Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 168 total)
  • SUPERSTAR WARNING!!! SUPERSTAR WARNING! PLEASE READ!!!!!!!
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

On the last bit. Sales of goods act should apply?

It should but I’d rather know beforehand what their plan was, if it involves posting it across Europe/Taiwan to confirm if it’s an issue before thinking of refunding, replacing weeks/months later I’d walk away. Sale of Goods act in the end is there for when things go wrong. I’d rather not get to that point. Also the letter from Pure was interesting – would like to see a KS response for it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

From the T&C’s on warranty

Warranty
    All parts bought from Superstar Components come with a 2 year warranty guaranteeing parts are free from defects in materials or workmanship for a period of two years after original purchase unless otherwise stated below. The warranty is non-transferable and valid to the original purchaser of the product only, proof of purchase will be needed so don’t throw away your receipts/invoice.
    Like all guarantees this does not mean that all parts are indestructible. This warranty does not cover wear and tear or damage caused by crashes, bike transport, improper use or poor installation. Cyclists should regularly check they bike for damage and that parts are correctly installed.
    All parts have a finite lifetime and this is determined by the manner the part is used, maintenance and conditions of use.
    1. All cartridge bearings have a finite lifetime. Bearings that fail due to contamination, misuse, improper installation, or lack of maintenance are not covered under warranty even if failure occurs within two years from date of purchase.
    2. Parts which have been modified, neglected or poorly maintained are not covered under warranty
    3. Damage from causes other than defects in materials and workmanship such as a user’s lack of skill, competence or experience is not covered under warranty.
    4. The finish or aesthetics of the product are not covered under this warranty.
    5. Normal wear to the product is not covered under warranty. Components may have symptoms of wear in less than two years depending on amount of use, type of use and other conditions. This includes products that have reached the end of their normal life expectancy.

This does not affect your statutory rights.
    Point 2 will usually sort any Dropper Post problem…. (though mine was fixed but it did fail on it’s first outing and the fixing could then be done in house)

Also worth noting….

Pricing

Prices include VAT (Value Added Tax)* at the standard UK rate of 17.5%. VAT does not apply to orders that are to be shipped outside the E.U. or to Tax Free areas such as the Channel Islands. These areas will be priced and billed with VAT deducted automatically.

hora
    Free Member

For sticking (main) issues I imagine hes used to clean/regrease of these himself. Anyway enough defending. Im looking like a sycophant.

rob2
    Free Member

Hmmm. I log in and see someone else. Bit odd I must say. He bought a dropper post today!

andyl
    Free Member

I went tot he site and a Lev appeared in my basket and it said I was logged in.

Then something else got added when I tried to add a lev. And then some more funny goings on.

I am now in my account with a lev in my basket.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

andyl – Member
    I went tot he site and a Lev appeared in my basket and it said I was logged in.

Then something else got added when I tried to add a lev. And then some more funny goings on.

I am now in my account with a lev in my basket.

So am I

lucien

Woud it be safer if I bought stuff from Superstar using Paypal Gift?

hora
    Free Member

You’d get shafted? ?

crankrider
    Free Member

Woud it be safer if I bought stuff from Superstar using Paypal Gift?

Maybe just wait until tomorrow when everybody will go back to work and any problem will be sorted as i am sure they will have plenty of reports in their inbox!

Or of course rush an order through now and then moan a week later when your details are showing up somwhere they shouldnt…

bigdean

This thread can be summed up in 7seconds linky

mamadirt
    Free Member

No problems at all here. Just ordered a chain guide. Oh and for the record Superstar have always been super-quick to reply to any email queries.

tymbian
    Free Member

+1 here for Superstar.

Looking forward to receiving someones dropper-post soon. 😀

aye-aye
    Free Member

I have never ordered anything from Superstar or even logged into the Superstar website.
    My bargain dropper seatpost has still not arrived, who do I complain to?
    How can they let this happen??

robhughes
    Free Member

Just logged in and got someones details and order history here 😕
    Think i,ll leave that one until tomorrow.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I hope somebody (especially those claiming to know the guys) have given them a call and told them that their website is spewing customers details out all over the place and needs to be taken off line before they get in trouble.
    From their Facebook 3hrs ago

Superstar Components Hello the office closes at 5pm so you won’t get through. I’ve checked the site on several computers and cannot find an error. It looks like the server had a glitch and spat out the wrong session to a few people due to hundreds of people logging on for the special offer at exactly the same time.

We apologise for any confusion and can confirm that nobody can charge you or order things on your behalf because all our payments are handled offsite by PayPal.

I’ll check up on this tomorrow as I can find any issues currently

MrSmith
    Free Member

I’m Luke B *waves*

Are you the emo kid who was on here all the time years back? Along with ‘Big Mike AKA Mike’ who I believe was another kid with hormone problems who also spent too much time on the Internet?
    I did wonder if they turned into normal people after those tumultuous teenage years?
    And was it you who got your friend to sign up even though she didn’t own a mountainbike? Her name was louisa bliggy?

Apolagies if I have the wrong LukeB.

skids
    Free Member

When this happened on the gamestation website they started giving out £100 vouchers to people reporting it. They can get in a lot of trouble

antigee

ANDYRM

and believe me, those details simply are not in the hands of an online retailer.

is that correct?

i thought about 99% true – all retailers use a merchant to process credit card transactions and smaller retailers are simply linking you to the merchant (paypal, nochex, hsbc etc) website where the transaction is processed and then the merchant site flags back to the retailer saite that the transaction has happened – thats why most small retailers take payment at time of order

large retailers offer you the convenience of storing credit card details (some infamously some not) eg Amazon, CRC, Wiggle, NEXT = my understanding is that this info is directly stored by the retailer – albeit the systems set up has to meet the merchants security criteria – gives customer convenience and billing when that back order item eventually turns up

oh yes the thread title is OTT, the explanation of what info was being displayed too vague to start with

andyrm
    Free Member

Yep – effectively what happens is the website transfers you to the Paypal “till” with a note saying how much you owe. You pay this to Paypal. Paypal confirm to retailer you have paid, and return you to retailer website, with the retailer never seeing the card info at all.

Revenues are then instantly in the retailer’s Paypal account, less Paypal’s commission.

Believe me, Paypal security is super tight. And by it being like this, the odds of a CRC style hack of stored cards is much lower as the retailer never had them.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep It’s expected that no CC details were let out but names address and phone numbers along with order history, ie failure of the log in process should have been sorted out when they knew about it not leaving it till the morning to sort out.

hora
    Free Member

I agree. That could have at least been worded better ”will look into this asap’ even if you meant secretly you werent til first thing.

antigee

and believe me, those details simply are not in the hands of an online retailer.

is that correct?

Believe me, Paypal security is super tight. And by it being like this, the odds of a CRC style hack of stored cards is much lower as the retailer never had them.

don’t really understand answer – yes I believe Paypal security is very good – and that SSC use Paypal to process transactions so they fall in the 99% of “smaller” businesses that never hold card data

but i’m not sure on “the never in the hands of a retailer” – i believe this isn’t the case for some large retailers – the data may not be readily accessed by employees but sits on the retailer side

munrobiker
    Free Member

Are you the emo kid who was on here all the time years back? Along with ‘Big Mike AKA Mike’ who I believe was another kid with hormone problems who also spent too much time on the Internet?
    I did wonder if they turned into normal people after those tumultuous teenage years?
    And was it you who got your friend to sign up even though she didn’t own a mountainbike? Her name was louisa bliggy?

*waves*

I turned out as reasonable as could be expected.

wwaswas

And I’m just a Luke B, not the Luke B.

patriotpro
    Free Member

it is a classic case of blowing something out of proportion.

= classic case of pot calling kettle…

johnellison
    Free Member

I would join in but I’ve just dislocated my jaw with yawning… 😯

duffle
    Free Member

What you doing typing with your jaw…….confubulator lessons for you I’m afraid! 😉

Trekster

http://www.backupdirect.net/data-protection-act-summary

As my dad found out recently all that the scum out there need is a name, address and telephone number to aquire a mobile phone from Vodafone. Took 4mth to sort that out with a visit from the debt collectors threatened!!

So although it might not look serious it is 😯

However whether it be human nature, mechanical or digital incidents like this will always crop up 🙄

boblo
    Free Member

If card data is held, merchants generally comply with the standards laid down in the PCI DSS (Google it). Compliance is verified via internal and external audit during test/deployment.

In this case the card data will be held by PayPal who will be fully PCI compliant. I wouldn’t get too excited though, some of the PCI compliant systems I’ve seen haven’t been very clever at all…..

As for sharing confidential data (name, address etc), this may fall under the data protection act and if I were Fruit, I’d be very concerned about contravening that as porridge and/or massive fine are likely outcomes.

Trekster

What boblo says. Mrs T is awaiting the outcome of an investigation at her place of work 😐

wwaswas

He does seem to have changed his tone a bit on Facebook. As boblo said – his biggest worry is going to be if there’s any subsequent data protection fallout for him.

I do find it odd – if CRC/Wiggle/etc were spraying random peoples names addresses and order details out to all and sundry I suspect there’d be less ‘he’s a nice chap, let’s keep it quiet and let him sort out in his own time’ type responses.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

After their facebook was quiet about it I posted a link to this thread, he nicely deleted it this morning.

In all seriousness the sensible thing would have been to pull the plug and put a holding page up till you worked out what was going on. Especially given the Data Protection aspects which are very serious. But I guess if you were trying to get shot of a load of KS posts super quick….

slowoldgit
    Free Member

In case anyone is counting, what treckster said about name, address & number happened to me. It killed off my existing mobile when I was far from home. It was then not easy to sort.

andyrm
    Free Member

I think the lynch mob need to settle down now. SS have posted on their FB that they are investigating.

Wait till the outcome of that and establishment of facts as to what happened and corrective measures in place.

Tech outages are always going to happen – and given the STW IT worker demographic, I’m sure you all know that.

wwaswas

establishment of facts as to what happened

the *facts* are that I saw several other peoples personal details and mine were viewed by other people.

‘outages’ are where systems goes down, not when sessions and baskets are randomly assigned to users who are nothing to do with them.

unklehomered
    Free Member

You’re not from around here are you boy.

That’s not how things happen in these here parts.

andyrm
    Free Member

wwaswas – our definition of ‘outage’ at my work is any systems failure. Please accept my humblest apologies for using a different word to your first choice, but you know what I mean 🙂

joolsburger
    Free Member

I like superstar gear and will continue to buy it despite idiotic threads like this one.

wwaswas

the issue is you still seem to be questioning what the ‘facts’ were when there been a lot of people reporting the same breach of data protection laws across a 5 or 6 hour period.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I think the lynch mob need to settle down now. SS have posted on their FB that they are investigating.

Unlike last night when they said sorry we have gone home and wait till the morning while our website continues shares your details with random strangers.

Websites spewing info out to random people which potentially may have exposed a gaping hole in our security set-up is generally one of those when you sort it out rather than go home.

Tech outages are always going to happen – and given the STW IT worker demographic, I’m sure you all know that.

From a tech/it perspective it’s more of a **** up than an outage.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 168 total)

The topic ‘SUPERSTAR WARNING!!! SUPERSTAR WARNING! PLEASE READ!!!!!!!’ is closed to new replies.