• This topic has 32 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by JoeG.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Superglue on wounds?
  • hora
    Free Member

Sod all chance of finding medical superglue. Anyone used normal superglue on a gash or bad cut?

Apparently the superglue dries regardless of blood present.

Drac

Is this for your finger? You did go and get it looked at didn’t you?

hora
    Free Member

I did- I’ve got Flucloxacillin as it was infected. All was well until I pulled on my shirt this morning and ripped it open again. I can’t face going back.

retro83
    Free Member

Have you been watching Dog Soldiers?

wwaswas

what Drac said.

Having seen the cut I’d be looking at getting a professional in, not buying a glue gun from b&q and hoping for the best.

Drac

I did- I’ve got Flucloxacillin as it was infected. All was well until I pulled on my shirt this morning and ripped it open again. I can’t face going back.

Champion.

teethgrinder

I have used normal superglue on finger cuts before, and I still have them all. I did use a new tube each time, though.

From what I remember about superglue, the presence of moisture actively encourages it to set, though if there is a lot of blood, the glue will set with a bloody-red tinge.

roper
    Free Member

You don’t need glue.

This is what you need for ALL medical emergencies or repairs.

martinhutch

Don’t glue it up if it’s possibly still infected.

I’ve used superglue on skin flappers on fingers ripped open when climbing, and it’s done the job pretty well, but it’s not something I’d recommend wholeheartedly, and not when there is the hint of infected tissue underneath.

Alphabet

I keep some handy when I’m shearing my sheep in case I cut them.

brack
    Free Member

Without seeing it difficult to say.

But if wound already infected and i’m guessing it’s already a few days old… I’d suggest that the wound edges are gaff and so the wound will not seal/ heal properly.

May need debriding.

For the sake of a few hours go get it professionally sorted!

boltonjon

Used to use superglue all the time to fix cuts when mechanicing and none of them fell of

However, if you’ve got an infection, i’d be sorting that first!

brack
    Free Member

Superglue in General is fine but you can’t guarantee it’s sterility, it also gets hot wheras medical glue sets without such a violent ‘hot’ chemical reaction.

Hora is a tad too late to be messing around with DIY fixes

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’d vote Glue it if it’s not infected and of course the wound must be clean.
    I’ve done it loads whilst racing Boats etc. and I still type with a full set of pinkies..

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’d go back and get it seen to just in case.
    But for future reference my best mate is a surgical consultant and always uses standard superglue.

Northwind

I’ve used it to tack edges back together but not to try to totally seal a wound- think butterfly stitches. And I remember Nurse Hathaway doing it to Ewan Macgregor in ER so it must be alright.

maccruiskeen

I keep some handy when I’m shearing my sheep in case I cut them.

Is this a euphemism for a boyzilian?

hora
    Free Member

Noted for future – I’ll keep a brand new tube handy. I WILL use it as some point. My hands are criss-crossed with multiple deep scars. This is the first time I’ve had an infected one- the big glass greenhouse must have been harbouring stuff as I washed it out immediately.

Drac

the big glass greenhouse must have been harbouring stuff as I washed it out immediately.

It’s glass it can break down into tiny little fragments when it cuts into, horrible stuff.

hora
    Free Member

I know – it was a wee bit painful cleaning it all out.

stu1972
    Free Member

Once slipped and sunk a Stanley knife all the way into my palm. Quick wash out then glued with loctite cyanoacrylate. Held up fine!

Houns

Super glue it, then stick it up your arse to keep it sterile then go to Drs to get it checked out

CountZero

There really are a bunch of risk-averse people on here! Wusses. I’ve been using Cyanoacrylate glue for years, because I work with paper and card and sharp knives, and I’m always getting cuts, got one on my thumb this morning, in fact, and when you’re handling mail that’s going out to clients, you don’t want bloodstains all over the letters and envelopes. I’ve yet to have any serious complications after fifteen to twenty years of using it for cuts, some really pretty deep ones; corrugated cardboard has very sharp edges!
    As for it getting hot, how much are you putting on, fer Chris’sakes?
    The tiny amount needed to seal a cut on a finger is never going to get hot, warm possibly.
    Jeez, grow some!

chorlton
    Free Member

These’ll make you feel better. 🙂

brack
    Free Member

Calm down CZ :@)

Jeez man your getting all bear grylls again. I did actually say superglue is fine….but the reason it’s use is not widely advised upon is because to certain folk and using certain products it can have a negative reaction.

Not everyone is as ‘bear or ard’ as you mate..evolution will one day allow you to reach the point of rational thinking that some of us have reached.

You will learn that ‘fight or flight’ is great for getting you away from nasty animal – but that hurty finger of horas requires a bit more thought than fighting or flighting.

Drac

I never realised life in the postal room was so dangerous and hard core.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I was in A&E about 4 weeks ago with a nice flap on the end of my middle finger. The nurse there closed the flap with steri-strips before applying the medical superglue stuff. The key thing is to close the wound up to promote proper healing and keep out any crap and reduce risk of infection. Just dabbing on superglue over the wound without ensuring the wound was closed will probably cause more risk of complications than anything. Obviously the most important thing whatever is to clean the wound before applying any dressings or glue.

tonyd

Anecdotal but I wanted to share, I once knew a chap (ex nightclub bouncer turned car sprayer) who occasionally did his own dentistry. He had a bad tooth so pulled it out himself and sterilised the hole with gin. He then tried to stick the tooth onto his false tooth plate thingy using some kind of car bodywork filler/glue.

When that didn’t work out too well he took out the false teeth plate thing, heated it with a blow torch, and stuck the tooth into the melted plate. Of course once it had been heated up it lost it’s original shape and wouldn’t go back into his mouth properly, so next he heated it all up again (with the pulled tooth) and stuck the whole lot into his mouth, moulding it into place with his tongue and fingers. Needless to say his eyes were watering a bit.

I’m all for taking the strain off of the NHS but you have to draw the line somewhere.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Worked for me when I cut the end of my thumb off whilst chopping veg pissed.

Only prob was that the bit I stuck on was a bit numb for a few months.

stavromuller
    Free Member

The tooth story reminds me of a mate, who I once found supergluing a crown back in place, he stopped pdq when I told him superglue is a derivative of cyanide

Alphabet

LOL at maccruiskeen 😆 It’s not a euphemism.

JoeG
    Free Member

Real men use gunpowder to stop bleeding! 😉

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksE5IuLR10c[/video]

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Superglue on wounds?’ is closed to new replies.