Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Supermoto?
  • mmchutchon
    Free Member

It was mentioned in Fresh Goods last week that it might be cool to make a Supermoto bike from a long travel 29er.

Thing is, Supermoto bikes have smaller rather than larger wheels so 26″ wheels would be the way to go.

As my commuter (2000 Azonic DS1 with 2001 Z1 Bombers) is out of action for a drivetrain swap I’ve popped my Maxxis xenith slicks onto my Patriot.

It’s mental! Super fast, and you get masses of feel from the tarmac with tyres at 60psi, it’s quite a revelation how much of the ‘plush’ ride is down to the tyre sidewalls. I already knew my 36R forks are outclassed by the Cane Creek, but with slicks on the difference is more pronounced. It also gives me an idea what the bike would feel like with stupid light rims as i’ve lost ~200g per wheel.

I think I might keep the bike like this for a wee while! My commute to work should be even more lairy than usual tomorrow…

What do you think?

johnellison
    Free Member

Personally I’d get some Maxxis Hookworms on it – way fatter at 2.5″ wide. Weigh a tonne though, but they look more like motorbike tyres.

chives
    Free Member

I used 1.5″ city jets on my 140mm travel hardtail for last years’ Wiggle Jurassic Classic 100k charity effort. Wouldn’t exactly call it super moto though.

[/url] 40mph worth of concentration

I did overtake a few roadies on the way down into Sidmouth though!

mattsccm
    Free Member

Now for several years I have been thinking that this is the missing niche. There are several roads near Rhayder that would suit this sport, one has mostly tarmac and the other has good tarmac. Road down hilling with whopping big slicks and huge discs.

jameso

Quality )

Supermoto tourer here, uknowzit..

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Does putting Hookworms on a 2008 Enduro count?

OK, what about if I make the “bwaaaarp, bwaaarp” noises as well? 😉

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Supermoto?’ is closed to new replies.