Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Superstar components headset or stick with hope?
  • vondally
    Free Member

Building up a bike for SO, and require a headset….do I risk a superstar components one, sick with hope or go for something else?
    Require a top zs44 and bottom ec44 hope h.

It will morph into a winter bike…well it will be pouring down by July…so reliable headset is good!

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve had a couple of SSC headsets and they’ve been fine.

Hope are really, really good though.

Pay your money and take your choice.

militantmandy
    Free Member

My girlfriends bike has done about 1.5 years and 2500 hard miles, including a trip to Madeira and one to Finale and her Hope headset is still super smooth with no play at all. I’m not into the fancy colours (or their brakes for that matter) but it does seem like they know how to make good spinny things.

damascus
    Free Member

Sick of hope or stick with hope?

I normally have hope headsets and bottom brackets but my scandal came with a headset that was about £10. I thought it will do just to get me going.

I smothered it in good quality headset grease and I’ve routinely stripped and serviced it and itsas been fine.

I’ve never touched a hope headset.

So it depends if you want fit and forest?

vondally
    Free Member

Yes usually hope headsets, cannot fault them but I have to buy another headset as none in the shed fit.

So £80 Vs £35…..

andrewh
    Free Member

I’ve got a Hope seat clamp.
    I broke the bolt last Saturday, my fault. I emailed them asking if I could buy a bolt separately and how to pay them direct.
    Didn’t hear a peep from them, but a new bolt dropped through the letter box this morning, no note, no invoice, nothing. They were the same when I broke my Vision1 light, no questions asked, repaired light appeared again a few days later.
    They dont say much but cant fault the customer service. As a result I have many, many Hope bits spread across various bikes.
    I’d stick with Hope. They are usually pretty robust but on the odd occasion they aren’t they’ll sort you out.

andrewh
    Free Member

Yes usually hope headsets, cannot fault them but I have to buy another headset as none in the shed fit.

So £80 Vs £35…..

Second hand Hope?

teethgrinder

Well, it’s not for your bike, is it…

docrobster
    Free Member

Well, it’s not for your bike, is it…

This+1

poah
    Free Member

unless you need a colour why bother. Black nukeproof neutron one is cheap enough.

I broke the bolt last Saturday, my fault. I emailed them asking if I could buy a bolt separately and how to pay them direct

Bolts are £8 and come in different colours.

Phil_H

The Nukeproof headset on my clockwork has been reliable & you can buy individual cups to suit what you need.

Sheriff_Fatman

I put a Superstar headset into the last frame I built back up – the quality and bearings seemed pretty good and it appears to have survived this winter with no issues. I’m just about to start building a new ti touring bike frame up and had looked at putting a Hope headset in, but due to colour/stock and current price I’ve ended up just getting another Superstar one – this is 1-1/8 external in both cases though.

I just figured I could get two Superstar ones for less than the price of the Hope, and rarely seem to have headset issues, so may as well spend less…

DezB
    Free Member

I did buy a second hand frame in 2015 with a Hope headset fitted. Sold the frame last year and had never touched the headset.
    Only one previously I’d had last that long was a FSA Orbit, which cost about £18.
    Puts the Cane Creek ones into perspective I suppose. They are shit.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I have a Hope headset in my best bike and it has been a trouble free fit and forget dream.  I also have two Superstar headsets in less favoured bikes and they actually appear to be just as good.  Well sealed and no bother.

stevextc
    Free Member

POAH

unless you need a colour why bother. Black nukeproof neutron one is cheap enough.

Headsets for me are one or the other… Nukeproof/Brand-X or Hope …

If you don’t mind changing cheap bearings when you do a fork service then NP/Brand-X .. if you don’t want to bother checking/replacing bearings Hope. I still wipe and re-grease anyway so wasted money for me and it takes all of a minute.

What I can’t understand are the crap + expensive headsets … like Superstar or FSA.

I’ve swapped out all the FSA Orbits for NP when the bearings needed changing. Never had to change a Hope one. 2 I put in to convert a straight steerer (at the time that was Hope or CC) – both outlasted our use of the bike and I know for one the second owner as well. (The Cannondale)

The other Hope came with my frame and has never needed new bearings either but like I say its a 1 minute job when servicing forks anyway but I suppose if people like to pressure wash their headsets the Hope might be worth it.

mattyfez

My FSA one seems OK, I couldn’t tell you what model it was, just what the LBS fitted when I said ‘something decent but not too expensive’.

ajantom

I put a superstar headset on my Krampus when I first built it up in 2013.
    Still going strong with original bearings.
    It’s not my only bike, but probably done at least 6000km on it in that time.

vondally
    Free Member

Went with superstar just to see what happens…all in the name of research

endomick
    Free Member

I’m running the zs44 upper on one bike and it’s been faultless, I went Hope for zs56 bottom as superstar one has issues with overly tight bearing fit after installation in some frames, but their ec44 won’t have that problem so should be decent, its sealed crown race is similar to Hopes.

scratch
    Free Member

I thought as soon as you stopped fitting it with rocks you’d be reet? Have they still got a bad rep after all these years?

Northwind

Nothing wrong with Superstar headsets. Pretty standard simple design.

That said, I’d still go with whatever the cheapest cane creek with cartridge bearings is these days, that’s never seen me wrong.

AlasdairMc

I’ve just fitted a Superstar to my new frame, and it seems really well made. It’s two bearing cups, split crown race, and some bearings. Simple, half the price of Hope – which I’ve used for years on other bikes.

butcher

I can’t speak for either but as somebody who rides in all conditions I don’t recall the last time I had a headset fail and I’ve never paid more than £25 for one. They get moved from bike, outliving most other components. In my experience the only thing that prematurely kills headsets is the jet wash.

dc1988

I’ve had better experiences recently with Superstar headsets than Hope, I wouldn’t buy Hope again given the price.

dirkpitt74

Nukeproof, superstar or Brand-X in that order are my go to.

zerocool

Nothing wrong with Superstar components.

kern
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with either, the only problem with Superstar is the silly name and how people view the company, they initially got their marketing very wrong and have never fully recovered. Lets be honest, there aren’t many ‘bad’ brands in the industry these days.

asbrooks

A bearing is a bearing and headset a headset. You get varying qualities.

Yes the hope headset looks nice, so do the Chris King ones for that matter. But at the end of the day it’s that bearing that they put in that’s doing the work.

I for one have never had anything better than a Aerozine XH12 which was already in a frame that I bought second hand and never have replaced the bearings. Never replaced the bearings in any other bikes I’ve owned.

Each time the fork comes out, I just clean everything give it a smear of grease and put it all back together.

superstarcomponents
    Free Member

Cheers for all the comments based on “perceptions” from people who value marketing and branding over a quality U.K. made product which I presume they haven’t even used or seen from their description.

Makes me laugh when people slate our own brand products when we also make the other brand they recommend. We are making four figure numbers of headsets a month now in-house and I can’t remember a problem other than people fitting bearings upside down occasionally.

Anyway back to more important things than listening to people who aren’t our customer as we aren’t expensive enough for their ego.

I’ll focus on keeping up with demand on our U.K. made products and making all the medical stuff we do as well….

Neil SuperstarComponents

thegreatape
    Free Member

Every mention of your stuff on this thread is positive but you’ve still got a chip on your shoulder. Let it go mate.

superstarcomponents
    Free Member

I see you didn’t really get that…

Yup, lots of positive comments from actual users

Negative comments as well from people who clearly haven’t used.

Thing which grates is people saying should I “risk” SuperstarComponents parts. No need to think like that as we stand by our product and make quality parts in the U.K.

Funny thing the internet

Neil SuperstarComponents

jca

We have long memories…

tjagain

Oh look – it that famous Neil customer service.

superstarcomponents
    Free Member

Hi TJ. I know you can’t help but troll about products you haven’t actually bought.

If you was a customer you probably would have a different opinion.

Happy trolling

Neil SuperstarComponents

5plusn8
    Free Member

I buy superstar kit all the time and find the quality to be great.
    I have had hit and miss experience with hope, two broken hubs, a headset that one bearing used to fail all the time and the wheel QR’s were dreadful. (That being said I would not buy a QR unless it had shimano stamped on it, as no other comes close.)
    The superstar brake pads were shit, but that was 10 years ago.

chakaping
    Free Member

Had anyone actually said SSC headsets were crap on here?

Talk about chippy.

Kahurangi

I’m gonna ignore Neil popping up in this thread but My superstar slack headset has been great. Good to support UK manufacturing and it doesn’t eat bearings for breakfast like the Cane creek that came on the bike.

Cheap & durable & UK made & octopron

win win win!

superstarcomponents
    Free Member

Chapaking yes. Just the one…

Sorry I was just so shook by SuperstarComponents being described as EXPENSIVE and crap. Blew my mind. My sarcasm at the love of marketing bull in the bike industry obviously didn’t come through clear enough.

As you can see plenty of happy customers. We wouldn’t be still in business a decade and a half on if they weren’t.

Suns out. Go ride your bikes and be happy. Vondally your headset will no doubt be going out today. Any probs just email rather than start a decade long troll war please. I’m sure you will love it

Neil SuperstarComponents

benz
    Free Member

Have both fitted to some bikes. Last one I bought was Superstar. They have come a long way since rebranded catalogue items of many years back. I also liked that fact I could select different colour top and bottom cups….

Both brands will work just perfectly, but if purchase cost a consideration, get Superstar.

Murray

I haven’t got a Superstar headset because my stupid Camber has the bearings fitted straight in the frame.

I do have a 30T 104bcd chainring (I’m old and unfit) and some 12 speed jockey wheels from Superstar which I’m very happy with.

I’ve also got a Hope bottom bracket to replace the PF41 rubbish that Specialized fitted.

Great to have choice of good quality UK made components.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Superstar components headset or stick with hope?’ is closed to new replies.