Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • SuperStar Narrow Wide – For those who can't wait.
  • jtintheuk
    Free Member

legend
    Free Member

The video will no doubt go down well here 😉

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3ftHetdFkE[/video]

If I buy a NW ring though, I reckon it’ll be from him. Is that not cheaper than On-One were quoting?

samjgeorge86
    Free Member

Just ordered a Hope one yesterday. For the money had I seen these (think they have only just gone up for sale today though??) I would have tried one. Not had much luck in the past with any Superstar kit (except pads, pedals are reasonable too), but I can’t seem to stop buying their tack..

ryderredman
    Free Member

Are they allowed to have what I think is footage of a canyon rider riding in that video?

jtintheuk
    Free Member

Is that not cheaper than On-One were quoting?

On One £20 when in stock.

legend
    Free Member

jtintheuk – Member

On One £20 when in stock.

pfft sweat-shop junk

😉

DT78
    Free Member

tempting – anyone tried a narrow / wide on a 9 speed drive (without clutch?)

3 dropped chains today

steezysix
    Free Member

Er, you might want to edit the link, OP – I clicked on it was able to look at all your account details, shopping basket, etc.
    Lucky I’m not a criminal mastermind…

bikeneil
    Free Member

For some reason when I clicked on the link in the first post I’m automatically logged in as someone and I can view his basket and all previous transactions. Not sure I should be able to do that?

Andy

Yup same here. Tried logging him out and closing browser but can still re-access account through that link. Reported to mods to remove the link

honourablegeorge

Me too.

Mods – delete the link.

That’s me done with Superstar, if that’s how secure their site is. (Well, that and their brake pads)

Drac

Thanks to those who reported the thread by using the report button or we’d not spotted the issue.

It’s a very worrying thing that you can access someone else’s account just by clicking a link.

Northwind

Has that not happened before with Superstar?

jtintheuk
    Free Member

Blimey, thank you for spotting that. Have now changed my password details for superstar. Deffo give them a phone call tomorrow and try and find out why this happened!!

bikeneil
    Free Member

Yes it has. I tried logging him out too but could still see his account. I won’t be using them at all.

bigjim

loved the bit about good support in that video 😆

and yeah that has happened before with accessing people’s details.

Drac

Has that not happened before with Superstar?

Certainly has.

Yetiman
    Free Member

DT78 – I’m running a 30t Race Face NW ring on my 1×9 hard tail, with a 34t XT cassette and a Saint mech…..no dropped chains yet in 4 weeks of use. I’m running the chain quite tight, and the Saint mech has a fairly stiff spring which helps.

p7rich
    Free Member

9sp + NW ring here too. Hope Retainer 32T, 11-32 cassette and XT Shadow (non clutch) mech. One drop in 140 miles, and that was in a relatively innocuous situation. Stayed put in much worse. Chain pretty tight too, but still some spring left in mech when on biggest cog.

Grupper205
    Free Member

I’m considering one of these new superstar narrow wide rings, but I currently run a double up front. I know I should MTFU and I intend to try and run a single ring up front, but just in case I decide to go back to a double does anyone have experience of using a front mech with a narrow wide front ring? I’m guessing that shifting between granny and one these rings may be an issue.

I need a new front ring anyway so not sure whether to try one of these…….

ads678

I’ve got a 34t race face narrow wide with a 9 speed deore mech and deore 11/36 cassette on the HT. Not ridden to hard but not dropped a chain since I put it on about six weeks ago.

jam-bo

I’m considering one of these new superstar narrow wide rings, but I currently run a double up front. I know I should MTFU and I intend to try and run a single ring up front, but just in case I decide to go back to a double does anyone have experience of using a front mech with a narrow wide front ring? I’m guessing that shifting between granny and one these rings may be an issue.

It won’t shift. That’s the point.

Frankers
    Free Member

Fair play to them for borrowing a load of cash to buy the machines

Would be a good company if not for previous misdemeanours

Northwind

You can’t use them with a double. Or rather, you probably can but it’ll be awful at best. Buuut, if you run them without a chain device, you can fit a granny ring and have it there as a “manual shift”- ie you get off and move the chain by hand. Purely an emergency option obviously

nickdavies

Might get bad press on here, but they’re obviously doing something right, book value from nothing to a million quid in 6 years and 200k to a million quid in the last 2 of those.

He’s pumping money into CNC kit, which can only be a good thing if it brings manufacturing back into the UK. Fair play to him.

Northwind

nickdavies – Member

He’s pumping money into CNC kit, which can only be a good thing if it brings manufacturing back into the UK. Fair play to him.

Though, in this case he’s mostly competing with Hope and Works Components who both make almost all their stuff in the UK 😆

cookeaa

Tempted by the 32t SS but may hold on for OOs £20, 30t option if it might arrive any time soon…

It is good IMO that cheaper NW rings are appearing and making 1xN a more viable option.

mattrgee
    Free Member

Neil! It’s only bloody Neil!

rOcKeTdOg

DT78 – Member
    tempting – anyone tried a narrow / wide on a 9 speed drive (without clutch?)
    3 dropped chains today

Yep, hope ring, standard xt rear mech, v worn chain, no drops in the last 400 miles & I’ve deliberately tried to!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Much as I admire your sentiment.

The “R&D” work on N-W rings was done by SRAM (not in the UK)
    A CNC macine needs very little opperator input, that’s what they’re there for.
    All he’s done is copy an idea and have a CAD/CNC file developed for it.

The machines, the alumnium and the CNC file may have been made in the UK, but equaly maybe (probably?) not.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Anyway, when someone gets the 50 rings I ordered on their account can you send them on 😉

D0NK

I’m considering one of these new superstar narrow wide rings, but I currently run a double up front.

erm…. if it tries to shift up with the wide part of chain on a narrow tooth, the next narrow link is going to jump, jam or break when it tries to go on a wide tooth isn’t it?

gazc
    Free Member

A CNC macine needs very little opperator input, that’s what they’re there for.
    All he’s done is copy an idea and have a CAD/CNC file developed for it.

does this apply to hope/works components too?

seems to be developing into the usual superstar slagging thread. yawn

jam-bo

is there a patent?

andyrm
    Free Member

does this apply to hope/works components too?

seems to be developing into the usual superstar slagging thread. yawn

^^This. It only seems on STW that there is so much venom towards SS. Was before my time but from what I can see is summarised as follows:

“Young lad launches a company out of uni. Makes a few mistakes as young lads do in the way he handles things in the early days. Bunch of miserable old geezers on one website hold grudge forever.”

Cheer up. Move on. It’s old news and Superstar are obviously doing something very right to have expanded and reinvested to the capacity they have.

And no before the tin foil hat brigade get on it, I am not Neil, nor do I work for or have any other association with them other than using their parts and having ridden with Neil (and a few of the toolsetting company who helped set up his machine centres) at FOD a couple of times.

packer
    Free Member

Interesting video… Wow he has spent A LOT of money on machinery. He must have a fairly serious investor on board. Gonna need to shift a heck of a lot of product over the next few years to make that pay off…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

nearly a patent, they have started to license the design. It does sound like it could be patentable as it’s a fairly different approach.

packer
    Free Member

I thought I read somewhere that the narrow wide idea was an old one? Previously used by motorbikes many years ago I think. If so surely not patentable by SRAM.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

SRAM has filed numerous patent applications on narrow-wide / thick-thin tooth geometry.

Not sure how far they have got.
    http://singletrackworld.com/2014/01/sram-to-begin-licensing-narrowwide-chainrings/

“Over the last two years SRAM has filed many patent applications on narrow-wide / thick-thin tooth geometry. Our engineers invented narrow-wide / thick-thin chain retention and we continue to improve on it. As soon as our patent applications are granted we plan to enforce them.”

SRAM official statement

SRAM takes a stand on narrow/wide chainrings

nemesis
    Free Member

Don’t forget that patents aren’t global. In the US you can patent all sorts of silly things that you shouldn’t be able to – eg Horst Link designs – that existed already by maybe weren’t quite worded in the same way or exactly the same application.

As such, unless for example SSC sell to the US, they’re unlikely to have any problems selling NW chainrings.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘SuperStar Narrow Wide – For those who can't wait.’ is closed to new replies.