Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Superstar Sentinel tubeless-ready rims
  • Cheezpleez

Anyone got them? At £40 each they’re cheaper than Crests and not much heavier if the quoted 420g for a 29er is accurate

Cheezpleez

So that’s no one then?

warpcow
    Free Member

They’ve been available less than 10 days, so the chances of anyone having anything substantial to say are pretty minimal. I’d assume they’re like anything else Superstar sell: pretty good value for money as long as nothing goes wrong.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    pdr18
    Free Member

I bought a set on there hubs as soon as they came out and have put a bit of mileage on them inc some good downhill. So far so good, they have stayed “tight and true”. I’m trying them tube less now so will see how that goes.

retro83
    Free Member

Did you get a chance to tubeless these yet pdr18? Tyres go up okay?

thorlz
    Free Member

I use them. Maxxis advantage went up no problem ( with a compressor).
    With Nobby nic I had to seat them with a tube first to get the bead in place, then removed and blew up OK. Struggled to seat just with the compressor alone.
    Once seated they sealed great though.

retro83
    Free Member

So the tyre bead stays locked onto the rim with no air like a stans rim?

cheers

dlr

Do they need tape or are they like ust, info doesn’t say unless I’m being blind

retro83
    Free Member

dlr – Member

Do they need tape or are they like ust, info doesn’t say unless I’m being blind

I read somewhere on their site that they need tape, which they also sell.

Now, can anybody confirm this so I can buy some?

retro83 – Member

So the tyre bead stays locked onto the rim with no air like a stans rim?

cheers

🙂

jasonm945
    Free Member

Yes they need tape!

Toasty

Look very similar to Arch Ex, same width, 20g heavier but they do come with eyelets. Very tempted 🙂

Are they annodized or painted? Ie are the coloured ones drastically heavier like Stans.

robbieh
    Free Member

have you tried with ordinary rims? I got my non tubeless rims and tyres to go up ok by using insulation tape and 26 inner tubes cut ghetto style with s/star t/less valves. the tape just made the tyres a tighter fit on the rim to seal initially.

retro83
    Free Member

Well I ended up ordering one of these on their Sentinel hub. Will post a follow up once I’ve got it set up (i’ll be running it tubeless with NN Evo TLRs and stans gubbins).

Came to £125 with DB black spokes, delivery was free.

Build is not the best I’ve ever had, but it will do for now. Will probably need seeing to a year down the line but there is some blurb I’ve not read yet about a ‘lifetime truing service’.

TBH I’ll probably just get it rebuilt at Chelmer Cycles at some point for peace of mind.

The hub looks good, faced disc mounts and blue ano freehub body. Much quieter than a Pro2, but that is no bother to me.

VanHalen

How are they tubeless ready if you need tape just like a normal rim?

retro83
    Free Member

Van Halen – Member

How are they tubeless ready if you need tape just like a normal rim?

Because the tyre bead is supposed to lock onto the rim like a Stans rim, and also you only need tape not a rim strip.

VanHalen

You only need tape on normal rims. And doesn’t the hooky bit of a normal rim lock a tyre on? Pretty sure my tyres don’t fall off.

It’s a bit emperors new clothes I recon.

retro83
    Free Member

Van Halen – Member

You only need tape on normal rims. And doesn’t the hooky bit of a normal rim lock a tyre on? Pretty sure my tyres don’t fall off.

It’s a bit emperors new clothes I recon.

This is a cheaper immitation of the stans notubes system with which you use tape, not UST. You use normal or TLR tyres with this, not the heavy UST ones (although they might work, I don’t know).

The way the tyres fit onto stans rims is much more secure than a normal rim, it makes it much easier to inflate and seems more reliable in use.

VanHalen

They, and other similar systems are still not’ tubeless ready’ tho are they? You still need to tape em same as any rim. The rim well might be shallower to enable easier seating but its not rocket science.

Still it shows the power of marketing has not faded.

a tweaked bead does not a tubless ready rim make.

That said they are cheap so I might get some.

retro83
    Free Member

Van Halen – Member
    They, and other similar systems are still not’ tubeless ready’ tho are they? You still need to tape em same as any rim. The rim well might be shallower to enable easier seating but its not rocket science.

Still it shows the power of marketing has not faded.

a tweaked bead does not a tubless ready rim make.

That said they are cheap so I might get some.

What you are saying makes no sense. If that’s your criterion then you might as well say that normal rims aren’t “tube ready” because you need to use a rim strip.

It’s not marketing, it’s simply much easier to set up with a proper tubeless ready rim, and I know this because I have been trying for the last few weeks to get a XM719 to work with tubeless and it doesn’t work anywhere near as well as with a tubeless ready rim.

pdr18
    Free Member

I went tubless with “normal” Maxxis not LUST and after a little fuss popping them on they’ve been faultless! It’s worth noting that after a while the spokes pulled into the hub a little so needed a quick tightening but have settled in nicely now.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Superstar Sentinel tubeless-ready rims’ is closed to new replies.