Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Superstar Components HELP!?!
  • dan1980
    Free Member

Got them tensioned at local bike shop where the guy said he thought the builder had made a few key errors and they where not the best. Rode again…..15 mins later did exactly the same thing,

This bit I don’t get.

You got a job done by your LBS, which failed, and you took umbrage with the original supplier of the kit?

When my girlfriend burnt the dinner, I didn’t go and strop at Tesco.

Whilst I’m not saying that Superstar are behaving brilliantly, your first point of call following the 2nd failure should have been back to the LBS to ask why they’d done such a p*ss poor job.

Wheels (ignoring the hub) are pretty simple things, a rim, some nipples and some spokes. I’d accept that a poorly built factory wheel, built by a machine may get overlooked in QA and leave the factory in a dodgy state. Having someone work over the wheel by hand should have resulted in a decent job.

hora
    Free Member

Regardless of the issue with SS. OP find a more capable bikeshop.

Its not rocket science to even re unwind/rebuild. Why off the bike for weeks? Wtf. Get someone to correct/move on.

retro83
    Free Member

Did you pay on credit card? Maybe you can sort it out via the CC company if SS won’t refund it.

As for the wheel builds, I’ve moaned on here before, but on mine I had to T&T them before I even took them out for a ride. They had virtually no tension on the spokes at all. I now keep a spoke key in my bag just in case 😯

_tom_
    Free Member

Conversely my wheels are fine so far despite a few rear wheel cases at the jumps yesterday!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

To fair to Phil Corleys they happily rebuild by badly built Dave Hinde wheels. The were fine after that

That’s because Corleys is a good shop.

phatstanley
    Free Member

Sounds like their builder is greasing the spoke threads to make them easier to turn.. a short sighted thing to do at best This would make them unwind again even if they were retensioned.

ummmm…that’s fairly standard practice, isn’t it?
    i grease the threads AND the inside of the eyelets. not doing this makes the process of tensioning very difficult, if not downright impossible, due to the forces/friction involved.
    i ain’t no pro wheelbuilder….but mine never come loose, but i only use rims with eyelets, so maybe none of what i jes said is worth a goodgawdang. 😯

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I oil mine with a heavy teflon lube while building, as the mechanic (and locally renowned wheelbuilder) that taught me did.

Grease may be a little overkill though.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

How on earth did I DP that?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

My SJS build wheels appear to be greased with used chip fat or linseed oil or some other sticky stuff. Can’t remember what i used for my Hope/321D build, whatever Musson suggested I guess.

phatstanley
    Free Member

yeah…i guess i’m using “grease” interchangeably with “lube”. i use the green finish line lube.
    further evidence to ignore all i say…

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Something tacky and binding like linseed oil or wheelsmith/dt spoke prep is all you should use. Most system wheels have either a requirement for loctite, or include a nylock ring in the nipple to stop them turning when unloaded.. Exactly the opposite of grease.
    I tend to build them dry and then give them a squirt of silicone afterwards to keep the water out. Never had issues with them loosing tension, and only happy customers.

Northwind

Stans say this on the subject:

Spokes and Spoke Nipples:
    You must lubricate your spoke nipples to aid in the
    truing process. The rim does not use eyelets. NoTubes
    recommends synthetic 0 weight oil but any light oil
    will work.

kudos100
    Free Member

In my experience, superstar products are decent. The customer service, not so much.

I once ordered some bits and the order came through without the grips. When I emailed to say that they had forgotten to send the grips, they told me they needed photographic evidence of the receipt, along with a picture of what I had recieved. As you can imagine I was a bit pissed off by this.

The way I see it is that Superstar have a monopoly on supplying dirt cheap parts, and as a result can get away with shitty customer service and people will still buy stuff, as it is such good value.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

yeah…i guess i’m using “grease” interchangeably with “lube”. i use the green finish line lube.
    further evidence to ignore all i say…

😆

unklehomered
    Free Member

When I emailed to say that they had forgotten to send the grips, they told me they needed photographic evidence of the receipt, along with a picture of what I had recieved

Because if you had received the grips and were pulling a fast one, there would be no way you could supply such a picture, by photoshopping out the grips from the picture, hiding them under another item, or, if you were really evil, just not including them in the picture in the first place! 😯

Basic thing is I know they operate with tiny margins, that’s their business model. But they could be so popular and sell more things if they were not just dicks to deal with and stopped blaming other people for everything.

PS. I too always oil my nipples when putting tension on my rim. 😉

phatstanley
    Free Member

PS. I too always oil my nipples when putting tension on my rim.

i always knew i was in good company on this forum… 😛

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

i always knew i was in good company on this forum…

😆

Be a dear and pass the flange grease, would you?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

If you paid the bike shop to fix and they didn’t, I’d take it back to them.
    Its pretty much given superstar a get out of jail card. As a third party has been involved.

phatstanley
    Free Member

Be a dear and pass the flange grease, would you?

now, i’m a happily married 40 sumpfink heterosexual male, but did my heart just flutter, or was that a palpitation……..?? 😉

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

now, i’m a happily married 40 sumpfink heterosexual male, but did my heart just flutter, or was that a palpitation……..??

😆

Cheezpleez

Anyone else had poorly tensioned Hope hoops? My 29er Crests pinged like mad when first ridden and the back wheel needs a complete rebuild after about three months. My SS wheel sets were much better

deftone1984
    Free Member

so after some more terrible customer service and choice words from their best employees……the wheels showed up! (all be it at my old address ?!). Did exactly the same after one ride…….lost my temper and went straight home and bought some Flow EX on Pro 2’s. They’ve been great so far….lessons learn
    a)cheaper isnt always better
    b)superstar have the worst customer service ive ever experienced
    c)superstar have the worst customer service ive ever experienced
    d)see b+c

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Lube nipples lube spoke eyelets, usually with old for oil, tension with no loctite after. An equally tensioned wheel shouldn’t lose tension without nipple freeze

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Buy cheap, buy twice.

leeroybrown
    Free Member

Do you want to sell them deftone ?
    I am not taking the piss, I’ve built lots of wheels I am interested in sorting these out

ojom
    Free Member

Basic thing is I know they operate with tiny margins, that’s their business model. But they could be so popular and sell more things if they were not just dicks to deal with and stopped blaming other people for everything.

When you are buying in from Taiwan and selling to retail level skipping the distribution bit your margin will not be tiny. Unless you are doing something stupid with your calculator.

deftone1984
    Free Member

ive just had them back and got rid of them….

3dvgirl
    Free Member

They wouldn’t know customer service if it bit them on the ass!

funny that i once had a argument with them on the phone that resulted in me telling them to ram a component that they had sold me up there ass.

unklehomered
    Free Member

not up your own? curious, that could be interpreted as superior customer service, chain reaction and wiggle just refund…

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Superstar Components HELP!?!’ is closed to new replies.