Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Superstar pedal axles
  • alisonsmiles
    Free Member

Any thoughts on how to get the axles out? I am replacing bearings. What Mountain bike’s handy instructions say “pull the axle from the pedal body”. As I am not super human and don’t want to damage the axle with grabbing the little sod in a vice, any thoughts? Thank you!

sicklilpuppy
    Free Member

From memory Under the 5/6 mm hex key is a 8mm ish nut. Undo that , and take out the bearing, the axle should slide out from the crank side fairly easily.

alisonsmiles
    Free Member

cap is off, nut is out. Axle is stubborn. Bearings first then. Stupid instructions have it the other way round. I have bee trying with a large Allen key and a hammer to no avail. Swearing has not helped either. Hints for bearing removal? Guess i could insert small screwdriver and basically gauge away at it …

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I did my mag ti yesterday. Put but back in 2.3 turns rest pedal on edge of bench hit nut with appropriate sizes drift

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Then I pull bearings out with a spoke, drift bush out with an m8 Allen bolt. Done

alisonsmiles
    Free Member

Nut has a thread. Doesn’t walloping it strip it? Gulp.

Northwind

Shouldn’t do. It’s not a massive sledgehammer blow, just a sharp tap. I’d be backing off the nut to be pretty flat on the head of the axle, and using a nice wide drift, but that’s probably not essential- just good practice.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Superstar pedal axles’ is closed to new replies.