Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • superstar components and 10 under the ben
  • radoggair
    Free Member

Total respect to the guys doing 11 laps solo though

Just to clarify, only 1 person out of the whole solo field completed 11 laps 😆

martinxyz
    Free Member

jeremy.. from what ive gathered in the past i would guess that you keep on top of your brakes by keeping the pistons clean and always keep them running freely with no drag. unfortunately the amount of folk that have brakes running poorly (when they think they are running perfectly well) is quite high. Ive gathered this from the shops ive worked in and one other thing.. if folk bedded a number of sets of pads in and took them to the races they would get better life from them.as for folk boasting/complaining about going through dozens of pads in one event.. try asking any mechanic on here that can slip a set of worn out pads from a hydraulic brake and fit and forget a new set without having to clean and reset pistons.If they say they can do it with never having to do a little extra work then its lies.so how can the riders expect a set of pads to be running freely after they just slapped a new set in under the bloody moonlight at 3am with no extra fettling?! the amount of pads replaced at races will be suffering the premature wear through this lack of going the whole hog on getting things running spot on ..and thats acceptable seeing as how time is precious but some folk have got to learn that its not all about pad quality and how bad the conditions are.

has anyone gone to the likes of the puffer with half a dozen sets of avid pads for their BB7s and ran them with heaps of clearance either side to help prevent the crap from constantly wearing the material? you would have to accept a little more lever travel but surely this is the answer to a lot of probs some folk are having.

martinxyz
    Free Member

..or is a bb7 just far too poor,powerless and heavy for you all? ;O)

trail_rat
    Free Member

Nice try but bb7 theory doesnt work

Tried it at first puffer i did started with the pads right back – ended up aving to stop half way round to wind em in to actually have brakes and still wore out the pads in a lap .

DickBarton

Those new brakes from the far east…TPC or something, they are pistonless and have a lot more pad movement from the seal rather than a piston – can't recall the name of them now, but they appear to be a 1 piece unit with red pipes at either end for fluid transfer – the pipes are external to aid cooling (and look cool) – saw a couple of bikes with them on at 10UTB and although the lever throw is too much for my liking, they did seem to have plenty space between rotor and pad…

luked2
    Free Member

…fit and forget a new set without having to clean and reset pistons.If they say they can do it with never having to do a little extra work then its lies.

With the Shimano deore brakes it's very easy to replace pads and reset the pistons, both in the comfort of your garage and out in the wilds. Pair of pliers (also useful for removing thorns) and a multitool is all you need.

Perhaps other makes are as well (but Avid hydraulics seem to be more of a nuisance in this respect, unless I've not got the technique right).

njee20
    Free Member

Those new brakes from the far east…TPC or something,

Ashima PCB (Pancake Brake)

Look interesting, very light too considering the price.

DickBarton

Aye that is them…they looked nice on the bikes I saw them on but as I said, seemed to have too much lever pull for my personal liking…I don't like a lot of lever travel.

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘superstar components and 10 under the ben’ is closed to new replies.