Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Superstar isotope wheels
  • the_chosen_llama
    Free Member

I am looking for some relatively strong boost wide wheels.
    Has anyone used these:

https://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/isotope-v6-wheelset-uk-made-hubs.htm

Thanks
    Paul

vmgscot

I’m running a pair (29r) on my On One Big Dog build but have only put in half-dozen rides thus far. They seem fine for now and no loosening of spokes, etc. They actually look finished really well but I’m no expert. Went up tubeless real easy (ChunkyMonkey and an Aggressor) using Gorrila tape..

Only small issue is with the front V6 15mm hub – the end caps move slightly (they do not fall off) so it needs a little care when installing wheel in the fork.

jimdubleyou

They look remarkably similar to the on-one trail wide wheels that came with my big dog.

Only small issue is with the front V6 15mm hub – the end caps move slightly (they do not fall off) so it needs a little care when installing wheel in the fork.

Mine where a real pita to get in, not helped by the torque cap compatible fork. If your fork takes em, I recommend the torque cap upgrade, just for ease of wheel removal over any extra stiffness that might be there…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    vmgscot

@jimdubleyou I thought the On One’s were built by Superstar but using the V3 hubs instead of V6. The end cap issue is not such a big thing to me as I don’t remove the wheels much but I can imagine it would be a pain if you transported the bike in a car and had to take the front wheel off every ride.

jimdubleyou

I thought the On One’s were built by Superstar but using the V3 hubs instead of V6.

That is entirely possible. I haven’t taken it apart yet to have a fettle around.

the_chosen_llama
    Free Member

Thanks all, I think I’m going to go for something stronger. Less trail more ‘enduro’ orientated.

superstarcomponents
    Free Member

The isotope rims are hardly flimsy, i can laser ENDURO on them if it makes you feel better! Unless you like crashing into rocks with flat tyres you will be just fine even for DH use.

and the loose endcaps comments which are being recycled endlessly, we changed the spec about 18 months ago…. and now people complain they are too tight.

any questions please fire them over

Neil Superstar.

the_chosen_llama
    Free Member

thanks For the response!
    You’ve won me over, I will get some ordered this month!

jimdubleyou

and the loose endcaps comments which are being recycled endlessly, we changed the spec about 18 months ago…. and now people complain they are too tight.

Did you just punt all the old stock over to on-one then?

the_chosen_llama
    Free Member

@superstarcomponents

https://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/dhx-v6-wheelset-uk-made-hubs.htm

Are these wheels much heavier? Any disadvantages over the others? It’s for a stumpjumper but I live in the alpes and use the bike in bike parks.

guandax
    Free Member

My isotopes have been great. They’ve seen 3 rides a week for 3 months and absolutely no issues. They also did the reds at BPW (they’re on a Hello Dave hardtail). Used a spoke tension checker on them recently and all good. I bought torque caps for them.

superstarcomponents
    Free Member

DHX are ultra chunky bombproof DH rims. They will be left with cockroaches in a nuclear winter from experience. Not light mind!

Neil SuperstarComponents

vmgscot

@superstarcomponents my v6/isotopes were supplied in December, does that mean I got old hubs from 18 months ago?

The end caps on the boost 15mm front don’t fall off, they just rattle a few mm when you move the hub, enough to stop them being installed in the fork. Is that the same problem you had originally as I wasn’t aware of previous issues

the_chosen_llama
    Free Member

Sweet, strong sounds good. But an extra 100g? 454g?

vmgscot

Minor update – received replacement end caps from Superstar for the wheels I bought a few weeks ago and they no longer ‘wobble’ out of place.

cakeandcheese

I’ve nothing but good to say about v6 hubs. I took a chance on one last year, and have liked it so bought another pair of wheels on v6s.

Recent 50% offer also helped! The mavic 1030 rims are also lovely.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Superstar isotope wheels’ is closed to new replies.