Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Superstar Nanos, anything better for the money?
  • _tom_
    Free Member

Before I go ahead and buy some SS Nano pedals is there anything better value? I’ve been using the same set of Wellgo V8 copies for years but they make my bike sound like a bag of nails and I fancy some fresh bling 🙂 I like the V8 feel but it could maybe do with being a bit bigger.

Bit worried about the flatness of the Nanos though, I tried a bike with the nukeproof plastic version and the lump in the middle felt a bit weird having always used concave pedals like the V8s but is it just a case of getting used to it?

I think it may be between these and the Wellgo MG1s, what say you STW?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

the lump over the axle isnt as bad as I thought, Im used to the Easton flatboy which is very concave (and heavy and eats shoes).

HT Industries, Carboncycles and Kona Wah Wah all he same pedal and possibly cheaper.

Much better than the MG1 which Ive also owned.

Northwind

The metal Nanos don’t have the lump like the plastic nanos so no worries there- they’re flat but they don’t do anything weird. (I really couldn’t get on with the plastic ones but I’ve many happy miles on assorted Nanos)

MG1 is lighter, when comparing price by price but fatter and smaller, and a wee bit less tough. So just depends what you’re after really, both great options.

(the magnesium bodied nanos drop pins like nothing else, a combination of soft metal, and not much of it- quite a few of mine are chemical metalled in now. but that’s not a massive issue)

NormalMan

I’ve been an MG1 fan for years but felt like a change on my new bike so went for Nukeproof Electrons. 3 rides in and I’m getting on really well them. But if they don’t suit you then I’d go MG1.

FWIW I did try wah wah’s too but didn’t get on with them so my son now has those.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I’ve just today ordered the carbon cycle alloy pedals. Cost £34 and seem very similar to the nano pedals.

northernmatt

Shimano Saint pedals are about £45. Bit more but very good.

Northwind

Exact same in fact, there’s a couple of different models of Nano but they’re all HT ANs of some description, so if they look the same, they are. AN06 is the pick of the bunch IMO, lighter for no real drawback.

nwill1
    Free Member

I’ve been on wellgo mags for some time, tried the Nano’s, I found them too big and too flat, I do have small feet mind (size 9).

The mags fit like a comfy old boot. However if I’d had larger feet they may have appealed more. Look great too.

andeh

I used to run V8s, bought some nanos, wouldn’t go back. The small body of the DMRs used to slap my feet and cause rally bad hot spots on long descents. The nanos are really good, great size platform, plenty grippy, nice and thin, and cheap to boot. I doubt I’d bother with any others now. They do drop pins, but I got 200 for 2 quid from a local bolt merchant 😀

I_Ache
    Free Member

I was going to suggest saints. I had some delivered today and they are lovely, polished metal on the contact areas so they won’t look scruffy after two rides. My first ride on them will be tomorrow so will know how they compare to my old straitlines.

edward2000
    Free Member

The carbon cycles and the ss nanos are identical, I have a pair of both.

andyl
    Free Member

SS have some new flats coming out later in the year which look pretty nice.

If i didn’t ride spds I’d probably go for them or the nano style over the MG1s I used to use. The MG1s were great when they first came out compared to V8s and V12s but there are better pedals now.

It is ultimately down to personal taste though.

robhughes
    Free Member

Link to those please andy…..Cheers..

_tom_
    Free Member

Cheers I may go for those Saints, they look awesome!

badbob
    Free Member

Saints! look nice ( if that matters?) and very well built!

widge34
    Free Member

I’ve been using the Saints for 9 months now. They are great, had nanos before. Bent spindle on Nanos after a pedal strike on a rock.

nickjb
    Free Member

How thin are the saints compared to nanos?

I_Ache
    Free Member

The saints are 19mm at the thickest point, the ends. And 11mm at the thinnest, the middle. The platform is 95mm wide and 88mm long. They sit at the widest point 121mm from the crank.

They are a lovely thing to hold. And feel much higher quality than my straitlines with an RRP of half what the straitlines are.

_tom_
    Free Member

Well that’s it, I’m ordering some Saints 🙂

guitarhero
    Free Member

I found the saints had too small a platform.
    I would recommend DMR Vaults if you can afford them, or the Carbon Cycles “nano” if you can’t.

Scamper
    Free Member

Finding the Nano’s very nice but go a bit wonky after 6 months, and the bushing/bearing kit is circa £16. Can’t work out how to drift the bushing out (superstar sent instructions for replacing bearings but would not elaborate past “a special tool” for the bushing)and by the time LBS has done it, you may as well get a new set. Are the Saints a little more user friendly?

warpcow
    Free Member

Have the Saints not inherited the snapped-axle syndrome that new XTR has? There are a couple of local riders who’ve been through several pairs (under warranty) due to axles snapping and bearings disintegrating.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I would expect the Saints to have a slightly stronger axle than the XTR. Is the XTR axle aluminium, I guess it would be to save weight? The Saint is Cro-Mo and as with most shimano pedals I would expect the bearings to last years.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I can’t really fault my Nano’s – 18 months in and they’re still spinning smoothly and have all of their pins which is a first for me. I like the fairly large size and narrow depth (especially having a bike with a low BB).

The Saints seem popular though and the if the bearings are anything like the old DX flats, they’ll last forever. And then some.

I’m too tight for posh pedals because I bash mine on rocks etc so can live with replacing forty quid pedals every now and then.

greeble
    Free Member

how about the wellgo B181 pedal or the wellgo B035

collinstiffee
    Free Member

Wellgo B54s. grippy and will take a beating.
    Think they are in the sale on CRC if you can use the new site…

_tom_
    Free Member

Crc site works fine for me and thats where I ordered my saints from. Have to wonder wtf people are doing wrong if they cant use the new site! 😆

Might get a set of nanos for my hardtail as they’ll match the red ss headset.

collinstiffee
    Free Member

It shows up really badly on the browser I am compleled to use at work.
    Contrast on text over images is bad and for some reason I can’t see prices. What people are doing is trying to use a non backward compatible site on machines they cannot update software on…
    I acknowledge that most people have up to date software at home, but most don’t have admin rights on work machines

mindmap3
    Free Member

I don’t like the new website – it works OK on my iPad, I just don’t like it (I liked the old list that had all of the colour / size options with stock and prices). I don’t think its as easy to find stuff as it was and its really poor on our work computers. Their service seems to have picked up – my narrow wide ring arrived in super quick time.

Now back on topic – the range of colours for the Nano is a big plus for me because the BFe got orange ones to match the grips and X0 rear mech…but I’m sad like that. They’re destroyed the sole on my 5 10’s.

richmtb

I’m using the Carbon Cycles version of the Nanos.

I’ve been experimenting with riding flats rather than spuds so didn’t want to spend too much. For £34 I’m very pleased. Identical to the Superstar pedals £10 cheaper and subtler graphics too.

prawny

Turns out I’ve bent my left nano axle. Bit of a bummer, only noticed it after I’d been out on my HT then got straight on my full sus. They’re great pedals other than that. Anything a similar shape/price but a bit tougher?

Blower
    Free Member

Vaults = overpriced bendy metal

_tom_
    Free Member

I would never pay the rrp of Vaults for a set of pedals, complete rip off. Shame as DMR stuff is usually pretty good and not stupidly priced.

_tom_
    Free Member

The Saints arrived today, they look very nice and I’m not looking forward to getting them all scratched up! Much lighter than my wellgos as well.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I took mine out on Tuesday for their first ride and they are bloody grippy. I did however manage to scratch and dent one of them. I landed one of the step down jumps on lower cliff around the monkey trail on the right pedal on a rock. It was a pretty heavy landing but the only damage was a small dent on a corner.

Much nicer than my straitlines.

coastkid
    Free Member

Had Nano`s and they are good, but when the bearings go and you relised they are shot the damage is done to the axles/ pedal bodys…

So i now buy plastic pedals that use the same axle for half the price; platform Slim Jim flats om eBay at £20 delivered free P&P 😉 when they are shot, bin and replace…

andyl
    Free Member

FAO Rob:

wrecker
    Free Member

I really love my podiums, but when they die I certainly won’t be paying £130 for another pair. Those saints look good value, I’m not interested in anything superstar containing bearings though.

_tom_
    Free Member

^no problems with my headset and hubs so far..

wrecker
    Free Member

What about now?
    Now?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Superstar Nanos, anything better for the money?’ is closed to new replies.