Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • "superior" bike shops
  • fadda

Just been in to a lbs to see if I could spend some money on an anti-chainsuck plate.

The response was a look of confused horror, followed by an assertion that if I’m getting chainsuck and I don’t know what to do about it, then I should bring the bike into the workshop and let someone qualified sort it out for me.

Whilst I understand that the problem can be reduced by micro-perfect set up, I just wanted some added protection for my carbon frame, which I explained.

I was then told that he couldn’t think of a bike shop that would be able to provide such a thing.

I then called my usual lbs, which is a small-town shop, to be told that they had a second-hand one there that they’d put my name on, and I can pick it up on Saturday in exchange for a skinny Latte from the coffee shop.

Guess where I shall go the next time I need something…

jam-bo

chainreaction?

fadda

Not after the last time, jam bo!

cheese@4p

LOL, nice one jb

bland

chainsuck is down to wear and not setup though.

Some shops like that cater for the 90% market that is not you and me who have worked in a LBS, rode over half your life and get bored at trail centres (the 10% minority)

Trekster

How will the plate fit to your bike?

I had/have one for my old Bontrager but there are 2 threaded bosses to attach it to the frame. Other ways to attach were to fit across chainstays ni a clamping sort of way, very rough`n ready!!!
    Not sure I would want to do that on a carbon frame.
    Is the frame not built with a strengthened area anyway?

geordiemick00
    Free Member

I only use CRC’s, Wiggle’s etc if they have stock and my LBS can’t get it quickly, I can’t be bothered waiting for the box to be delivered (when I won’t be in anyway) and I’d rather touchy feely than support a large tin box warehouse outfit who don’t support anything other than their own race teams…

Kuco

than support a large tin box warehouse outfit who don’t support anything other than their own race teams…

Unlike Chain Reaction sponsoring the ITU triathlon and other events?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Merlin is my LBS. There is one in town who helps people who cant fix punctures, change tyres or work out why their gears are skipping

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I only use CRC’s, Wiggle’s etc if they have stock and my LBS can’t get it quickly, I can’t be bothered waiting for the box to be delivered (when I won’t be in anyway) and I’d rather touchy feely than support a large tin box warehouse outfit who don’t support anything other than their own race teams…

I wish I had that sort of choice. Lack of money and lack of a LBS means that I have to shop on line.

nixon_fiend
    Free Member

Living in London – I miss the sort of bike shops I remember from oop north.

The london stores are 90% staffed by students and young eastern europeans who are paid a pittance and know next to nothing – except about giant’s new hybrid range. They also charge ridiculous amounts of money for servicing – and often with poorly trained mechanics (i.e. 70 quid for a same-day service that involves “checking” your bike – the prices for actual SERVICING are charged on top!!)

There are some really good London stores (Mosquito, Condor etc.) but they tend to be a bit uninterested unless you’re a banker looking to spend your bonus.

Places like Wheelbase, Chevin cycles, JD cycles, Stif (stores with long-term staff who ride/race) are sorely missed

rocketman
    Free Member

We have an lbs that is owned by an ex Olympian and the smug factor is off the scale. I have a tenuous connection with the owner so it doesn’t really bother me but his staff try it on with anyone and everyone who goes in. The shop’s reputation is legendary but it still attracts well-heeled customers.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘"superior" bike shops’ is closed to new replies.