Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Superstar Components…
  • Smee
    Free Member

… has everyone stopped buying their stuff or has there simply been no cause for complaint lately?

If folk have stopped buying from SSC, which supplier if flavour of the month now?

rj
    Free Member

Hello Smee. I’ve recently got the sintered pads for my Formulas and they’ve been somewhat better than fine.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Smee, are you looking to buy something specific or just want some random infighting and ranting complaints like a stuck record 😉

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

infighting, nous ?

atlaz
    Free Member

I gather when octopi meet, they sometimes fight. Usually with rocks.

IGMC

Stoner
    Free Member

I thought when octopi met they made sweet, sweet lurve?

Moda
    Free Member

My Pure racing I900 adjustable seatpost has only lasted a few months – is that enough 😀

Smee
    Free Member

I was getting withdrawl symptoms – haven’t seen a SSC bitchin thread for ages.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

I’ve resisted posting about my bottom bracket before now, but it lasted 2 rides. I got what appears to be the usual shirty response, accused of being incompetent in the bike mechanic department (which may or may not be the case 😐 ) and have put it down to experience. Never again…

I feel a bit better about things now I’ve got that off my chest.

<and relax>

nickc

I bought some brake pads. they work OK.

Sorry.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

bought a front hub with 10mm and 20mm adapters.

No complaints from me! its been abused good and proper too.

Even if it packed up tomorrow it would still be worth the 20.00 I paid.

happy bunny 😀

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

Smee being his normal knobbing self? QUELLE SURPRISE!!!

Stoner
    Free Member

ive had my problems with some components, but just rebuilt my SSC hubs up and theyre good. The pickup on the rear is fantastic on a singlespeed, its like riding a fixed but without the death.

Smee
    Free Member

mundiemiester – i once got banned for less than that.

do you have a sense of humour failure?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Stoner, is that the superleggera rear hub? sounds wicked.

Do you reckon it would suit a fat git on a full sus bike in the alps? (me)

fbk
    Free Member

Ahh, the old forum truly has returned.

miketually
    Free Member

That needs to be made into a T-shirt:

“Singlespeed: its like riding a fixed but without the death”

🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

luke, yeah thats it – Im 14st and was last seen honking SS up malvern on it (until my lungs exploded anyway) . The freehub ratchet is a good design, the only way you break it is by the hub shell exploding (mind you, Ive seen hope hubs lately…)

Pickup is really quick. I had to send it back initially because one of the bearings was notchy and I got the usual sub-par customer service and patronising bolocks. But as a bit of kit from a taiwanese factory it seems fine.

Stoner
    Free Member

BTW luke – its a superlight hub – I have no idea how well the flanges will put up with alpine spokes pulling the crap out of them. Maybe asking a bit of such a light bit of Al.

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

No Mr Glupton if you have a genuine issue no problem, if you are starting a post for the pure and simple reason of stirring and nothing else open the front door and get a bus to The Gorgie and see if you can find someone to put on their back!!!!

nukeproof
    Free Member

Why bother risking buying SSC? There’s equally/almost as cheap but more proven/reliable alternatives out there for the components they flog. Its not like the reviews are consistently coming in recommending them.

cannondaleking
    Free Member

i got two of there seat posts one for my genesis comfy all day bike and one for my giant bowery not bad for the £25 each half price sale im 11 stone and bounce along on them and no signs of damage yet (fingers crossed) also ordered a pair of there carbon forks yesterday l let ya know if i kill them quick or not 😆

cannondaleking
    Free Member

some parts are good from them others are lesser in quality you just have to sift though the crap to pick out the better bits bb’s are a no no but hubs seem ok built a set up for a customer last september for his xc/play bike with some 717 rims his wheels are still true (thats my doing) and the hubs are still turning nice and the old boys out every other day now as he’s retired (still a fast hard rider mind)

hora
    Free Member

Running SS pads front and back in my Saints- no problem. If there was, you know me I’d bleat like you lot none stop about it 😆 8)

Daffy

I’ve had 3 out of 8 pads seperate from their backing plates, but hey ho.

rolfharris
    Free Member

Stopped buying from them. Absolutely awful products backed up by rude and patronising customer service. Singlehandedly ruined my confidence in small component manufacturers- from now on I’ll only buy Shimano, Race Face and Mavic.

wildrnes
    Free Member

this is all a bit tedious isn’t it

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I bought some Ti bolts from their Ti bolts website.

Awful quality, never again.

Refund was prompt though.

Daffy

T’is a bit tedious, but someone asked.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

SSC ate my hamster.

sodafarls
    Free Member

SSC sold me a shite bb, but gave me my money back. I don’t know whether to laugh or cry.

stuartkendall
    Free Member

My superleggera rear hub last a month before it stopped engaging in vital moments. Had a few bad falls because of it. Was my fault apparently for not ‘servicing’ it. 5 rides and a service thats not the sort of hub I want to use in this country!

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

I bought some pads a while back and just fitted them and rode – they lasted three rides. I’ve recently bought some and this time followed the advice on the back of the pack to properly bed them in – so far so good.

Stoner
    Free Member

stuartkendall – Member

My superleggera rear hub last a month before it stopped engaging in vital moments.
    that doesnt sound fantastic. Stuart, did the freehub slip under load or just not engage when you started applying load? The mechanism is a bit of a funny one requiring a small amount of friction to get the wedges to engage initially…not sur eth ebest set up to assist it though.

emac65
    Free Member

I’ve resisted posting about my bottom bracket before now, but it lasted 2 rides. I got what appears to be the usual shirty response, accused of being incompetent in the bike mechanic department (which may or may not be the case ) and have put it down to experience. Never again…

I feel a bit better about things now I’ve got that off my chest.

<and relax>

This months MBUK have a group test on external BB’s,guess which one only lasted a day 😯

Stoner
    Free Member

ooooh,, that’s bad PR. Shame. 🙂

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I’ve never bought anything from SSC, and based purely on what I’ve read on on STW, I don’t intend to. Seems many people have had negative experiences with some of their products, and the overall impression seems to be that they’re cheap, and not all that good. I don’t know whether it’s down to mass-hysteria, or simply an accurate reaction to the reality of SSC stuff, but there seems to have been a disproportionate amount of negative reviews/comments on it. This leaves me thinking ‘well, quite a lot of people have had problems with their stuff, maybe best to buy elsewhere’. I have seen a SSC BB that’s failed after a very short time, too.

I have also heard one or two positive things about their products, for a bit of balance.

But what really put me off, was people’s experience of the SSC ‘Customer Service’, which seemed to be very patronising, and sometimes, even rude. Plus, Neil Fruit really din’t help their case, by using this forum to publicly slag off customers who had legitimate grievances. Really not a wise move, in my book. ‘Don’t bite the hand that feeds you’, is a phrase that springs to mind. I can sympathise somewhat, with SSC, as they were getting shredded on here, and had every right to answer back, but then Neil Fruit went a bit far, and was quite unprofessional.

I admire anyone who tries to make a living out of a field of activity they enjoy; beats working for ‘the Man’, surely! But it’s a nasty, cut-thoat dog-eat dog world out there, and you need to play the game, to survive. And in a field where your reputation is everything, then it’s not a good idea to damage that by selling poor-quality goods, and then insulting your customers.

I have no personal issue one way or another, with SSC. But I have little confidence in their ability to supply me with decent, reliable components, so I won’t be buying from them, for the forseeable, anyway.

SSC need to learn from their mistakes, and become better, if they are to survive.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

This months MBUK have a group test on external BB’s,guess which one only lasted a day

Chris King? 😉

Offroading
    Free Member

Theres a review on bike radar too – it only lasted a few rides before creaking…

twang
    Free Member

I had some nanno flats off of em last year.. surprise of suprises, they’re superb! Given em some proper mucky abuse, still solid, no play, nothing..recomended

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Superstar Components…’ is closed to new replies.