the cash in the post if that makes you happier, £500 wheelset for you.

Care to list a uk manufactured hub set built into branded rims for sub £200 hell sub £300 with longer than 2 year warranty…. you will be looking a long time

Neil SuperstarComponents

duncancallum

My dhxs where ok rim build wise

Did the ally freehub. Though my syncros ones done the same I broke an axle as well

But they’re still true…..

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

I’ve got 3 sets of 29er wheels from SS – two are Switch hubs with Stans rims (arch and crests) and have given sterling service for the last 3-4 years.

The newest ones are 75 quid Essential ones (Novatec hubs). Can’t fault them. And 75 quid! Bloody bargain.

Also got some older 26er switch/stans, now on my kid’s bike – again, never had a problem with them (and 7 years old looking at my order history!).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘Superstar wheels worth the punt at £160 a pair?’ is closed to new replies.