Superstar 24in wheelset

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Superstar 24in wheelset
  • Premier Icon timtom888
    Subscriber

Anyone have any experience with the new elements 24in wheelset’s from superstar? I’m curious to how much they weigh? I’ve messaged superstar a couple of times but have had no reply.

Not sure if I go for these or spend the extra £70 and go with a crest/novatec build?

Any thoughts greatfully recived!

poah

send an email to Lukasz Ryz ryz@fitwheels.eu for a crest build. For 350 you’ll be able to get a dam good build. I got Samuel’s wheels from him. 401 euros posted for 240s front 350 rear with aerolight spokes. 565g front 710g rear

BearBack

Worth noting the older crest rims above are only 21mm internal but on closeout from stans so excellent vfm
    Superstars element and new improved crest mk3 are 23mm so depends on your intended use/tyre choice
    27mm internal spawn 1700g as a gravity wheelset are available and also great vfm (before shipping from Canada)
    Interested to know a weight if you get one as they look like they’d make a great dj wheelset for the next project

turnip

hello sorry we didnt get your message, where did you try messaging us so we can try and work out why you havent had a reply?

we only do actual weights not estimates, and we have been so flat out on building all the wheels for the January offer we have got behind on photos and weights. We have more hubs landing on friday so we can get more stock built and weighed.

the rims themselves are about 30g more than crests in real life but from a durability point of view they are far better than crests. The only rim we warrantied last year for failing was stans, we do sell alot of them so its a bit harsh but true, crests were the worst offender and i think they are a bit flimsy personally. If they put such a low spoke tension limit on them it says alot.

The element rims are fit and forget basically. If it was my money thats where it would be.

If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me on here or facebook

Neil Superstar

BearBack

@superstarcomponents
    Failures on 24″ crest mk3?
    My eldest has run his mk3s for a summer of bike park and squamish/whistler trail riding with no problems on his ripcord, although built with sapim nipple washers
    Any sales on the element 24 incoming?

yes, not many but notable as the only rim we have had issues with last year. We do sell alot of them, but no where near as many as our own brand rims. They are mega light but thats probblay the trade off. All got warrantied no problem with paligap but its a pain for the customer and we have to stump up for the cost of new spokes/build/box/labour etc out of our own funds to send out a fresh wheelset, we only get a credit for the rim.

Sales, unlikely currently as we are struggling to build enough V6 hubs to keep up with demand. FYI sales are decided usually about 5 minutes before they go live, so even i cant tell what decision will be made in the future!

Neil Superstar

Premier Icon timtom888
    Subscriber

thanks for the reply,

I used the link on the site – contact@superstarcomponants.com -?

Im happy with a slight weight penalty over a more reliable rim.

Do you have a rough idea on wheel set weights – 1400 ish?

Premier Icon timtom888
    Subscriber

posh – cheers for that, I’ve dropped a message to him. will see what comes back!

Thanks

There’s a typo in the link provided above

@superstarcomponents.com">Contact@superstarcomponents.com

Neil – superstar

Premier Icon timtom888
    Subscriber

Sorry, my poor spelling!

I clicked the email link on your contact page and sent an email?

If you get hubs on fri, could you have a weigh in of all the component parts to see where they end up weight wise?

Cheers!

BearBack

@timtom888 did you get a weight on these wheels?

paulwf

30% off code with upgrademe

I have just gone for a pair for my sons bike. Was going to go with novatec/crest but these will be a good upgrade compared to the stock Orbea rims on his bike

paulwf

They have just arrived. On the kitchen scales they weigh 1709g.
    Look very nice

Premier Icon timtom888
    Subscriber

Thanks for the update, interesting to hear how much they weigh. I went with a crest / novatec build with double butted spokes for around 270 with valves and tape.

They weigh in around 1420,

Burchy1

@timtom888 was that a home build or bought from somewhere. If so where was that?

Premier Icon timtom888
    Subscriber

Bought a second hand set of mk2 rims on eBay along with hubs and had the spokes cut and laced up by the lbs.

BearBack

Todays build, 24″ 28h crest mk3 on a $20 used 3-pawl DT 370 hub (with 240 axle, 10mm end caps, new shimano driver body to replace the XD).
    Sapim D-light, Sapim HM washers and DT Squorx pro lock nips.
    719g.
    Brood Maxtion 2.3 tyre, mounted tubeless 565g
    crest mk3

Good times to be a kid
    https://tinyurl.com/y58t4tfn

Premier Icon Rich_s
    Subscriber

Can’t see the pic bb but nice spec. Is the 240 axle a lot lighter than the 370? Or did you fit it for another reason?

BearBack

Only a paltry 7g lighter but it has an o-ring recess to keep the DS end caps in place and I have a bag full of them… gave up on doing a star ratchet conversion so threw some parts bin stuff at it 🙂

BearBack

Todays build
    Superstar Ultra-LITE front hub (thanks @dirkpitt74)
    Stans Crest mk2 32h rim
    DT Competition spokes
    DT alloy Proloc nips with Sapim/Newmen MG washers
    660g with double wrap Stans rim tape
    Scales must be off.. seems porky 😉 but ready for kiddy DJ duties

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.