Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Superstar torque wrench – what am I doing wrong?
  • rogp
    Free Member

So I set the dial to 9n/m (as per the instructions for the bolt I was tightening) and ended up rounding the allen bolt. Yes I could have stopped at any point but hindsight is wonderful 🙂

I was expecting the wrench to ‘give’ when I reached the preset value.

Am I missing something obvious?

epicbleedsolutions
    Free Member

I have a different torque wrench to you but mine simply clicks when the desired torque is reached but you can keep pushing if you wish.

Perhaps yours is the same, it kinda ‘gives’ a little when you hit the right amount.

wwaswas

is it a clicky one? Sometimes they don’t give just make a little ‘spoing’ noise when the torque is reached.

Try it on something strudy that’s done up tight already but with a low torque set on the dial so you can see/hear/feel what happens at the point it’s reached.

given it’s a superstar product I’d recopmmend a No 2 Rock for 9Nm

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wrecker
    Free Member

Superstar torque wrench – what am I doing wrong?

Clue.

rogp
    Free Member

So a bad workman can blame his tools?

wrecker
    Free Member

Absolutely

somafunk

The superstar torque wrench is exactly the same design and make as the pedros torque wrench that has a list price of £99, there is a slight click of the handle when the desired torque is reached.

Of course if you are are not of a mechanical persuasion or mindset you can continue to apply force after the wrench “clicks” in the mistaken belief that Yoda will materialise and utter the words “Force, it be strong with this one” before you cease swinging of the end of the wrench, as far i am aware neither the pedros nor the superstar version has this “yoda” upgrade option available so you may have to apply a bit of common sense when using it.

vdubber67
    Free Member

You did make sure you used it with a rock, yes? 😉

sv

Adjustable torque tool with 1/4″ drive and features a click-mechanism to indicate when torque setting is reached.

Mmm…

rogp
    Free Member

@Somafunk – fair point.

IHN

Did you jetwash it?

somafunk

Try setting it to 3nm and apply torque to a crank bolt and you will immediately feel the click through the handle and the wrench will “give” slightly – the superstar torque wrench is very good value for the money and is absolutely identical to many that cost more than twice the price with a fancy “bike branding” specific sticker applied.

rogp
    Free Member

Lessons have been learnt 🙂

walleater

If it’s the same as my BBB one, then the ‘click’ is super-vague, to the point of rendering the torque wrench being pretty useless. It looks the same on google images. Maybe there have been some dodgy batches as other identical ones I’ve used have had a positive click.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Superstar torque wrench – what am I doing wrong?’ is closed to new replies.