Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Superstar modular stainless Chain rings
  • Goldigger
    Free Member

Just got an email with superstar new modular stainless chainrings..
    I’d prefer the entire thing to be alloy one piece, but stainless will appeal for longevity for some.
    20% off ILOVEUKMADE

https://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/edge-stainless-steel-modular-chainrings.htm?utm_source=Superstar+Components+Newsletter&utm_campaign=911d5b50d4-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_10_08&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_b3cf3cb5e3-911d5b50d4-16737873&mc_cid=911d5b50d4&mc_eid=faa5eda6a1

chakaping
    Free Member

Saw these, about the same price as a SLX chainset (but there will be discounts of course).

I get why direct mount is a good idea for running smaller chainrings, but re-introducing a spider does beg the question why not just have a smaller spider in the first **** place?

Goldigger
    Free Member

Should of added to my OP superstar don’t do an e13 direct Mount chainring. If they did would be cheaper than an e13 alloy one at £47 (only 28th for fatbike!)
    Now that they have the e13 direct Mount spider, there’s really no excuse to not offer a direct Mount chainring!

finbar
    Free Member

I’d prefer the entire thing to be alloy one piece

Unless I’m missing something, wouldn’t that be the same as all the alloy one-piece chainrings they make already…?

Goldigger
    Free Member

Unless I’m missing something, wouldn’t that be the same as all the alloy one-piece chainrings they make already…?

Yes my post just above yours 😁

teamslug
    Free Member

Good idea, very similar to One Up cinch system but no 28 tooth option with superstar one so i’m out

chakaping
    Free Member

Are they not even going down to 28t on this?

FFS talk about missing the point.

finbar
    Free Member

Yes my post just above yours 😁

Jinx 😀 !

alpin
    Free Member

28t…? At what point do you seriously need a 28t chainring? Serious question, mind….

Would have been interested in this if it came out a few months back (someone’s going to tell me now that it has been put for ages). Scaled down to a 32t from a 34t. Found with a 34 there were a few long, steep sections where I was having to stand and pedal.

Changing the rings on Race Face cinch isn’t too hard, but it’s hardly convenient.

Like the fact the rings are steel, too.

chakaping
    Free Member

28t…? At what point do you seriously need a 28t chainring? Serious question, mind….

Riding a heavy 29er enduro bike in big hills when you can’t afford / don’t want Eagle 12sp.

I can still get round OK with 30t x 10t lowest gear, but on big rides it’s preferable not to burn your legs out pushing a slow cadence.

dovebiker

<span style=”color: #444444; font-size: 12px; background-color: #eeeeee;”>28t…? At what point do you seriously need a 28t chainring? Serious question, mind…</span>

Riding a fatbike in soft snow…pushing a big gear can cause the rear wheel to break-out, spin forcing you to climb off and push.

alpin
    Free Member

Ahhh…. I see. Its for clown bikes… 😉

I thought riding a bigger wheel essentially gave you an easier gear than the same ratio with a smaller wheel…. Or is it the other way round?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Really like this idea, especially as they do an oval cinch version. I’d love it if the graphics were more understated though.

Northwind

I like this but they do need to get the smaller sizes out, really hard to believe there’s more demand for 36T than there is for 30T oval or 28T. Especially in a product like this. But then that’d need a small spider and that’ll mean more steel in the ring for bigger sizes.

“alpin: I thought riding a bigger wheel essentially gave you an easier gear than the same ratio with a smaller wheel…. Or is it the other way round? ”

Other way round. I have a 28 or maybe even a 26 on my fatbike, can’t remember now.

mark90
    Free Member

Would make quick chainring swaps on a cinch crankset a………erm…………….cinch 🙂

nairnster
    Free Member

I don’t see how it would be any quicker than changing the whole ring on a cinch system.

Several small bolts to undo instead of just the cinch ring or whatever it’s called.

Also £80 initially and then still 40 for every ring size.

I don’t believe people change cranks that often to warrant something like this (i.e. don’t need to keep changing the spider often) and are cinch rings not about 40 quid anyway.

philxx1975
    Free Member

Steel takes longer to wear though.

Superficial
    Free Member

Given that you can buy 2-3 ‘normal’ chainrings from Superstar for the cost of one of these stainless setups im not seeing the point. Are people really doing enough miles to go through multiple chainrings??

There’s a weight penalty, too. It’s a nice idea, but I don’t see the point unless they get closer in price to a standard setup.

cookeaa

Sort of come full circle again haven’t we…

Essentially the  95 BCD five arm cranks we had back in the early 90s were Bob on to begin with…

Northwind

“nairnster

I don’t see how it would be any quicker than changing the whole ring on a cinch system.

Several small bolts to undo instead of just the cinch ring or whatever it’s called.”

You’ve got to take the crank off to change a cinch ring. Not that any of this is a real advantage or disadvantage tbh but it’s definitely going to be faster. The point of the spider isn’t reuse, it’s just to have less steel in it, the rest’s just spin.

Me, unless the prices crash and the parts availability changes I’ll be staying with alu but I think it’s a good intervention. SRAM and Raceface already do all-steel steel rings which makes a lot of sense but it’s about 100g heavier than an alu one and that’ll kill some people. Also you can only buy the RF one from bloody Activesport and I’d rather perform DIY dental surgery.

(it’s not just about outright lifespan; steel will keep the profiles nicer meaning better retention for longer. Same as my old deore steel rings used to shift a little bit less well than XT on day one, but by about day 50 they were still pristine while XT had lost its edge)

nairnster
    Free Member

Ok understand the longevity benefits of steel.

The whole system just seems a bit like a solution to a problem that very few people have.

How many of us change cranks often enough to need the different spiders?

How many change chainring size often enough that taking the crank off is a headache from having to do it so often?

philxx1975
    Free Member

Surely superstar are innovators .

vincienup
    Free Member

I’d agree this sounds like a solution looking for a problem and not quite finding it.  ‘Halloween In January’ if you like… 😜

Steel toothy bit, fine – speed / convenience – less convinced. Most people are going to change a chainring when it’s knackered at which point they’ll be doing a cassette and chain too in all likelihood and maybe more.  The market for people swapping rings for venues has to be very small indeed.  Not completely convinced by a weight argument either, by the time you’ve engineered in the necessary interface and bolt arrangement and made it strong enough you’ve surely blown a good chunk of the advantage of alu over steel weight wise.  Essentially they’ve reinvented the spider and anodised it.

warpcow
    Free Member

Essentially they’ve reinvented the spider and anodised it

I knew the MTB CD chainset on my commuter would come back into fashion.

Northwind

“The whole system just seems a bit like a solution to a problem that very few people have.

How many of us change cranks often enough to need the different spiders?”

You can pretty much forget all this fluff, it’s all just “steel chainring for wear, alu spider for light”, which is good enough I reckon. The other things could be benificial but pretty much nobody will buy it for that.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Will this wear out chains faster?

Bez

an easier gear than the same ratio

Um

crankrider
    Free Member

Pretty much identical to the Wolf Tooth one really which has been out for well over a year now…

Looks nice, not for me though, I get a year (so do most I ride with) from a standard alloy ring and at SS discount / Works pricing of £20-£25 it’s a hell of a lot more expensive.

Seems like a fair bit of effort to take things back in time for minimal gain / to solve an invented problem – I’m sure high milers may approve though, but how many people really get through rings (I’m jealous if you do get out enough)

Goldigger
    Free Member

superstar are only offering the edge system for e13..no direct Mount chainrings.
    Personally I’d say they would sell more direct Mount chainrings than the edge system. How many bikes come fitted with e13 cranks, Canyon, YT…?

Hello Goldigger

We are sorry to say that we will not be offer e13 chainrings, only the edge system.

Yours

David

Superstar Customer Service

crankrider
    Free Member

At least the reply was polite, they should let David deal with their FB replies too.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Superstar modular stainless Chain rings’ is closed to new replies.