• This topic has 21 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by RicB.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Superstar, super performance
  • dropoff

So after buggering up an old set of wheels on the HT last weekend a new set was required for next weekend. Not having alot of cash I went to Superstar and ordered a set first thing Monday morning. I cant believe it but they were waiting for me when I got home today and theyre Fab. So thanks Superstar youve done a great job.

plus-one

Neil ? 😉

sv

Wouldn’t surprise me 😂

tomhoward

How’s the spoke tension?

And for in a few weeks time, how are the bearings?

dropoff

Ok so here’s the tale. We’ve been using g their wheels for a long time now and so far not had any problems. I know people hate superstar but I’ll Only speak as I find.

Sui
    Free Member

I can’t fault supers at either. Got a mega deal on som CK hubs laced to their carbon rims,. The rims were shiiit but they replaced them with some bullet proof dt 571s (I think-same ones that made it down a DH world cup without tyres). Been superb ever since. Spoke tension is tight, like really tight, but they work so I don’t care.. Only problem I have now is all the alu anodised nipples are failing. This after 4 years…

duncancallum

Cant fault them.

Better than the oe snycros shite I had

tjagain

I love sui’s post. Can’t fault them then lists two major faults!

Sui
    Free Member

Tj, the rims were crap, most people knew this at the time but they replaced within 24hrs no quibbles with rims that are bombproof. The rear hub alone rrp was more than the entire set!

I know theyve ha some issues, but generally if your not an arse about things most companies will right their wrongs..

(excpet aquabliss who are an utter shit show)..

Sui
    Free Member

Also is having too tight tension an issue.. It was more an observation..

naffa
    Free Member

I had a set new about 5 years ago. Pedalling around Cannock Chase one day shortly after getting them and the freehub broke. I returned them and it took over 2 weeks for them to be returned to me. A few days later the freehub went again so they were returned to SS for another new freehub.
    Shortly after I sold the bike but about 3 weeks later the new owner had the freehub go on him. He gave up and bought a different brand.
    So there was a continual issue with the freehub and the customer service was frankly diabolical. It kind of put me off them tbh. Theyre trying to be a cheap Hope but theyre just cheap.

endomick
    Free Member

Tight, like really tight, alu nipples failing 🤔, no 💩.

ff29

Never tried their wheels. So cant comment. Big fan of Hunts. Worth waiting for if you can.Super star flats are my favourite pedals though. Way better than a lot of the other overpriced bling available.

jkomo

Eight sets across about 5 bikes. 2 problems both cases warranty was spot on. Road wheels was a problem with a Pacenti road rim which they swapped with Stans. Spoke tension on One mtb wheel I sorted locally. All the wheels bought on sale at less than £200. Current mtb ones, Stans Arch have been fault free for over two years and fifteen or so trips to BPW, and taken a massive beating at the hands of a fat skill-less biffer who likes drops and jumps.

damascus
    Free Member

one day shortly after getting them and the freehub broke

This is why they hare started making their own hubs as they were let down by the hubs they were buying.

JAG

I’ll happily stand up for Superstar Components.

I have a set of Superstar Components road wheels. The pair weigh less than 1500 grams (I weighed them) and cost less than £250. The Pacenti 23 rims failed after three years of riding so I contacted Superstar. They offered to rebuild them onto new rims for free if I bought the rims. I paid £80 for two rims and sent the wheels back to Superstar in the original box. They were rebuilt (straight and true with good spoke tension) and back in my hands within two weeks. They still weighed less than 1500 grams!

I also have some mountain bike wheels (Stans rims with Superstar hubs). They have been faultless. They’re set up tubeless and maintain good spoke tension and the bearings are showing no signs of notchiness or wear.

I’ve also just rebuilt a front wheel (my first go at this!) onto a Superstar hub.

I have faith in Superstar Components and I like the fact that they manufacture in the UK. Cost is good and quality appears at least as good as I expect it to be. Customer service has also been very good thus far.

sv

Have a mate who went through two fuel rear hubs (freehub failed and took out the shell with it – both times) one after the other, gave up returning them as too much hassle.

scruff
    Free Member

Yes the fuel free hubs were useless (novatec I guess), I can’t remember what I ended up doing but superstar were fine about it and I’d use them again if the v6 hubs are lasting well.

ratt1er
    Free Member

I bought a pair of their Arc ultra disc wheels early in the year. They have been superb with great performance and weight for commuting, gravel riding and now cross racing. I could really recommend them and for those that have had bad experiences in the past with their hubs, things have changed. They are now making their own hubs in house on their cnc machine and they are a nice quality product. The price is good (even better if you wait for the specials they regularly have, keep an eye on their facebook page), the quality is good, and the best bit is that they are British made.

sc-xc

Neil ? 😉

He’s always been a Rock. And all those complaining about bad service…it takes two to Tango. im glad they are seeing the Fruits of their labour pay off.

And something about having sex with an octopus.

RicB

He’s always been a Rock. And all those complaining about bad service…it takes two to Tango. im glad they are seeing the Fruits of their labour pay off.

Very good! I wonder how many on here remember the ‘outing’. Someone Googled his profile phone number and linked it all together iirc.

RicB

[sigh] the forum was better in those days too!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Superstar, super performance’ is closed to new replies.